TUF - McGregor vs Chandler Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

Anyone watched episode one yet? I didn’t bother and I highly doubt I’ll start because I just can’t be listening to the coked up twat. But Dana was asked last night by the media about Conor possibly not fighting Chandler. He didn’t commit to anything but it didn’t exactly sound promising…

I’ve had a feeling ever since this fight was announced that it’s not happening. Conor dragging his feet on getting back in the USADA pool (he’s STILL not in it) backed that up. And then everything I’ve seen of him since, he just doesn’t look like a guy who’s preparing for a fight in any way shape or form. He’s looked off his tits pretty much every time I’ve seen him for months now. I keep seeing his fans going ‘what, he’s not allowed to have fun between fights?’ But when it’s every time you see him, coupled with the delaying the USADA thing for months on end, it’s not looking good. And it’s not what he used to be about at all. Remember when he always used to say he “stayed ready so he didn’t have to get ready”? I think he’s at the point where, as much as he talks a good game, he’s pretty much done fighting at any kind of meaningful level. He clearly still loves the reputation and status that comes with being an elite fighter but I genuinely think it’s more about getting that attention and fan worship now than anything. He craves it. I read that the UFC have applied for a Dec 16th date in Vegas, which will probably be the big end of year PPV and would seem like the likely destination for this McGregor vs Chandler fight. But even to make that date, McGregor’s gonna have to get a move on with this USADA shit to be good to go for that one. He’s saying all the right things but his actions are the complete opposite of someone who’s gearing up for a big fight. There’s no urgency to actually get the things done that need to be done. 

• Paid Members

I caught the first episode. It was OK, but I doubt I'll watch any more. The size of Conor, with that huge Growth Hormone head, is ridiculous. He looks like a fucking Funko Pop! No way he's passing any type of USADA test any time soon. I'd be shocked if the fight happens this year, if at all.

• Paid Members

I watched it. I'm also highly doubtful the fight takes place, but as an episode it was decent. I like the Vets vs. Prospects concept, and i'm fully on board to support the Vets side. That has nothing to do with rooting against Conor, i'm just a fan of some of the guys on that side, a couple having been doing pretty well outside the UFC since being cut too so it's nice to see them getting another crack at it, a few of them are probably too good to actually go the TUF route. 

Timur Valiev is a weird one though. 2-1 in the UFC, cut after one loss in March and goes into the TUF house without actually having a fight since, odd move.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think he’s at the point where, as much as he talks a good game, he’s pretty much done fighting at any kind of meaningful level

That point was 2018. Proper 12 marked the start of his downfall.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, neil said:

Yeah I think it was a combination of a few things but the big 3 for me were the Mayweather payday, Proper 12 and then the Khabib loss was the one that tipped him over the edge. I think the money rolling in from the Floyd fight and the whisky was the beginning of the end and then Khabib ruined him physically and mentally. If you look back at the timeline and when all those headlines of Conor getting into criminal/rapey shit outside the cage, the vast majority of it came post-Khabib. 

On 6/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, neil said:

Or the start of his uptick, depending on how you look at it. Despite his self-destructive tendencies he's seemingly been smart enough to leave the financial decisions to his management team at Paradigm, which is probably the smartest decision he's ever made.

He's fallen away physically, but he's in the best shape of his life financially, which is more important. He's fucking about and not caring about fighting simply because every morning when he wakes up he's richer than he was when he went to bed the night before. He doesn't need to fight.

I feel for Chandler mind you, because he's gonna get left without the promised payday.

Just now, neil said:

Unfortunately watching peoples bank accounts grow isn't a sport I'm in to. Each to their own.

Yeah, me neither. Just commenting on how his wealth has grown despite his behaviour becoming more bizarre and borderline criminal. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

anyone still watching this? i've seen it all upto now. McGregor is having a bit of a mare at 5-0 down but as a show it's typcial modern era-TUF. Next to no actual drama or reality style show, the episodes really work at build up's and hype packages for each fighter and subsequent fight. It's passable entertainment but McGregor's involvement is a bit of a non-event.

I've been catching it on-demand when I remember. I quite like the fact that it gives these guys a bit of background and personality. 

It's pretty clear though that Chandler knows what he's doing, and McGregor isn't arsed. Even his coaches don't seem to know what he's up to one minute from the next. And now that he's not in the testing pool it looks unlikely we'll get the fight.