TUF - McGregor vs Chandler Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

Still haven’t bothered with this but I saw this on Twitter earlier and it made me chuckle.

IMG-4078.jpg

A 36 year old prospect vs a 31 year old veteran. Make it make sense. I know it’s not all about age when it comes to this stuff, although 36 for a ‘prospect’ seems hilarious. You could be a veteran at 31 though. But it makes no sense here. The veteran Azure is 10-3 and made his pro MMA debut in 2017. The ‘prospect’ DiSciullo is 11-2-0-1 and debuted in 2013. So he’s had 1 more fight and turned pro 4 years earlier than the veteran? 🤣 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Still haven’t bothered with this but I saw this on Twitter earlier and it made me chuckle.

IMG-4078.jpg

A 36 year old prospect vs a 31 year old veteran. Make it make sense. I know it’s not all about age when it comes to this stuff, although 36 for a ‘prospect’ seems hilarious. You could be a veteran at 31 though. But it makes no sense here. The veteran Azure is 10-3 and made his pro MMA debut in 2017. The ‘prospect’ DiSciullo is 11-2-0-1 and debuted in 2013. So he’s had 1 more fight and turned pro 4 years earlier than the veteran? 🤣 

Only way it might make more sense is if Azure's matches have been generally at a higher level than DiSciullo's. But it's still a bit of a reach.

I have zero idea why they've used the "prospects vs veterans" angle on this series. What it basically is, is guys who have fought previously in the UFC going up against guys who haven't.

McGregor's fans are using the "prospects vs veterans" angle as an excuse for Connor's pathetic attempts at "coaching" by claiming that Chandler has guys who are older and more experienced, while Connor has been stuck with young guys who are raw and inexperienced.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's been decent. The episode where Conor's old-ass prospect won was the best of the series so far. 

I like the veteran team though, they all come off well. I hope most get at least a fight in the UFC when its done. That said with the Apex shows I wouldnt be surprised if most people on the show end up getting a fight in the UFC.

@Davidi'm pretty sure Conor chose the prospects in the opening show, he was given the choice of what team he wanted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Brad Katona reciting poetry over a webcam in that weird ass accent of his was quite the moment. 

Good fight fight though between Katona/Valiev. I'd liked to have seen Timur move onto the Finale but both guys are clearly UFC level.

Katona has always been a weird one for me. He came in from the Ultimate Fighter five years ago, looked quite good, beat Jay Cucciniello in the featherweight finale, scored a win at bantamweight over Matthew Lopez, then dropped two decisions, one of which was against Merab. He got cut with a 2-2 record.

Since then, he's rattled off four wins in Brave. Seems like a guy who could come in and be a perennial prelims fighter, but there's nothing wrong with that. As long as he's fighting at a .500 clip he should be kept around. He's a known face, and that accent sets him apart. 

10 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Fucking Hell. I wasn't paying enough attention and was speaking to the wife about theatre, and thought David was on about Kerry Katona. Just for a second

Now I'm just imagining him reading the lyrics to Whole Again to his Mrs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Week behind on TUF but just watched last week's. That Holobaugh/Knight fight was grim viewing. They fought in silence, no cheering, no coaches shouting advice. Just two mates beating the absolute piss out of each other. Hard to watch at times.

Holobaugh a deserving finalist and getting his 3rd stint in the UFC, but I hope the UFC give Jason Knight another shot.