FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

The core theme of the show is that the main characters have the capacity and options to change but always choose the easy, selfish and immoral option and stay the same or get even worse.

Melfi is the sole character to make the difficult choice because it's the moral thing to do. It's the key thing that separates her from every other main character. Without showing the horrible reality of the rape that choice loses all it's power. 

Additionally it shines a mirror back at the audience where the show is saying "so you're OK with all the mafia violence and prostitute scenes but not with the reality of violence against women?". It's absolutely designed to make the viewer uncomfortable. The Sopranos would be a lesser show without it.

Yeah and the fact the audience is baying for blood wanting the terrible man to do the terrible thing we all think he’s so terrible for doing shows we’re all a diamond necklace removed from being Carmela.

• Members

Melfi is a brilliant, complex character herself. 

You forget just how infatuated with Tony she is in the early years and the need to help him, when everyone around her sees how it's affecting her.

Not sexually or romantically IMO, but she borders on obsessed with him at times.

Mad that Lorraine Bracco originally auditioned for Carmela.

Small hip hop mention as well for literally just @Chest Rockwell Her son has a Freddie Foxxx poster on his dorm wall I spotted this time.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Not sexually or romantically IMO, but she borders on obsessed with him at times.

For sure. I love the contrast from the early seasons to the later ones where she is so clearly bored and despises him and his complete lack of progress.

• Members

When Carmela gets that short pixie cut...OOOOF MADON!!! 

I never realised that Jean-Phillipe is Jean-Hugues Anglade. If you've never seen the show Braquo that he's in, it's a massive recommend from me. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Chrissy has just killed the dog. His descent is so hard to watch, as I love him so much, as I know we all do.

• Members

Double post don't care, nothing new but Edie Falcos acting performance in Whitecaps is absolutely phenomenonal. 

It completely draws me in every time and is honestly one of the most believable things I've ever seen on screen.

Just amazing.

• Paid Members

“What’s next Carmine, a million to fuck her?”

”He wants to fuck her?”

Johnny Sack, the Carmines, Ralph. What a season. Shame about all the heroin.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

“He said…she was having a 90lb mole removed from her ass. 

*Carmine staring blankly at him*

….the implication was that her ass is so big she could have a mole that size removed from it!”

Johnny having to explain the joke to Carmine and his delivery, facial expressions, the long pauses and his mannerisms kill me every time. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Christopher’s intervention gets funnier every time I see it. Hardly an intervention and more a roast that ends with a hairline skull fracture. It’s absolutey bonkers.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, FLips said:

Christopher’s intervention gets funnier every time I see it. Hardly an intervention and more a roast that ends with a hairline skull fracture. It’s absolutey bonkers.

I've watched this scene back so many times it's ridiculous. Every time something different in it makes me crack up. Like Christopher recognising the guy hosting the intervention as "that guy who stole those pork loins". It's the funniest scene ever written.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

"I said my piece Chrissy"

That's the funniest line I think, from Silvio. However, every little look and action from Paulie is golden.

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I've watched this scene back so many times it's ridiculous. Every time something different in it makes me crack up. Like Christopher recognising the guy hosting the intervention as "that guy who stole those pork loins". It's the funniest scene ever written.

“Errr we’re not here about that.”

Makes it even funnier he opens with “I know you don’t know me but…”

• Members

Yeah Sil is definitely the star of that scene. "Disgusting"

Up on series 5 now and everyone always says what Chrissy says about the dog groomer next door to the massage parlour is the funniest line, but the line a few minutes later from him about "kung pow coochie" always gets me big time.

So glad that Feech went away again. Such a shit character.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, gmoney said:

"I said my piece Chrissy"

That's the funniest line I think, from Silvio. However, every little look and action from Paulie is golden.

“What- was it barking?” From Paulie, gets me every time. It’s that subtle, almost invisible, layer of comedy that puts The Sopranos head and shoulders above the rest.