Bellator 290 - Bader vs. Fedor II (4th Feb)

Egg Shen

Bader or Fedor?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

😢

ADFC9549-CAC5-48-A4-BDD2-D05328354-B3-D.

End of a fucking era. Sad to see Fedor go out on a loss but I don’t think anyone was particularly optimistic about the result of this one. Would’ve been nice if they could’ve given him a bit more of a winnable fight. It just felt like Bader was all wrong for him. He’d already stopped him once in seconds before, there wasn’t really any reason to expect anything different in doing the rematch 4 years later. What a career though. A real legend and still has to be a top 2 or 3 Heavyweight on anyone’s list. Maybe the GOAT. Like I said, the end of an era. Is Fedor the last of that Pride era? Is that it for those guys now? With Shogun recently hanging them up, now Fedor, who’s left? Maybe there’s one or two who had one fight on a Bushido card or something but, as far as the main Pride guys, I can’t think of anyone notable who’s still active. This feels like the last of it. The ‘Last Emperor’ indeed. Actually kind of felt bad for Bader in the end. Kind of. Must’ve been quite a unique feeling to know every single MMA fan and all but about 5 people in the building are praying for your downfall. The post-fight bit was really nice with all the legends in the cage with Fedor. What a shot this is…

48-D6440-E-A031-4723-90-F3-60-C2-CFF6194

Barely watched any of the rest of it. The Brennan Ward fight was good. He put a proper beating on Homasi. Ending up skimming through Eblen vs Tokov because it looked like a rinse and repeat 5 rounds of one way traffic and we’ve all got lives to lead. Heard the hottie fight of Avsaragova vs Lara on the prelims was a bit of a controversial decision but I never watched it.

One fight I did make a point of seeing though, was the Lorenz Larkin fight. I always make sure I catch his fights and last night reminded me why.

image.gif.04c733fd133245f897e66a68fe9340bc.gif

Beautiful! Larkin never disappoints for me. Love watching him. 

7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ending up skimming through Eblen vs Tokov because it looked like a rinse and repeat 5 rounds of one way traffic and we’ve all got lives to lead

Got the biggest cheer of the night from me when I saw Frank Trigg was the ref!

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

😢

Is Fedor the last of that Pride era? Is that it for those guys now? With Shogun recently hanging them up, now Fedor, who’s left? Maybe there’s one or two who had one fight on a Bushido card or something but, as far as the main Pride guys, I can’t think of anyone notable who’s still active.  

OVEREEM_ALISTAIR_04-20.png.f249915e58094fb1d376c740d7331b7f.png

• Paid Members

It was a sad end for Fedor, but they always are aren't they?

It was fair obvious from the opening bell this was only going one way, Bader seemed to bother with everything that landed. Shades of Holmes/Ali for Bader here though, people probably dislike him more for beating up the faded legned. 

It does make me wonder how much Fedor's heart has been in the game though? I know he's 46 now and way past his prime, but Fedor went out of the first round once in 11 years, he's just come in and rolled the dice time after time, no real evolution in his game or any kind of actual gameplan. It's felt like he's probably done the minimal amount of work in the gym, came in and just decided to empty the tank in the first few minutes with hope of landing a big shot. We haven't seen Fedor's sambo game or ground and pound in a decade. That said, he's never been in a dull fight.

Ward/Homasi predictably stole the show, absolute bedlam for how long it lasted. Bellator clearly have high hopes for Ward now, wouldn't be surprised to see him jump the line for a title shot.

Not quite sure how good Johnny Eblen is, but if he was to fight Pereira or Adesanya, i'd probably pick him. He's get killed standing despite having a decent hands and clearly tough, but he's got a crazy gas tank and can grind for 5 rounds, tough guy to beat. Was disappointed by Tokov, he had moments but literally did the same thing over and over, he had no plan b.

That Larkin KO, fucking hell.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:42 AM, Egg Shen said:

It does make me wonder how much Fedor's heart has been in the game though? I know he's 46 now and way past his prime, but Fedor went out of the first round once in 11 years, he's just come in and rolled the dice time after time, no real evolution in his game or any kind of actual gameplan. It's felt like he's probably done the minimal amount of work in the gym, came in and just decided to empty the tank in the first few minutes with hope of landing a big shot. We haven't seen Fedor's sambo game or ground and pound in a decade. That said, he's never been in a dull fight.

Totally agree with this. Cant remember the last fight where Fedor offered anything beyond the possibility of connecting with his signature wild looping punches.

Who even knows how hard he's been training for these fights? He doesnt look like much but then again he never did even in his prime. He could just be going in with his god given power and hoping for the hail mary for all we know. 

In his actual prime his ground and pound was sensational. He was one of the best at damaging guys from the guard. I always thought Fedor had one of the sweetest armbars from the bottom as well but you would have to go so far back in his career to see any examples of that. 

• Paid Members

It’s weird because his ground game was as big a part of his skillset as anything. Probably the main strength he had. When you look back at his best and biggest wins, the grappling was the thing that usually decided it. Whether it was him doing the unthinkable at the time and staying in Nogueira’s guard and ground and pounding the bollocks out of him in their first fight or controlling and beating up Cro Cop on the ground after a competitive spell of striking on the feet. Then there’s the nights where his submissions were his get out of jail card against Fujita and Randleman, demolishing and choking Sylvia in seconds, even the hilarious meme armbar finish on Hong Man Choi. From about the Arlovski knockout onwards though, it’s seemed like it’s purely been brainless shootouts. He probably hasn’t had a proper training camp in well over a decade.

While I’m here, another angle of the Larkin KO. Some knockouts I never get tired of watching. This is one of them;

7BCDACA0-AE2C-418B-99D8-69CB299398E9.gif

Edited by wandshogun09