5 minutes ago, Loki said:

AEW have been good at enticing away midcarders and doing something more with them but who was the last main event (or near) level WWE star they got?  

Danielson would be the obvious one. They also wanted to keep Adam Cole, although at the time, if you were Cole, AEW would have been the obvious place to go to actually receive a push. 

I'm not even sure AEW needs to poach WWE talent, just develop talent scouting networks, and identify (and push) exciting, emerging wrestlers; and make sure their push is consistent. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

I know this will fill many with dread because of the booking distraction on Dynamite. Forbidden Door 2 about four weeks after Double or Nothing. At least its a Saturday.

AEW have earned a lot of good faith for Forbidden Door 2. We all banged on about how slapdash, rushed and confusing the Dynamites leading up to the first Forbidden Door were (and we were correct), but then the actual PPV smashed it out the fucking park and was both a critical and commercial success.

So now we've got the sequel, and they've got four weeks to build it, which is a fucking perfect amount of time for a PPV. Bring it on, I can't wait.

Edited by Accident Prone

1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

AEW have earned a lot of good faith for Forbidden Door 2. We all banged on about how slapdash, rushed and confusing the Dynamites leading up to the first Forbidden Door were (and we were correct), but then the actual PPV smashed it out the fucking park and was both a critical and commercial success.

So now we've got the sequel, and they've got four weeks to build it, which is a fucking perfect amount of time for a PPV. Bring it on, I can't wait.

Isn't that a general pattern though? Not just with Forbidden Door. Plenty of their PPVs have had underwhelming builds and middling Dynamites and even dodgy looking lineups on paper. But most of the time they're strong efforts once they happen.

The frustrating part is them not being able to sustain a decent weekly product.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What happened with Hikaru Shida? Did I miss them writing her out of the Women’s Title storyline or did she just disappear?

The other week she was on her Youtube show she had a minor finger injury. She had still be making shows but wasn't on camera. Of course a finger injury wouldn't have prevented her from being involved in promos, as that's what she had been doing up until that point.

So I dunno, maybe they've just chosen to streamline for now since they've had Ruby between the two pairings.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Isn't that a general pattern though? Not just with Forbidden Door. Plenty of their PPVs have had underwhelming builds and middling Dynamites and even dodgy looking lineups on paper. But most of the time they're strong efforts once they happen.

The frustrating part is them not being able to sustain a decent weekly product.

It’s very rarely less than “decent”, we had weeks earlier in the year it widely get called some of the most consistent tv they had done, one bad week and the over reactions are starting strong 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Agreed, 4 week of focus on this, and then only leaves 8 weeks till next ppv to fill then trying to make stories last 3 months 

If they’re going to do Forbidden Door, I hope they keep the build-up off TV. It’s almost impossible to build up any kind of personal feud when one half of the equation belongs to another company that is not involved with your TV product for the vast majority of the year. I hope they announce a bunch of matches that satisfy those who care, and just leave it at that.

On a more positive note, Adam Cole is coming across really well as a baby face. He seems likeable, relatable and like someone I could actually get behind as a character. I wasn’t the biggest Cole fan to put it mildly, but he’s winning me over.

EDIT: @Louch- ‘Widely’? How to you quantify that? By who? How can it be ‘the most consistent TV they’ve done’ if that run only lasted ‘weeks’? That’s surely an utterly damning thing to say, if that’s as consistent as they’ve been?

Edited by RedRooster

6 minutes ago, Louch said:

It’s very rarely less than “decent”, we had weeks earlier in the year it widely get called some of the most consistent tv they had done, one bad week and the over reactions are starting strong 

Last year was a whole lot of less than decent, those few good weeks at the start of this year were rare at the time and it's fallen back down since.

7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If they’re going to do Forbidden Door, I hope they keep the build-up off TV. It’s almost impossible to build up any kind of personal feud when one half of the equation belongs to another company that is not involved with your TV product for the vast majority of the year. I hope they announce a bunch of matches that satisfy those who care, and just leave it at that.

They aren't leaving it of TV. Can see Omega in an IWGP US title defense as one of the big selling points. Doubt they'd do Ospreay so early since Omega has yet to defend the title.

Decent chance of Mercedes Mone turning up with the IWGP Women's title.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Last year was a whole lot of less than decent, those few good weeks at the start of this year were rare at the time and it's fallen back down since.

What’s less than decent? Decent I’d call a show I seen as more than 5/10 and nothing on it offends me in how bad it is. Most shows have a 4* match minimum and while it’s not all 2hr thrill rides, I don’t remember any weeks I’ve felt angry I’ve wasted time watching a show or that they have really insulted my intelligence by pulling off something shitty. If it was as bad as many cling to it being they’d be using their time watching something else as AEW doesn’t have the brand loyalty WWE has as we all grew up watching it.