Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, ElBigFella said:

but doesn't seem to have a clue how to adapt to a system that works for the players he has.

He did that at Brighton to be fair. Chris Hughton was flirting with relegation playing a very route-one style and Potter came in and completely changed the system. 

I think what hasn't helped him is inheriting an unbalanced squad. For many reasons (the uncertainty surrounding the sale, those running the club day-to-day leaving and Boehly seemingly doing everything himself) their approach to building the squad was a bit slap dash in the summer. I don't think Tuchel was happy with the business they did. Potter will need to build his own squad, and will need time to do that and a sporting director to support him in the market. No idea yet if Boehly is going to do that or whether he will be another Ambramovich with little patience. 

• Paid Members
On 12/29/2022 at 12:43 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

I really want Everton to just go away, they're the new Aston Villa. But I also don't want @Scott Malbranque to be sad. Fucking football.

This is the year yiz all get yizzer wishes, D-Mal.
I genuinely believe we're on the plop this year, and once the finances get investigated, we'll most likely fold and wind up ISS Pro Ev'd with the official name Merseyside Blue.

33 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

This is the year yiz all get yizzer wishes, D-Mal.
I genuinely believe we're on the plop this year, and once the finances get investigated, we'll most likely fold and wind up ISS Pro Ev'd with the official name Merseyside Blue.

Still, nice looking new ground eh? 

First time seeing Newcastle live and they're like Stoke on steroids. A fairly unpleasant side to play against but they defended well yesterday. Feel had Arsenal scored in that blistering 7 minute start the game would have been different. Must say Kieran Trippier is still a lovely defender.

Arsenal need to get two attacking players in and with ESR back that bench looks a helluva lot different. Looks like they're going after them so no complaints.

Everton need to get relegated to reset I think.

That reset thing is a load of nonsense isn’t it? Would any team not be better off ‘resetting’ under the riches of the premier league. It’s not like moving to the championship makes it easier to ship shit players. I get why people say it because moving down and coming back up after winning the majority of your games for a year is a great morale boost but in Everton’s case I’d see them going the way of Leeds/Sunderland/Coventry/Sheff Wed. The top of the championship and bottom of the premier league is more or less the same quality wise anyway.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Such an Arsenal reaction to last night. Rory Delap lives rent free in your heads

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than Stoke rotting in the divisions below.

But Newcastle were VERY negative. I was quite surprised by it. They used every trick in the book as well. Was a bit like an old Jose team, Fair play to them

57 minutes ago, Factotum said:

But Newcastle were VERY negative. I was quite surprised by it. They used every trick in the book as well. Was a bit like an old Jose team, Fair play to them

We weren't quite as attacking as usual, but we were away to the top side in the league. It's not like we parked the bus and never went forward, we had a couple of decent chances.

Two cup games up next, hopefully it's a chance to rotate the squad a bit and get ASM and Isak back up to speed. Feels even more mad that we're third and our record signing has only played 3-4 games all season.

• Paid Members

Newcastle more reminiscent of Burnley I would say based on last night, which as King Mal says may well be down to the fixture, but looking at the players the squad is definitely built with a similar style in mind. It's working wonders for them and it shows how good Howe given the style is such a contrast to his old Bournemouth side.

3 hours ago, Factotum said:

Arsenal need to get two attacking players in

I see that all of a sudden Chelsea (not content with spending £400m on a shit tonne of players) are taking an interest in our number 1 target- Mudryk. Shakhtar were holding out for a really silly sum, but with silly FC entering the race they know they can get that sort of fee from them. So that's that then, unless we decide to head-to-head with silly bollocks Boehly and pay well over the odds. The Pepe deal is still a bit fresh in our minds.

35 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

see that all of a sudden Chelsea (not content with spending £400m on a shit tonne of players) are taking an interest in our number 1 target- Mudryk.

Chelsea's transfer strategy is so all over the place it's quite something. They clearly need other areas strengthened and an actual strategy but Boehly seems to just look on twitter and go after anyone Fabrizio Romano has linked another club to. I still think Mudryk wants the Arsenal move and can see a Raphinia situation where he just says he wont go there and the two clubs will work it out. But I'm sure we have other targets and expect us to move for them rather than get bogged down in a deal

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Probably more relevant in here but David Gold has passed away.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/04/david-gold-joint-chairman-west-ham-dies-at-86

Whenever I see/hear his name or David Sullivans, I remember Sporting Lisbons president calling them the dildo brothers.  I don’t think there’s any better tribute than a reminder of that. 

• Paid Members

Couple of things about Mudryk:-

1) His name makes him sound like he should be a Pokemon.

2) He's had a third of a really good season. That's it. Before that he hadn't done anything of any note. The money being bandied around him is mental.