AEW - what needs to change?

RedRooster

Surely most of the AEW wrestlers are there because they think they have more creative options than elsewhere?

If all you've got to bring to the show is "yeah I can wrestle a fair bit", then honestly you should be down in the jobber pack rather than taken up TV where you should be finding ways to get people to part money to come see you wrestle without giving away you wrestling for free on TV every week. That's why MJF was such an asset. Counting Dynamite and Rampage as two and a half hours of TV, Tony must have known he could guarantee a quality 15 minutes a week (10%), that would pop a rating and sell more tickets for future shows, without the guy acing up his boots and chipping away at his bump card. Now the roster's full of workrate wankers who "love wrestling", and who are filling the show with the WWE tropes that couldn't stop them getting the boot from the other company. If you've got a week to think of how to make the most of some backstage camera time, and all you have is "stand me there with Schiavone and a mic", well, I'm sorry, but you're not that interesting. If you get that several times in one show, it looks like a training reel that belongs in Matt Bloom's recycle bin. At least Jericho was savvy enough to dub his promo segments with OTT names like "War Council" and "Town Hall Meeting" to give them a bit of flavour.

Vince has injected a shot of poison into the heart of AEW.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

At least Jericho was savvy enough to dub his promo segments with OTT names like "War Council" and "Town Hall Meeting" to give them a bit of flavour.

It's been one of my favourite AEW running gags that each one has had a different title and reason for existing. Superb stuff.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think more creative is something they need to look at. Not going down the WWE route of having huge teams of Hollywood script writers who don't know wrestling, but a small team of people they do. Hell, they have plenty of wrestlers who do backstage jobs as well, why not get a few of the veterans of the roster to work on booking as well? 

Just no Russo or Cornette please.

• Paid Members

They just need someone that will say no to people. I'm sure the ideas swing more in favour of good to bad, but there needs to be some sort of filter system rather than throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. 

They have people like Regal on the books who would be a good hand at stuff like that, the problem is that Tony seems to be the main man doing it all and is either threading himself way too thin or doesn't want to be the bad guy and shoot down people's ideas because that's what Vince does. I presume it's probably both.

As I mentioned, Omega seems to be quite hands on, not sure about The Bucks and Cody did his own thing. I never saw much in Omega before AEW, however there is no denying he is probably the biggest star they have and it seems like he could be winding his career down slightly if he's as fucked as reports would have you believe. Which is a shame as AEW will be the first mainstream exposure most wrestling fans will have had to him, it certainly is for me.

• Paid Members

They need more titles and/or debuts where the lights go off and back on again!

Seriously though, I suspect Tony Khan is just over-worked. Vince McMahon is famous for being a workaholic but even he isn't booking every show and negotiating every deal. He's not running multiple companies either. In fact, WWE's traditionally gone on a downturn when Vince HAS turned his attention elsewhere hasn't it?

At the moment, everything in AEW feels reactive. Whether it's because of new talent, the purchase of ROH or the deal with NJPW, it feels like *AEW* has been put on the backburner to promote new stuff and new people. I appreciate the business reasons for it but that doesn't help my enjoyment of shows or get me excited about watching. Since AEW started, this is the first point where I really haven't been particularly arsed about watching and/or avoiding spoilers. Because they aren't giving me a lot of reasons to.

Hopefully things will improve when Forbidden Door is done and (big if) ROH is up and running as it's own company again. Of course that could well make it worse.