Backlash 2000

SaitoRyo

Can we just have a thread where we talk about how fucking class Backlash 2000 is? 

Had its 22 year anniversary on April 30 so I went back and watched a chunk of it the other night and it brought back all those fuzzy warm memories of watching it on Channel 4 back in the day. Glad they don't pixelate blood or cut away from table bumps on the Network, mind.

It's such a great, well-paced show with everything on the card having a purpose. Such a strong roster at this time. 

The opening tag title match is a tidy curtain-raiser. Malenko and Scotty have the best Light Heavyweight Title match in that belt's history with an all-timer of a finish. Bossman and Buchanan against the APA is the only really 'meh' match on the show, and even that's not terrible or anything.

Hardcore six-way is demented fun and a good showcase for the midcard crew. Show's Hogan parody and squash of Angle is still funny. T&A against the Dudleys is alright, but the post-match is a great payoff. 

The whole Eddie/Chyna prom thing is a hoot and Eddie's match with Essa Rios has some great stuff in it. Benoit and Jericho having a belter of an IC Title match was always welcome, even though I don't really want to watch murderer's matches back these days. 

And the Rock/HHH main event is just sensational sports entertainment. Great work from everyone involved with a lot of gaga that has the crowd going mental. The Austin return is phenomenal, too, belting everyone in the head with a chair and then walking out in seemingly one motion. 

Easily one of the best WWE pay-per-views ever and a prime showcase for why the company was so on fire at the time.

Talk to me about Backlash 2000, folks. 

spacer.png

Funnily enough I randomly watched this back myself a couple of nights back. It was so much better back then. 

Some of my findings:

-Tag opener was good, was pretty much heel vs heel which is unique

- Debra did not seem in a good way (drunk?)

- Malenko - Scotty is a great match - miss them spotlighting wrestlers like this on ppv

- Did anything come of Y2J attacking the referees after the match?

- Enjoyed Big Shows gimmick (his music was rubbish though) 

- Loved the chaos of the main event. Double Rock Bottom through table was great.

Debra and her god awful attempt at ring announcing is the only bad thing on the show. She's actually worse than Stacy Keibler announcing the ill advised WCW main event on Raw, & that takes some doing!

I know she was Austin's missus, but just have her walk some babyfaces to the ring or something. 

• Paid Members

Backlash should've been the WrestleMania 2000 card. The main event especially should've taken the place of the lacklustre 4-way; Rock winning the big one in a singles match with Trips, with a bonus Steve Austin return, AND it would've made the 'Mania 17 main event even sweeter with that added layer.

You could take Backlash 2000, and make some slight edits to add in some 'Mania 2000 matches for the authentic effect, and end up with a show to make everyone happy;

WWF World Tag Team Title Three Way Ladder Match
The Dudley Boyz vs. Christian & Edge vs. The Hardy Boyz
WWF Light Heavyweight Title Match
Dean Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty
Bull Buchanan & The Big Bossman vs. The Acolytes
WWF Hardcore Title Six Pack Challenge
Crash Holly vs. Hardcore Holly vs. Perry Saturn vs. Tazz vs. Taka Michinoku vs. Funaki
Kurt Angle vs. The Showster (The Big Show)
WWF European Title Match
Eddie Guerrero (w/Chyna) vs. Essa Rios (w/Lita)
Cat Fight (Special Referee: Val Venis)Terri (w/The Fabulous Moolah) vs. The Kat (w/Mae Young)
WWF Intercontinental Title Match
Chris Benoit (c) vs. Chris Jericho
Kane & Rikishi (w/Paul Bearer) vs. D-Generation X (The Road Dogg & X-Pac) (w/Tori)
WWF World Heavyweight Title Match (Special Referees: Shane McMahon)
Triple H (w/Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley & Vince McMahon) (c) vs. The Rock

Foley makes an appearance in the main event to help even out the odds for The Rock. He can do his flying nothing elbow and then get twatted out of commission by Trips.

As for the missing tag teams (T&A, Head Cheese, Godfather & D'Lo, Headbangers, MSP) and Viscera, you can have a battle royal or tag gauntlet to get them on the show.

That's my best EWR booking in quite a while.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

-Tag opener was good, was pretty much heel vs heel which is unique

E&C weren’t heels yet. They may have cheated to win here but they’d still been booked as babyfaces the month since Mania, wrestling DX, each side costing the other matches when DX were wrestling other faces or E&C wrestling other heels. It’s only really the night after on Raw where they wrestle two popular guys, Show & Rikishi, and use the ring bell again, that the stamp starts getting applied for “they’re going to be bad guys now.”

It wouldn’t have been “unique” anyway. It wasn’t even the first heel vs heel match on WWF TV that week.

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

E&C weren’t heels yet. They may have cheated to win here but they’d still been booked as babyfaces the month since Mania, wrestling DX, each side costing the other matches when DX were wrestling other faces or E&C wrestling other heels. It’s only really the night after on Raw where they wrestle two popular guys, Show & Rikishi, and use the ring bell again, that the stamp starts getting applied for “they’re going to be bad guys now.”

It wouldn’t have been “unique” anyway. It wasn’t even the first heel vs heel match on WWF TV that week.

I meant unique to have heel vs heel on ppv

This might well have been the first PPV I ever watched, if it was on C4.  I'd discovered Heat late night on the weekend, coming back from gigs, and it was the first bit of wrestling I'd seen since Big Daddy.

My main memory is that it was really violent, and the crowd were hot for EVERYONE on the roster.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I meant unique to have heel vs heel on ppv

It had been a whole two shows since Outlaws vs Dudleys.

• Paid Members

My main memory of this show is looking forward to it all day, watching a bit of Babylon 5 waiting for it, falling asleep and waking up during the Hardy's match. 

Had to borrow it from someone who taped it to see the whole lot.