MMA Awards 2021 – Nominations

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Please post your nominations for this year’s MMA awards and where relevant, any links that can be used for the voting threads. It’s the usual awards plus a new one, which may or may not offer up a few options. No more than five nominations per award: 

MMA Fight of the Year

Best MMA Fighter

MMA Rising Star

MMA Event of the Year

Best Knockout

- NOMINATION THREAD WILL CLOSE ON 3RD JANUARY -

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

MMA FIGHT OF THE YEAR:

1) Justin Gaethje vs Michael Chandler (UFC 268 - Nov 6th)

2) Max Holloway vs Yair Rodriguez (UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs Rodriguez - Nov 13th) 

3) Alexander Volkanovski vs Brian Ortega (UFC 266 - Sep 25th)

4) Petr Yan vs Cory Sandhagen (UFC 267 - Oct 30th)

5) Jeff Molina vs Aori Qileng (UFC 261 - Apr 24th) 

BEST MMA FIGHTER:

1) Charles Oliveira 

2) Kamaru Usman 

3) Max Holloway 

4) Ciryl Gane 

5) Islam Makhachev 

MMA RISING STAR:

1) Rafael Fiziev

2) Giga Chikadze 

3) Tom Aspinall 

4) Marina Rodriguez 

5) Mateusz Gamrot 

MMA EVENT OF THE YEAR:

1) UFC 268: Usman vs Covington 2 (Nov 6th)

2) UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 (Jan 23rd) 

3) UFC 261: Usman vs Masvidal 2 (Apr 24th) 

4) UFC 267: Blachowicz vs Teixeira (Oct 30th) 

5) UFC Fight Night: Sandhagen vs Dillashaw (Jul 24th) 

BEST KNOCKOUT: 

1) Cody Sandhagen (vs Frankie Edgar - UFC Fight Night - Feb 6th)

6A37B659-20CF-4E84-A1BB-712C336863EA.gif

2) Jiri Prochazka (vs Dominick Reyes - UFC Fight Night - May 1st)

5D0220FB-D0F8-49AC-B532-7A64EBFBB572.gif

3) Ignacio Bahamondes (vs Roosevelt Roberts - UFC Fight Night - Aug 21st)

image.gif

4) Kamaru Usman (vs Jorge Masvidal - UFC 261 - Apr 24th)

29EB1CEB-8A3F-4EE7-8A3E-33953C87C3F0.gif

5) Dustin Poirier (vs Conor McGregor - UFC 257 - Jan 23rd)

80B3D40A-9401-40B3-9ADB-2F09BCD56AAC.gif

Wanted to include Pettis vs Horiguchi but couldn’t leave the Poirier vs McGregor one off. 

• Paid Members

MMA Fight of the Year

Justin Gaethje Vs Michael Chandler

Max Holloway Vs Yair Rodriguez

Michael Chandler Vs Charles Oliveira

Volkanovski Vs Ortega

Sandhagen Vs Dillashaw

Best MMA Fighter

Kamaru Usman

Charles Oliveira

Jose Aldo

Islam Makhachev

Max Holloway

MMA Rising Star

Islam Makhachev

Rafael Fiziev

Brad Riddell

Kai Kara France

Tom Aspinall

MMA Event of the Year

UFC 269

UFC 268

UFC 267

Best Knockout

Edson Barboza over Shane Burgos

Poirier over McGregor at UFC 257

Yiri Prochazka over Dominick Reyes

Kai Kara France over Cody Garbrandt

Tai Tuivasa over Greg Hardy. 

You might notice three of those were based on as much my enjoyment of the result as the KO itself. 

Honourable mention for shits and giggles goes to Mariuz Pudzianowski over Bombardier. 

MMA Fight of the Year

Michael Chandler vs Justin Gaetje

Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar - I think this is one of the best one sided fights ever.

Best MMA Fighter

Kamura Usman

Charles Oliveria

MMA Rising Star

Giga 

Tom Aspinal

Tuivasa (I am not sure he counts but he gets my nomination from almost being released to having 3 great knock outs in 2021).

Chris Curtis 

Ilia Topiria - only fight one year but I see him climbing the rankings

MMA Event of the Year

UFC 263 - Adesanya vs Marvin Vettori - The main event was a bit of a stinker but it had Moreno winning the flyweight title and that Nate Diaz pop of him walking to the octagon and almost knocking out Leon Edwards

UFC 266 - Amazing main event between Volk and Ortega but the build up and anticipation of seeing Nick Diaz return makes this a great show. I know the actual fight it self was depressing and a let down but the way I felt leading up to the fight makes me think fondly of this show.

UFC 267 - Jan vs Glover and Yan vs Sandman and a Khamzat masterpiece. I always watch UFC shows recorded and on Sunday morning so the fact I could watch this show live at 7pm on a Saturday really cemented this show in my mind. The amazing fights helped but the enjoyment level of being able to watch it in real time was something else.

UFC 261 - As a self confessed Jorge Masvidal fan boy I hated the result of the main event but this being the first show back with live fans was absolutely special. I was smiling from ear to ear for the first few hours of the show.

Best Knockout

Chris Barnett vs Gian Vilante

Sandhagen vs Edgar (how was this 2021? Seems ages ago)

Ignacio vs Roberts

Jiri vs Reyes

I like how these awards are no longer a personality contest/slanging match with dolt of the year etc but I am going to contradict myself by saying that Wand would get my vote for forum poster of the year for his amazing write ups before and after the shows. I don't visit a single other MMA news site because I get everything I need from him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Best MMA Fighter

Kamaru Usman

Charles Oliveira

MMA Rising Star

Giga Chikadze

Tom Aspinall

Islam Makhachev

This is going to seem odd, but I'd say Ciryl Gane - his rise has been pretty fast.

Best Knockout

Ignacio Bahamondes/Roosevelt Roberts

Jiri Prochazka/Dominick Reyes

Dustin Poirier/Conor McGregor

Best Fight of the Year - Gaethje vs Chandler

Best Fighter - Kamaru Usman

Rising Star - AJ McKee - Pushing my luck here with the rising bit as he is a champ but at just 26  and a great fighter already, I think he is about to enter his prime. Love to see him in the UFC.

Best Event - UFC 269

Best Knockout - Kamaru Usman over Jorge Masvidal 

Jorge before “He hits… Not hard at all. He’s one of the softest hitters I’ve ever been in front of. God damn blessing with that man, is you know he couldn’t hurt another man with his fists, and it must suck to live that life.”

29EB1CEB-8A3F-4EE7-8A3E-33953C87C3F0.gif

Pretty much everything has already been covered by everyone else, so I wont bother duplicating. Lets be honest, theres not even a need to do the fight of the year, and it probably makes sense to make the fighter of the year a two horse race.

Ill just throw one name in the MMA Rising Star catagory, which is Khamzat Chimaev. For someone with the insane hype that he has, he somehow built on that with his only fight in 2021, which is pretty special.

I thought the Usman KO would be the clear winner, but then WeeAl had the belting shout of the Tuivasa/Hardy KO, which I think may be the most satisfying KO of the year (shame on Wand for nominating lovely Frankie getting knocked into another dimension, and not the prick that is Hardy 😛)