General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

So I’m right, you meant lately instead of usually. Also, I’ve never seen a Fast film. Do I need to start at the beginning or just start when The Rock turns up?

Watch them all. The first one is the only one that isn't very interesting but the rest all have stuff that in them that gets the franchise story together. Like Saw but you can understand it and it's enjoyable.

But clear your calendar for 5 to 7 especially, they're all brilliant.

I wasn't interested in them until top music journo Mr. Seven bullied me into watching them, so I'm paying it forward to you now.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 10:04 PM, unfitfinlay said:

Surely there's no way they are going to fight a lawsuit that risks both alienating the audience and other big name actors? 

In my opinion Disney don't need big name actors, they use them because they have near unlimited money, can afford to, so why not. 

If its a good movie and has the Disney PR machine behind it there's a plethora of lesser known or unknown actors they can fill the roles with.

Probably not many talented, aspiring young actresses waiting tables in LA whilst they struggle to meet ends meet who would consider turning down a role in a Disney movie because multi millionaire Scarlet Johansson only made $20m (initially) from a film she's already made tens of millions from playing that character in previous films.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
Just now, Jonny Vegas said:

In my opinion Disney don't need big name actors, they use them because they have near unlimited money, can afford to, so why not. 

If its a good movie and has the Disney PR machine behind it there's a plethora of lesser known or unknown actors they can fill the roles with.

False. Look at films with big budgets and not marquee actors in the lead (Tron Legacy, Oz the Great and Powerful, Winkle in Time) and they all didn’t meet expectations or flopped. Most Disney films outside of Star Wars and Marvel aren’t huge at the box office.

Is that not because they're shitty/B list Disney movies rather than had unknown stars?

Oz had James Franco & Mila Kunis in lead roles.

Live action Aladdin did over a billion dollars, Jasmine and Aladdin roles were people I'd never heard of.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Is that not because they're shitty/B list Disney movies rather than had unknown stars?

Oz had James Franco & Mila Kunis in lead roles.

Live action Aladdin did over a billion dollars, Jasmine and Aladdin roles were people I'd never heard of.

You can fuck off refering to Tron Legacy like that. Wash your mouth out with that opinion! Winkle in Time and had Oprah in it, and was based on a famous book. Oz was a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. Franco, Weisz and Kunis aren’t A list.

Live Action remakes don’t count because they are remakes of still popular animated films. Your going for the nostalgia and songs, not for the stars. My point still stands.

Thanks mate thats me been told to fuck off twice on this forum today...least you didn't wish death upon me. ?

I'd say Franco, Weisz and Kunis aren't well below A-list if they're not A-list? 

I feel my point plays off of yours though, Disney can put anyone into live action remakes and as you say people will come for the name, the songs, the nostalgia. 

For me, in order to prove your original point that you think they do need the A listers in lead roles to be mega hits I'd want to see numerous examples of terrible films, that weren't live action nostalgia remakes, weren't Star Wars/Marvel (because theyre all categories you've marked as exceptions to the rules) with A list leads that were box office smashes if you could please?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Thanks mate thats me been told to fuck off twice on this forum today...least you didn't wish death upon me. ?

I'd say Franco, Weisz and Kunis aren't well below A-list if they're not A-list? 

I feel my point plays off of yours though, Disney can put anyone into live action remakes and as you say people will come for the name, the songs, the nostalgia. 

For me, in order to prove your original point that you think they do need the A listers in lead roles to be mega hits I'd want to see numerous examples of terrible films, that weren't live action nostalgia remakes, weren't Star Wars/Marvel (because theyre all categories you've marked as exceptions to the rules) with A list leads that were box office smashes if you could please?

Only your opinion of Tron can fuck off, not you ?. 

So, just to clarify you want Box Office hits of shit films with A list actors in lead roles?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I Am Legend, Hancock, Avatar (if you allow James Cameron as being the A list draw), Ad Astra, most of The Rock's output outside of Jumanji and Fast and Furious, Oceans 12/13, Due Date, Baywatch, Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. 

Disney only? Pirates 2-4 (i liked 5), Pearl Harbour, Bedtime Stories, The Sorcerers Apprentice. There are worst films, but at the time of their making, the leads were A-List tier. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Live Action remakes don’t count because they are remakes of still popular animated films. Your going for the nostalgia and songs, not for the stars. My point still stands.

It's baffling that you don't see the circular logic in your argument. First you say that Disney need a listers to make money, and then you go on to list several other tools they have in their arsenal that mean they don't have to rely on a listers (nostalgia, star wars and Marvel IP) and then decide that those things are not pertinent or somehow prove your point?? If you specifically have to exclude everything that doesn't fit your premise how can you expect your argument to hold any weight whatsoever?

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

It's baffling that you don't see the circular logic in your argument. First you say that Disney need a listers to make money, and then you go on to list several other tools they have in their arsenal that mean they don't have to rely on a listers (nostalgia, star wars and Marvel IP) and then decide that those things are not pertinent or somehow prove your point?? If you specifically have to exclude everything that doesn't fit your premise how can you expect your argument to hold any weight whatsoever?

A point I have not made very well is that without Marvel, Star Wars or remakes, non animated Disney films are often box office duds. For example Tron Legacy was going to be the Avatar. They hope it would make a billion dollars because it looked great. It made just over $400m and basically made them finally try and succeed to buy Lucasfilm because they realised they couldn't make their own Star Wars like franchise. I guess what I am trying to say is when they make films without A-listers, they don't do well financially. So they need to throw more money to get tentpole names. They have made people like Pratt and Hemsworth household names. They have revitalised people like Downey Jr. They have helped create or make A-listers, but making films without them isn't working. Marvel and Star Wars get away with it because you are going because you like the franchise, not who is in it. Same with live action remakes. 

In my head, I know the point I am trying to make, even if I am doing a shit job of presenting it elequently.   

I still stand entirely by my point that Disney don't NEED A-listers, they use them at times because they can. 

As you've said yourself as well Hannibal they create or elevant people to or back to A-list status, Hemsworth, Pratt, Downey Jr in films.

Movies/TV shows aimed towards kids they made Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, Zac Efron, Jonas Brothers, Selena Gomez and others into megastars.

In the unlikely event many if any actors are put off making a movie for Disney because of this then that difference of whos in the role specifically wont effect Disney or their movies success one bit.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members

Some more back and forth over the weekend (Now featuring Andrea from Beverley Hills 90210). Disney's Daniel Petrocelli Slams 'Black Widow' Suit as 'PR Campaign' - Variety

Disney claming she was going to get some of the Premier Access pay to make up the box office bonuses she would miss out on. I don't care, all I want is this to be a way for her to get paid more for the Tower of Terror movie she was to produce and feature in and this was all a glorified pay dispute.