• Paid Members

Yeh, we were all shocked at how poor she was. Something dodgy in the selection process. There are UK B-girls who would have smoked her. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If a new sport to the Olympics wants to be taken seriously it has to be better than that. There are already enough old bastards saying that it's "Not a real sport" without that making it look like it isn't. 

Thing is the general standard is quite high - Logistx and Nicka are superb, as are Ami and Ayumi. The two Ukrainians and the Chinese are also impressive. The French ones were decent, but I think the hometown support carried them a fair bit. 

That's the worrying thing, I went in and gave it a proper chance but... It was a tough watch. Talking about how good people are when that was the overall "advert" for breaking just gives the "not a real sport" crowd more ammo. It's a generally quiet day due to being practically the end so I'll give the lads a fair crack later on but it's a shame (and I have no doubt nerves are going to be a huge factor!) that day one was a bit of a disappointment. 

• Paid Members

This is going to sound awful, and I don't want it to, but the men's event will most likely be a better advert for the sporting side of it, as the simple reason is there will be a lot more power involved, and therefore a lot more spectacular stuff like air flares.

There are B-girls who do a fair few power moves, but for the most part because there's generally less physical strength involved, the focus tends to be more on artistic performances, musicality, creativity, etc., which are always impressive, but from a sporting point of view leaves the discipline more open to "not a real sport" drivel. 

The women were doing some seriously amazing stuff which should have been viewed with a sense of wonder (Logistx and Nicka pulled out some particular acro-balance spots that had my jaw on the floor). I think the context of the audience being there to view a sporting spectacle, thinking they're witnessing gymnastics, not to mention the inherent hostility towards a new discipline from the get-go, will have screwed them. I know this will get some eyes rolling, but there's probably an element of entrenched classism and racism in there too.

Yes, the creative/artistic/interpretive side of it does raise questions, but come on: if you have enough mastery over your own body that you're able to make it move like that and come up with something detailed and nuanced at the same time, there should be some form of acknowledgement and recognition of that.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

I know we're 7th in the table,.but in terms of medals won we'd be 3rd. I'm more than happy with that. Great showing all round 

I hear Great Britain are going to be renamed Bronze for Great Britain for Los Angeles, to save time.

On 8/11/2024 at 7:20 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The most remarkable achievement of the games has to be Sifan Hassan. Bronze in the 5000m, bronze in the 10000m and gold in the Marathon. That is actually insane. 

Made even better by Tsegày trying the 1500, 5K and 10k treble and getting nowt after being a shithouse in the 5k.