TUF 29: Volka-novski vs. Ortega

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm still unsure what the point of bringing this back with the contender series being a thing now but I guess we will have to see if it's worth it and works out  

Dana said on Mike Swick's podcast that its about having shows that cater for everyone. The Contenders is more straight fights, TUF is a reality show, then Lookin' For A Fight its own thing entirely. They are planning on doing one TUF season every year from now on.

• Paid Members

One a year isn’t so bad. It’s when it was 2 a year plus international ones it was getting too much. Not that I watched them all but it would still hold up certain fights.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The Contenders is more straight fights, TUF is a reality show

The reality show aspect is what made TUF so good in the glory years between seasons 1 and 10. In the last few years of TUF though, even that got shit and boring. But I don’t know if that’s down to bad casting, the format getting stale or me getting older and not finding the immature bollocks as entertaining anymore. Probably a bit of everything.

Still haven’t watched episode one yet. Don’t know if I can even be arsed, which doesn’t bode well. TUF’s absence hasn’t exactly made me pine for it. And Volk and Ortega don’t seem ideal as coaches for a show like this to me. I like Volk but he’s always come across a bit dry and Ortega seems to have all the personality of a breeze block whenever I’ve seen him interviewed.

I’ll probably do my usual thing of watching 2 or 3 episodes, losing interest then letting them just build up in the Sky planner. Then my Mrs moans that she can’t record the soaps because of my “UFC shit” and I tell her to just delete them. Used to happen every season of TUF. 

Definitely watching this season for Volko, but Ep 1 was pretty dull in all honesty. One of the only interesting bits was how the guys who ended up Team Ortega wanted him to be the coach, while Volko's guys seemed fairly ambivalent about it all. Seems like a continuation of the general narrative I see across my MMA pockets of social media where Alex doesn't get the respect he deserves. Mostly because of that razor-close 2nd Max fight, but even after the first one, people were shitting on Volkanovski. I get that people love Holloway- honestly I'm a big fan too- but Volko put on a masterclass in his title win.

The other thing was how the picks for fighter/fights went about. I'm not a TUF diehard, but from the seasons I recall, it always seemed a better choice to pick the first fight rather than the first fighter. Sure, you run the risk of not getting your #1 draft pick, but you can stack the odds in your favour in the early going by putting #2 against the other team's #8 and so on. Seems to be how it played out to start the tournament here too. Volko's guy looked absolutely lost when it hit the ground.

• Paid Members

I was thinking that myself Shane. I think they should alter up the fight selection process. When a team gets control they can usually plot their way through it. Also, it leads to more one sided, boring fights. Because the aim of the tournament is just to win it, so the coaches will pick a fighter against someone who doesnt match up in a certain area, and that will usually be wrestling, where a guy can control his way to a safe victory. Thats what happened in episode 1.

10 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

One a year isn’t so bad. It’s when it was 2 a year plus international ones it was getting too much. Not that I watched them all but it would still hold up certain fights.

The reality show aspect is what made TUF so good in the glory years between seasons 1 and 10. In the last few years of TUF though, even that got shit and boring. But I don’t know if that’s down to bad casting, the format getting stale or me getting older and not finding the immature bollocks as entertaining anymore. Probably a bit of everything.

The casting is 100% an issue. They should just bin off the idea of having a cast of solid, decent prospects and always sprinkle in a few guys who bring something to the table that lends to the reality TV aspect. Get a few loose screws and strange personalities in there.

The thing, back after around 10 seasons, the big knock on TUF was that there was too much focus on the antics and people wanted it to be more serious and about the fights. In this day and age though where there are so many fights, they need to flip it back in my opinion. Ive never once tuned into TUF because i know im gonna get a live fight at the end of the show, ive always been more interested in what leads to the fight.

I dunno what it is because I'm really not into this new format on the ultimate fighter, With the random flash back to home sequences they have put in over the past few seasons instead of it being all about the gym and the house shit. 

It just feels stale and they haven't really done anything to update it have they?

13 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I dunno what it is because I'm really not into this new format on the ultimate fighter, With the random flash back to home sequences they have put in over the past few seasons instead of it being all about the gym and the house shit. 

It just feels stale and they haven't really done anything to update it have they?

They haven't done anything to update it but I am still glad it's back and will watch the season from start to finish.

Has anyone seen episode 2 yet? Was it just me or was Ortega barely featured in the episode at all? He only appeared for the fight at the end.

• Paid Members

I think they've always done that @Kfogg1991 well they have for a considerable time. When each guy is introduced proper during an episode (usually the guys fighting during that episode) they ran a 5 minute home video.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well, with the best intentions I’ve not even started watching this. And judging by the lack of talk in here it seems I’m not alone. It’s not just here either, there seem to be very little enthusiasm anywhere. Anyone keeping up with it? I’m at that point now where I’ve got them in the planner and debating whether it’s worth starting or just deleting the lot.

To be honest, I forgot the show was even on until I just saw this…

B8E4A503-2814-4531-8046-4745B6867DB5.jpeg

A few Fight Night's ago, they were promoting a TUF Post Show. How can there possibly be anyone who watches that? We have a decent amount of pretty big MMA fans on this board, and by the looks of it there are zero watching even the main TUF. I assume its content for contents sake, and a way to fulfil their TV contract with the lowest costing way to produce a show, as there cant be any way that theres people watching a TUF wrap up show.

• Paid Members

I watched episode 1 but found it a bit of a chore. Tried to watch episode 2 and but was constantly looking at my phone throughout. I can't seem to series link it on my old sky box so that's the final nail in the coffin for me. 

I'm out. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Dai said:

A few Fight Night's ago, they were promoting a TUF Post Show. How can there possibly be anyone who watches that? 

😄

Its a fair point, 3 episodes in and literally nothing has happened in the house, i dont know what they'd talk about. As  reality show this thing is a dud. Thing is, if a fight goes long it leaves like 15-20 mins for anything else. I may be remembering things wrong, but there used to feel like there was so much footage at the house back in the day.

Im gonna stick with it though. Tresean this week looked good. He put Ryder into a shell from the off and looks to be carrying some serious power. He's my pick.

The only other thing thats stuck with is that Bryan Battle sounds exactly like Forrest Griffin.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

better episode this week, both guys had heavy backstories, the fight was short and sweet and the coaches got into a little bit, enjoyed this one. Volkanovski's team is having a shit time of it.

...and if you were wondering who the older fella coaching with Team Ortega that Michael Chiesa had a pop at, or recognise the name Paul Herrera:

TightDarkAlligator-max-1mb.gif

hes the guy Gary Goodrige nearly killed back at UFC 8.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

just me left watching this then? 😄

A couple of good weeks for Team Volkanovski, the Turcios/Argueta fight this week was execellent. I'll be rooting for Turcious to win the whole thing at 135lb, just a weird, quirky but very likeable individual. I dunno if he'll ever reach ranked status in the actual UFC but he has fan favorite/bonus hunter potential written all over him.

Im enjoying it 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

just me left watching this then? 😄

🤷🏻‍♂️

I have stook with it watched episode 1 then skipped to the fights on episode 2,3 and 4. I had seen on twitter that episode 5 was a good episode so watched it all it wasn't so back to skipping to the fights. Like you I'm hoping Turcious wins it now