TUF 29: Volka-novski vs. Ortega

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

if you want in house antics, theres nothing here for you, cause there hasnt been any. The fighters backstorys have been well told though and theres already a few guys in there that i know i'll continue to follow post-show. Turcios especially.

I literally watch no episodic tv week to week, so one breezy 40 minute episode of this is easily manageable for me.

• Egg Shen changed the title to TUF 29: Volka-novski vs. Ortega

Just played catch up on the fights. Both pretty good ones, and I really enjoyed Turcois vs. Argueta. Nice to see Volko's team getting on the winning track.

My issue I keep missing it live. I'm not sure when it's meant to air in Australia, seems to be all over the place on ESPN. One week it was Wednesday, another it was Saturday, another week I checked on both days and it was neither. There's no option to watch on demand- even though there is with most other shows/channels, and I've got nothing to record with. Luckily, I remembered about a site I've used to watch wrestling, which also has UFC stuff.

If I can't find it on ESPN again, I'll go back to the site next week. Interesting story of Josh and Brady being friends and roommates and having to battle. Also the old young lion vs. old lion things. Hopefully it's a good one. 

Ah. Fight Pass must be region-based then, I went there first and the most recent one I could find was TUF 28. Might need to find a quality VPN- my anti-virus has one in-built but the sites I've tried recognise that I'm trying to use a VPN and block it. Tried to get onto Peacock so I could watch Young Rock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

another quality couple of weeks.

Turcios/Liudvik was just bananas. Turcios has been the find of the season, so likeable and charismatic, then fights like an absolute wildman, i love the bloke. Hope people realise the star potential before the finale and get some buzz going for it.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in this thread yet but I've watched every episode so far. The fights have been good so that has kept be engaged.

I know it's a bit on the boring side but am I the only one who actually enjoys seeing everyone get on with each other? Usually there's a big team x vs team y divide, but all the guys seem to get on for the most part and it's quite nice to see. Especially when they exchange stories of their home lives/background. There seems to be no big meat heads this year. Just guys who really want to make it into the UFC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

have to agree.

Usually, ive said that i believed TUF needed to be focussed more on the house drama and less about the actual fights, but this season has been all about telling the fighters backstorys, showing how well everyone got along and then the actual fights delivered on top. I know the formats dead for most people but i enjoyed hell out of it. That scene with Ortega's family and the BBQ was lovely 😄

Whats more, i'll probably be keeping an eye out for the majority of the fighters coming out of the house. 

My predictions for the final are Battle to beat Urbina (now Gore is out, which is a shame), and Hiestwnd to beat Turcios, which sucks cause Turcios was my favorite fighter in the house. Hiestand just looks a real legit prospect. So unassuming and normal though, i didnt expect much from him but the guys a beast, it almost felt like he's ended up on the wrong show at first.

Edited by Egg Shen

I've just got done watching the last episode and it's a big shame that Tresean Gore is out of the main event, him vs Battle looked like a close fight on paper. With him out, I definitely see Battle getting the win.

I am really excited about the bantamweight final, both guys have exciting styles and both have been involved in wars in the house already. I want Brady to win, he looks like he will get better with age too. 

It's crazy that Team Ortega went 4 weeks straight in wins yet not one fighter will be representing them in the finals. 

I would assume that now the show is over that Volk doesn't really have a hand in coaching any of the finalists, would I be right in saying they all go back to their respective gyms to train for the final?

• Paid Members

Yeah they go back to their usual gyms. 

Andre Petroski is on the finale show fighting Mike Gillmore. Im assuming it was originally meant to be Petroski/Urbina and they've replaced Urbina with Gillmore.

Im actually quite glad they are giving Gillmore a shot. He didnt get a fair shake on TUF and hearing that he quit his job and waited in Vegas has probably led to the UFC giving him a shot.