Doomed to Repeat

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I carry a backpack a lot less now I drive, but even when I did I would never, ever put my wallet or keys in there. Can't aggressively tap a bag to make sure everything's there. 

• Paid Members

you can rattle a bag about and listen for them, though. I have a big old bundle of keys - one for the front door to our building, two for the flat door, three for work, one for the post box - so am never a fan of having them in a jacket pocket.

My wallet only goes in the bag if I'm not carrying a jacket, though - jacket pockets are for wallet, headphones, ear-plugs if I'm going to a gig. 

I did used to, on advice of a friend, carry a spare wallet in my bag, though - before the backpack, I tended to carry a satchel or messenger bag of some kind or another. First time I went to another country on my own, a mate who used to travel a lot more than me told me when he was in a new place he always carried two wallets - one with a bit of ready cash in it, one with a bit more money and most of his cards, that he kept in an inside pocket, or a bag if he was carrying one. His logic was that if you were mugged, you could make a show of emptying out your wallet, or handing the whole thing over to them, safe in the knowledge that you still had more on you. I followed his lead in doing that for a few years.

• Paid Members

I'm currently using my one surviving rucksack because my other two bags are now goosed. My messenger bag's strap snapped, and one of the straps of the rucksack I bought on Temu snapped after about three weeks. The one I'm using now isn't in the best of states either. The pockets inside the main section have ripped so anything that goes in them ends up being integrated into the general population of everything in my bag. It's so annoying. 

• Paid Members

I've been a packpack guy for over a decade now. When I worked in retail I got myself one of these Adidas Roll Tops with my staff discount as it was pretty expensive. Take it everywhere with me and no word of a lie, in the maybe 2-3 years I've had it, had several compliments from strangers about it. Customers in line behind me watching me fill my entire shop into it, retail staff, people at bus stops. It's mad. I'd like to think not all of them were sarcastic.

Definitely one for the dull mens club tbh.

backpack.jpg