Greatest Album Of All Time

neil

• Moderators
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I’ve had that bloody Prisencolinensinainciusol stuck in my head for days. I’d never heard of it before this thread and now I’m spelling it off by heart. At least I think that’s how you spell it, let me go listen again.

It has been the last thing in my head when going to sleep and/or the first thing I thought of when waking up a few times for sure....

• Moderators

Track 9 - "Oh Cheryl" By Manuel & Los Por Favors

I let out a hearty laugh when looking at this track and realizing that poor old Andrew Sachs couldn't even go by his own name on this one. Yes, this is everyones favourite comedy racial stereotype from Fawlty Towers.

This was Sach's second single in character, the first was "Manuel's Good Food Guide", and the last was...well I'll just copy and paste this directly from wikipedia because it is absurd:

In 1981, at the urging of Elton John, "Manuel" released a cover version of Joe Dolce's worldwide hit "Shaddap You Face"

Wow.

"Oh Cheryl" is terrible though. I can't tell if it's supposed to be funny or just Manuel doing a song. Sachs croons along before increasingly passionately yelling OH CHERYL.

I can imagine Russell Brand doing a cover of this song ("Oh Georgie"), winking to himself in the mirror, while shagging Sachs' granddaughter.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, neil said:

Track 10 - "If You Believe" by Roy North

I can't find this track anywhere! Very little information on Roy North's music career. Who, if you're wondering, is Basil Brush's bezzie mate.

I'm sad if this will be forever incomplete. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, neil said:

Track 10 - "If You Believe" by Roy North

I can't find this track anywhere! Very little information on Roy North's music career. Who, if you're wondering, is Basil Brush's bezzie mate.

There's someone in the US selling a copy of this album on Discogs for $10. Obviously postage to uk is crazy prices but assuming it will be cheap for you if you are interested in parting with money for this. I'd chip in a couple quid tbh.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

There's someone in the US selling a copy of this album on Discogs for $10. Obviously postage to uk is crazy prices but assuming it will be cheap for you if you are interested in parting with money for this. I'd chip in a couple quid tbh.

Whats the listing? Postage may not be such an expense for me.

• Moderators

Track 11 - "I've Never Been To Me" by Marti Caine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LlW3hP_j3A

^^ won't embed but the best version of this

I have very vague memories of Marti Caine. Definitely a cabaret type of performer, does a song, bit of a dance, maybe a couple comedic quips in there. The song is pretty dull and I really don't understand the song title, I could understand "I've Never Been Me", but "I've Never Been To Me"?!?! What does that mean?

I did have a great laugh at this line from wikipedia:

Her husband Malcolm Stringer chose her eventual stage name from a gardening book, though Marta Cane (tomato cane) was misspelled at an early gig and 'Marti Caine' remained with her

Tomato Cane...yeah thats your name love.

• Paid Members

They love the original version of this at my Mum's pub. You could almost guarantee it'd turn up on the jukebox at least once a night, and Ylin would normally crack through it at karaoke every Friday. It's something about self care or self love or something if I remember right. 

• Moderators

Ah, what do we have today for Track 12...its...

"Copacabana" by Danny La Rue

Now I'm someone that loves Copacabana, just a great great song. Perfect for putting on to get the party going and an amazing song to knock out at karaoke too. So to say the thought of getting drag queen/entertainer Danny La Rue version of it was exciting was an understatement - especially coming from dull crap of Marti Caine. Sadly I cannot find it anywhere...I'm going to have to buy the fucking CD of this aren't I.

Copacabana was actually the b-side on the 79 single release of "The Counting Song" - which I also cannot find. But discogs tells me that Danny wanted all proceeds donated to Great Ormond Street...bless.

• Moderators

Track 13 - "The Worzel Song" by Jon Pertwee

Fuck.

FUCK.

I fucking HATE Worzel Gummidge. What a load of shite that TV show was.

Fuck right off. Brings back the same waves of depression as that intro starts up. I hate everything about this, the awful yokel accent, the entire premise of it, how corny it is, even the name Worzel...Worzel...Worzel fucking Gummidge...awful.

Now, Worzel Gummidge was shown orignally from 79-81, and I ain't that old, so I can only assume I saw reairs of this, I was thinking it was ITV on Sundays (probably before Highway - Harry Secombe had better not be on this compilation).

Anyway, I do laugh as Pertwee got to go under his own name rather than poor old Sachs despite this being done entirely in character as shithead Worzel. Here's the song:

This came off the album "Worzel Gummidge Sings" (not reviewing that) and would you believe that this single got as high as 33 in the charts - another reminder that the British love buying terrible shite.

Fuck off Worzel.