UFC 259: Blachowicz vs Adesanya - Mar 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
On 3/7/2021 at 10:49 AM, Panhead said:

I don't think I've missed the crowds until this show. Some of it felt flat.

100% im over this empty arena thing.

The night was weird. Some strange fights, nothing really caught fire and in and empty arena it just makes for a flat experience.

I scored the main event 49-46 for Jan (all 10-9's). Rogan got an Izzy hard-on but i felt Jan generally outstruck Izzy. Outside of the odd legkick it looked to me like all the significant strikes came from Jan. Izzy looked very ordinary. 

Loved seeing Jan win it though, i cheered him in that final round when he got the takedown. Just one of MMA's most unlikely success stories, what a guy.

• Paid Members

does anyone see a rematch going any better for Sterling? hes in a weird position now where hes holding the belt is going to be forced to fight the guy he won it from, but also the guy who was giving him a pretty rough night. 

I had Yan 29-28 up, and was giving him the 4th round. It wasnt gonna get any better for Aljo. Not quite sure how any judge gave Sterling 2 of those first 3 rounds.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think if there's one notable thing to come from that fight, it's that no matter some of the doubts that we might have had over the strength of Yan's record, he showed in this fight that he is the best currently active in the division. 

It's littered with assassin's left and right, and Yan missed some of them on the way up. The way he was handling Sterling though? Man, he's better than we even knew. I love this division. Can't wait for the re-match. Sandhagen will need to fight Dillashaw or Cejudo (if he feels like coming back) while Yan and Sterling get this sorted out. 

Feel good for Blachowicz to get such an important win. Possibly the most important of his career, as a title defence helps him validate his claim as champion. Adesanya winning might have led to the possibility of the Jones fight, but after seeing how this one went down I think I would have been coming away from Adesanya Vs Jones very deflated. Jones will know exactly how to beat him, should they ever face off. Adesanya Vs the winner of Whittaker Vs Costa (hopefully Whittaker - he'll have earnt it more with three wins in the bounce). Will do nicely for me. Then at LHW we can have a battle of the cuddly giants, Yanny Blackjacks and Groovy Glover. I hope that's a draw. How can you want either to lose? 

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

does anyone see a rematch going any better for Sterling? hes in a weird position now where hes holding the belt is going to be forced to fight the guy he won it from, but also the guy who was giving him a pretty rough night. 

I had Yan 29-28 up, and was giving him the 4th round. It wasnt gonna get any better for Aljo. Not quite sure how any judge gave Sterling 2 of those first 3 rounds.

Can't see anything other than a decision loss for Sterling, unfortunately. If there is a positive, at least he comes into the rematch making champion money. But yeah, he's not winning that fight most likely.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Yanny Blackjacks and Groovy Glover. I hope that's a draw. How can you want either to lose? 

not sure about those names, but if anything good came out of Saturday night, its that Glover will get his shot at Jan. If Izzy had won, i think Glover might have ended up getting shafted.

Jan Blachowicz vs. Glover Teixeira in 2021 for the 205lb strap, who would have predicted that?

• Paid Members

I know it's a very wrestling thing, but do any of you reckon there's something in not allowing a title to change hands via DQ? Then you avoid weird situations like this one.

Can't help thinking a better way to deal with this would be to call a DQ, and fine Yan a portion of his purse, then, following an internal review that judges whether or not he made a bad mistake or was deliberately being unsporting, either keep the belt on him or strip him of it, and make an immediate rematch for the title.

• Paid Members

I think you should absolutely lose it on a DQ. Whether the other fighter wins it, I guess I'm open to either possibility. 

If there was any doubt about whether the foul was intentional or not, I imagine the ref could have declared a no contest, keeping the belt on Yan? Not exactly sure on that with the unified rules differences making them not exactly unified. No matter, Yan absolutely gave away his right to hold the title with that mistake - bad corner advice or not. I guess it's harder for Sterling than anybody. He knows he technically holds the belt, but that nobody, including himself, sees him as the champion. He'll back himself though to make it right in the re-match, which at least this way he knows he's guaranteed to get, and be well compensated for. 

And yeah Egg, not great nicknames there! I'll at least try and pass the first one off as stealing it from Chad Dundas, but the second one is all my own bad judgement! 

If a champion knows there is a chance they can keep their belt by getting disqualified, then surely some will commit a professional foul if a fight is not going their way. 

The challenger should also win the championship if the champion gets themselves disqualified. If the fight had been going Sterling's way on Saturday evening before the DQ, this probably wouldn't even be a debate. It's really only because Sterling won the belt after getting outclassed for 2 straight rounds that him winning the championship is an issue for some.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

If a champion knows there is a chance they can keep their belt by getting disqualified, then surely some will commit a professional foul if a fight is not going their way. 

Thats some Honky Tonk Man IC title shit.

32 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

poor Aljo, he's taking a battering on social media.

I expect nothing less. Dudes who can't get off the couch without breaking a sweat being critical of a guy who took an illegal knee to the dome from a world champion level MMA fighter.