UFC 259: Blachowicz vs Adesanya - Mar 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I thought Yan won the first round. Sure, Sterling landed more and forced the action but Yan dropped him twice. What Yan was able to land was more important. 

Edit: I still can't believe I haven't mentioned Dominick Cruz. He squeaks out a solid victory, In the type of fight these veterans usually don't win (Think Lawler Vs Magny, Cerrone Vs Edwards and countless other examples). Afterwards I'm thinking 'right, call out Also or Edgar'. Instead he goes on some inexplicable rant against someone I have never heard of. Between this and the Keith Peterson stuff, I think Dom has lost the plot altogether. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

ahh yeah i wanted to bring that up. The guy he was ranting against was Hans Molenkamp. Molenkamp is a rep for Monster Energy and apparently tries to get Monster sponsored fighters into doing things they dont really wanna do, its all abit weird. 

Here's Dom and Molenkamp in happier times:

338ad9d6-8173-11eb-87b1-2ad3cd5fba10_ima

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

but what happens if the Champion committing the foul is losing the fight? Is it then wrong to not award the title the challenger?

If Sterling was clearly up on the card Saturday at the time of the foul i dont think we'd be having this discussion.

13 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

A DQ should absolutely result in the title changing hands, as Egg Shen points out, if Sterling was up on the cards then no one would be debating this. This is a rule that does not need to be changed or looked into.

Again: why I was saying there should be a nuanced approach, depending on the situation. I agree it doesn't need to be changed or looked into, but it does seem like something that might benefit from being revised. Aljo was losing at the time, but equally Yan doesn't deserve to hold the title for a foul like that.

• Paid Members

Haven’t seen it posted but Megan Anderson is gone from the UFC and she’s said that they’re shutting down the women’s Featherweight division. The Felicia Spencer vs Danyelle Wolf fight on May 22nd will be the last fight in the weight class apparently.

Hardly surprising really. There’s fuck all going on at 145. I might be wrong but I don’t even think they have rankings because there’s not enough fighters in the division to even make a Top 10! It’s a wasteland and was only ever really brought in in the first place because they signed Cyborg. Kind of a shame that ends the run of Nunes defending both belts but she’s already beat everyone who’s worth a shite at 145 at this point. She’s officially demolished the division. Guess we can forget that talk of Kayla Harrison ever coming in. I doubt she ever makes 135. So Cyborg vs Harrison in Bellator down the line it is then. 

• Paid Members

I'd never heard of Kayla Harrison, so Googled her. She's mostly competed at Lightweight! Fucker must be huge. More than that, she's beaten SEVEN opponents at that weight! How do you get that many when there aren't even enough at FW?

• Paid Members

Yeah she’s a bit of a tank. She made her Featherweight debut in her last fight after going 7-0 as a Lightweight, and I think most assumed she was dropping to 145 with an eye on getting a shot in the UFC or Bellator. The Nunes or Cyborg fights were the obvious ones to work towards but of course Nunes is off the table if the UFC have sacked off women’s 145.

As for finding her opponents at 155, it’s probably not so much that there aren’t women competing at 145 or 155, it’s the lack of quality. A quick glance at Harrison’s record and of her opposition I’ve only ever heard of Larissa Pacheco (she had a spell in the UFC and has a win over Irene Aldana), Harrison’s fought her twice and Pacheco took her the distance both times, Harrison’s stopped all her other opponents. And none of them even have a Wikipedia page. The UFC could probably keep 145 going for years but it’d be shite. There’d be enough fighters out there to cobble together a division, but not enough good ones to make it worthwhile. 

• Paid Members

They should just keep it going as an "as-and-when" division. Doesn't cost them anything, and it's a good idea, with Nunes having cleaned out bantam, to be able to give her "showcase" title matches to keep her ticking over while they try and line up a BW challenger scene. Wouldn't be difficult to set up, either - anyone FW coming in will automatically be a challenger anyway.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Haven’t seen it posted but Megan Anderson is gone from the UFC and she’s said that they’re shutting down the women’s Featherweight division. The Felicia Spencer vs Danyelle Wolf fight on May 22nd will be the last fight in the weight class apparently.

That's been shot down apparently. 

I think they may keep the division open in some capacity so long as Nunes wants to keep defending the belt. Its gonna end up like some kind of weird attraction belt as chief support to a more meaningful title fight.

The woman Felicia Spencer is fighting is just 1-0 in MMA too and 37 years old. She does have boxing titles to her name though.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd keep the belt 'active' just for the sake of it. Easy marketing to keep Nunes as a two weight champion. When 135 doesn't have a clear contender (or it's ended up being Holly Holm again) find Nunes a warm body to take on for one fight at 145.

Let's face it, 145 isn't a division as it stands, but that's not the only problem Nunes faces when it comes to unearthing viable contenders. 135 is also a terrible division, one of the worst in the company. On top of that, the best contender for Nunes is, and will remain to be, a woman that doesn't fight in either of her weight classes, who she already has two victories over. Let Nunes and Shevchenko continue to clear out those divisions until Valentina decides she wants one more crack at Nunes.

Hopefully nothing freaky happens between now and then with a mid fight injury or something that causes one of them to lose, as I don't see any other way either drops an L unless they just hang around until they are way too old. Both look a long way off that yet. 

• Paid Members

I forgot to mention it with all the big talking points on the show, but Bontorin and Kara-France? Boy, did those guys manage to do a whole hell of a lot of living inside that five minutes or what? Fantastic stuff.