Top 3 AEW matches of 2020

Chris B

• Paid Members

So, the first full year of AEW, and most of it has been in lockdown. I've enjoyed it immensely, and wondered what everyone's top three matches are.

My own:

Runner up:

Best Friends vs Proud and Powerful, Parking Lot Brawl.

This was so much fun, it could have easily been top three. Didn't think Best Friends had this one in them, but it was as brutal as it was easy to watch. Everyone came across as a bigger star, and the final image of Sue flipping the bird was just a perfect way to finish it. 

3 - The Stadium Stampede

After the weirder run of the lockdown matches, a PPV seemed like a bad idea. And yet it was fun all the way through. I wasn't expecting the Stampede match to be cinematic, but it ended up leaving me with a huge grin on my face. Part sketch-show, part wrestling, and so many of the jokes landed. By the time Ortiz was stressing about being unable to swim, I was totally won over. And Matt Jackson's suplexes down the entire pitch.

2 - Orange Cassidy vs Pac

"This time... He's gonna try!" I was seriously won over by the Orange Cassidy gimmick, but I wasn't sure how it would work over time. The comedy stuff worked great in small venues, but would it work in a stadium? Turns out it really did. And Pac as a manically angry straight man was just perfect. His angry walking around the ring to prevent Cassidy rolling out the ring (and OC's corpsing) was just perfect. And the sudden bursts of energy were great - so perfect in front of a crowd.

1 - Kenny Omega and Hangman Page vs The Young Bucks

I loved this, and it feels like the first time AEW properly hit on all cylinders. Just a great match from start to finish, and it felt like a big deal. The wondering if there'd be a turn and the tension was such a big element, but the way the match built and built was perfect. When the Bucks hit the Golden Trigger on Kenny and he lost his shit in response, I was so invested. 

• Paid Members

I suspect most people's top AEW matches will also be their top matches overall. All things considered, AEW have easily been my favourite promotion during 2020. That they've been this enjoyable and accomplished this much during the apocalypse? I can only imagine how great they'd have been under normal circumstances.

Honorable mentions go to The Parking Lot Brawl, Omega & Page vs. The Young Bucks, MJF vs. Jungle Boy, Moxley vs. Brodie Lee, Omega vs. Page and Omega & Page vs. The Lucha Brothers. That Adam Page and Kenny Omega are good wrestlers, aren't they?

3. Stadium Stampede was the pinnacle of Covid-era cinematic matches. Goofy, daft fun. Perfectly pitched within the realm of, "look, everything's a fucking mess, let's all be in on the joke and have the best time possible." So many great moments. Hangman on the horse, Sammy getting suplexed across the field, Hangman and Hager in the bar, Ortiz's daft selling of the bell, the golf kart, the spectacular finish. So, so great. Everything the Money in the Bank match wasn't. I still hope they make it an annual thing.

2. The Cody vs. Brodie Lee squash was fucking incredible. How to make a main event star in minutes. As a long-time Luke Harper fan this was everything I could've possibly imagined. Absolutely amazing. I must have watched it back at least ten times. I can't wait for Brodie to come back and batter people again.

1. Orange Cassidy vs. Pac is my match of the year regardless of promotion. In fact, I'd be hard pushed to think of a match I've enjoyed more in the last few years. What a match. Everything I adore about pro-wrestling. The most perfect character dynamic, both guys playing their role brilliantly, the crowd going crazy, a great story, and me sitting with the biggest shit-eating grin possible. That bit where Orange is rolling around the ring and Pac's getting angrier and angrier, until Orange just starts laughing? I'm smiling again now just thinking about it. When was the last time anyone had an arena genuinely howling like this?

It was more than just comedy, as well. I was living and dying with every one of Orange's incredible comebacks. The way the character works, especially in front of an invested crowd, there's nothing more thrilling than when he suddenly goes a hundred miles an hour. I was desperate to see him win and was genuinely gutted when he lost. Every emotion possible. A masterpiece. Can you even imagine where Orange would be now if Covid hadn't happened? He'd be one of the biggest things in the business. One day, Pac vs. Orange Cassidy needs to headline a pay per view for the AEW World Title in an arena full of fans. With Orange winning.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Hangman Page and Kenny Omega vs The Young Bucks. Probably my favourite match of the year as well. The hints of The Bucks and Kenny turning on Page as well as the Page tease of the buckshot to Kenny after the match just added so much to the story. 

Second would have to be Stadium Stampede and third MJF vs Jungle Boy. Probably MJFs standout match as I can’t think of any other really good ones he’s been in. 

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

I suspect most people's top AEW matches will also be their top matches overall.

Outside of the initial Roman Reigns vs Jey Uso match that's certainly true for me. I also enjoyed Cena/Fiend quite a lot, but I'm not sure that counts.

Anyway, 

3. Brodie Lee vs Cody (Dog Collar match) - I was disappointed to see Brodie lose and I'm still not convinced it was the right decision, but the match itself was amazing. I'm not sure I'd seen a dog collar match in my time as a fan and I was cynical about the concept, but every second of it compelled me. 

2. Orange Cassidy vs Pac - An absolute shit-tonne of fun. Rewatching this makes me sad that we didn't have Pac in AEW for most of 2020. In another universe I'm sure he'd have been a Moxley opponent, and had one hell of a match with him too. 

1. Omega & Page vs. The Young Bucks - I'd go as far as to say this might actually be my favourite tag match ever, it was absolutely gripping. The feud itself was outstanding, although it's mad to think they haven't yet followed through with The Bucks turning heel. 

3 - Kenny Omega vs Pac 30 minute Ironman Match on Dynamite:

Was this the first time that the NJPW Kenny took the stage in AEW? Either way, this was a phenomenal match, hard hitting, perfect pacing, exactly what you want from 2 top level wrestlers. 

2 - Proud and Powerful vs Best Friends, Parking Lot Brawl on Dynamite:

An intense, brutal, violent, sprint that ended with an old lady giving 2 lads the finger. Sent this match to a few lapsed wrestling fans, and they were loving it. A sign of a great match. 

1 - Kenny Omega & Adam Page vs The Young Bucks at Revolution: probably the best tag team match I've ever seen. I wasn't too familiar with Page or the Bucks before AEW, but they've done an amazing job of fleshing them out as characters in front of the cameras. One of the great things about AEW is that you feel as if they are rewarding you for paying attention, with all of the call backs and storyline moments during promos and matches, and it's been a long time since I've felt that way about wrestling.

This match, as referenced by others, is just brilliant. Not too fussed on star ratings but 6 stars makes sense for this match. From start to finish, it just builds and builds and builds. Even after the match, they are still building for future developments.

Absolutely stunning. 

What a year for AEW. I won dolt of the year in 2019 for my OTT excitement for how good I thought AEW was going to be..........I feel like I have been vindicated! Honourable mentions - Stadium Stampede at Double or Nothing (which I can't believe hasn't made my top 3), Best Friends vs. Santana & Ortiz (Parking Lot Brawl), Page v Omega at Full Gear.

3. Young Bucks v FTR at Full Gear (Meltzer 5.25 stars)

Just an amazing match and not even the crescendo of their fued. I expect them to top this next year in front of an arena full of fans, closing out a PPV. I know some folks were flat on this one going in as they didn't like the build on Dynamite, but for a fan who has been waiting for this for years, it was just great. 

2. Kenny Omega vs Pac 30 minute Ironman Match on Dynamite in February (Meltzer 4.75 stars)

My favourite Dynamite match of the year came just days before my #1. For all the criticism (unfair in my view) of Kenny Omega - he kicked off 2020 with this incredible match and continued to have great matches throughout 2020. Tony Schiavone & Excalibur said it was the best match ever on TNT and I think they are probably right.

1. Kenny Omega & Adam Page vs The Young Bucks at Revolution (Meltzer 6 stars)

The best tag team match I have ever seen. I'm so glad it happened just before fans disappeared - the atmosphere was amazing and everyone was on their feet by the end. Tony Schiavone was just superb on commentary. The right team won and Hangman looked like a superstar.

Can I class that segment where Lance Archer kicked the shit out of a load of scrubs in a wrestling ring in the woods whilst Jake Roberts sits on a deck chair in the background like a sleazy Emperor Palpatine as a match? Because if I can, that's one of my top things ever in wrestling, never mind 2020.