This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I dont know if Benn can win at elite world level but im excited to see him get in there and try, most exciting fighter in British boxing for me. 

Exactly what I was gonna come in here and say. He’s really become must-see viewing hasn’t he? I know the comparisons to his old man are old hat now and that talk’s died down anyway as Conor’s done his own thing. But in that way, he’s just like his dad. When Nigel Benn was fighting, I’d go out of my way to watch it live. Even as a 8, 9, 10 year old. All these years later I’m exactly the same with Conor. And he’s been like it pretty since day one of his career.

Agreed on Taylor as well. It’s like she’s missing a spark these days and just going through the motions. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Its crazy to think how far Benn has come too, when he started he was mocked as being a try-hard clone of his dad. I dont think many predicted he'd get to this level, and whilst he's catching these opponents later on, Benn is beating good fighters in more convincing fashion than other top level fighters did.

• Paid Members

Yeah as great as that first Peynaud fight was early in his career, he’s definitely come a long way since then. He’s well out of the shadow of his old fella now, which is something I wasn’t sure he’d ever do. And something I don’t think Eubank Jr’s ever fully done. I think the fact that Nigel took a backseat fairly early on and wasn’t always in the corner and talking for Conor has helped him make his own name. 

• Paid Members

The whole Benn family dynamic is great too, Nigel is made up for his son, and Connor is just in awe of his dad, its translates great on TV. Its my favorite duo in Boxing.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Parker vs. Chisora 2 - Dec. 18th)
  • Paid Members

E_alP99VkA8AfP9.0.thumb.webp.d9b06b0519325699567b6745ed579288.webp

Parker/Chisora II tonight, the rematch nobody asked for. Such a weird fight to make, but i guess it does decent business.

The first fight was decent but I didnt feel it was controversial. Parker's come in at a career heaviest here, not quite sure what to make of that. I expect him to win again by points though.

Undercard is decent, some close fights odds wise, pick of the bunch being Lerone Richards/Carlos Gongora. They've thrown Richards in deep here, but its good to see.

Alen Babic on there to smash up some fool too.

🌲

Haven't seen much British boxing this year apart from the big, big fights. Good to see the refereeing and judging is as shit as ever.

Ruling a foot tangle in the Eubank/Algieri fight as a knockdown.

Then this week the scoring on the Parker/Chisora fight. One of the judges scored it 114-112 to Parker. Chisora was down 3 times!!

• Paid Members

yeh the cards were ludicrous, like properly inept. 115-110, 115-111 and 114-112. 

I had it for Parker 119-106, i had him winning 11 rounds plus add him scoring knockdowns in 3. You could argue Chisora maybe won 1-2 more rounds but was it. 

The actual fight was great. No one called for it, but it more than delivered as a brutal, exciting heavyweight brawl. Chisora is out of his mind, and Parker probably looked the best ive ever seen him in spells. You always sense Parker was holding back but he let his hands fly on Saturday. Both guys felt the pace, but thats a Chisora fight for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

its the quiestest time of the year fight wise and most fans are probably grateful for the break, but Fox has this weird ass PPV happening on New Years Day and im all in:

20211230_080626.thumb.jpg.53bbe3ebeab6f4308f7235238aeafa4f.jpg

5 x 10 round heavyweight fights in a single night.

Im actually rooting for Charles Martin in that main event. He became a bit of a joke post-Joshua, he fell off the rails but seems to have shit together and has done well since. You just expect Ortiz to fall to pieces at some point given his age, and inactivity. Im going for The Prince by upset.

Its £12.99 on Fite TV over here if you want the privilege, sure it'll be easy enough to find elsewhere though.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Ortiz vs. Martin - Jan 1st)

Who was the ref in that one? He was virtually in the first row to the far end of the ring when that first shot connected! Martin is doing the soft-shoe shuffle and the ref is wandering around like a badly programmed AI ref in Fight Night 2002 for the Playstation.