This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

There's a massive difference.

Rematch clauses are not obligatory for mandatory defences. They are at the discretion of the challenger and usually hashed out between promoters. If the rematch clause can't be agreed and the Champion refuses the fight, he'll be forced to drop the belt and the challenger would fight the next available top 15 ranked fighter with that body.

With Joshua, he has the tremendous leverage that comes with being a superstar. So Krassuk will have sat down with Eddie and the discussion will have gone 'Here's X million quid and Ukranian TV rights, in return we want a rematch clause should Usyk win'.

There's 2 outcomes in that situation, if they are serious about the rematch: You take the deal, make a load of money and have to honour the clause should you win OR you refuse, Joshua is forced to vacate the WBO (a very real possibility) and you end up taking less money to fight a Joseph Parker or Joe Joyce.

The decision is pretty clear.

With Lopez, he simply doesn't have that sort of financial leverage. If you're Kambosas, you let him vacate, fight an easier opponent, win a world title and then bag yourself a Garcia or someone like that.

But even before that, remember this fight couldn't be agreed between Arum and DiBella so it went to purse bids, first to Triller and then eventually ended up at DAZN. There was no one involved with a vested interest in even talking about a rematch clause.

In terms of the other question about whether someone has defended one title and hoarded others, it happens at regional level sometimes - particularly if a WBO intercontinental title or something up at an agreed catchweight and the champion also holds an IBF European or something who won't recognise the catchweight due to the IBF's strict weigh-in laws - but it won't happen at a world level. You may as well defend all as you'd be stripped anyway, as no one wants to line up behind a champion who's just lost at the same weight class.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Arthur vs. Yarde II - Dec. 4th)
  • Paid Members

no shortage of big fights this weekend:

arthur.jpeg.thumb.jpg.7560d72fd6786ec8e6593fc6155dd86f.jpg

haney-diaz-poster-dazn-ftr_1kifsd2oase5h19twh79wb6t7a.thumb.jpg.10b6d242fc9441c46932f6300594aaaf.jpg

davis-cruz.thumb.jpg.56f39dad7df000888e4e5f459504ff89.jpg

its a silly lineup, 3 cracking fights headline

Dunno how i see the Arthur/Yarde fight going. It feels like its going under the radar, but my gut says Yarde gets it right this time.

Davis/Cruz should be bananas. Cruz is a lateish replacement, but if you haven't heard of him, he's an all action, pocket rocket of a fighter. That fight will be nothing but action.

• Paid Members

Seemed like easy work in the end for Anthony Yarde. Just put his foot on the gas and got Arthur out of there in 4. The critics will wonder what would have happened if this had gone long because Yarde set a high pace but we'll never know. Good performance.

• Paid Members

Yeah I was gutted for Arthur, to be honest. Really grown to like him and never been keen on Yarde but fair’s fair, that was a hell of a way to bounce back from the loss the first time. Sets up a third fight down the line nicely as well with them 1-1 now.

Oh yeah, anyone see the Lejarraga KO against Jack Flatley from Friday? Nasty.

image.gif.4ff0c4da03be54f9b3154f088b6d3167.gif

Flatley was out for a while and the way he went down didn’t look good at all. Thankfully he’s OK. Saw this on Twitter as well, all class from Lejarraga…

3ADEABC6-9DFA-4A7F-9575-412A42757589.jpeg

7D467FCF-C7F1-491F-A478-E559E2E51516.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 12/5/2021 at 8:04 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I was gutted for Arthur, to be honest. Really grown to like him and never been keen on Yarde but fair’s fair, that was a hell of a way to bounce back from the loss the first time. Sets up a third fight down the line nicely as well with them 1-1 now.

Oh yeah, anyone see the Lejarraga KO against Jack Flatley from Friday? Nasty.

image.gif.4ff0c4da03be54f9b3154f088b6d3167.gif

Flatley was out for a while and the way he went down didn’t look good at all. Thankfully he’s OK. Saw this on Twitter as well, all class from Lejarraga…

3ADEABC6-9DFA-4A7F-9575-412A42757589.jpeg

7D467FCF-C7F1-491F-A478-E559E2E51516.jpeg

Yeah thats class from Lejarraga, brutal KO  Ive become a bit of a fan of Lejaragga, his fights always go on in the shadows of much biggers shows but hes carved out a nice little lane on these European shows. Always in good fights and pulls in a good crowd.

Anyone catch Haney/Diaz? it was decent but you just sensed early that Haney was gonna win a decision. Diaz fought well but was outworked and didnt seem to have the firepower to damage Haney. Haney/Kambosos is probably gonna happen next.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Benn vs. Algieri- Dec. 11th)
  • Paid Members

the rest of this weekends ridiculous schedule (this was also to include the Eubank/Williams fight originally).

20211210_085316.thumb.jpg.8c56d605f6f0637cf0cce1ef73b5b263.jpg

Im probably gonna go with the Benn/Algieri fight live tomorrow over the Edwards card, though i think the Edwards card is slightly better. 

The Bivol/Salamov fight is on DAZN, Lomachenko/Commey on Sky.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Benn vs. Algieri - Dec. 11th)
  • Paid Members
23 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

the rest of this weekends ridiculous schedule (this was also to include the Eubank/Williams fight originally).

20211210_085316.thumb.jpg.8c56d605f6f0637cf0cce1ef73b5b263.jpg

Im probably gonna go with the Benn/Algieri fight live tomorrow over the Edwards card, though i think the Edwards card is slightly better. 

The Bivol/Salamov fight is on DAZN, Lomachenko/Commey on Sky.

Fucking hell. Had no idea the Bivol and Donaire fights were this week as well. I’m never gonna be able to watch all this. 

• Paid Members

Bivol/Salamov has been added to DAZN too, which is nice.

Joel Riel Casimero has pulled out of the Paul Butler fight on the Probellum card through illness, hurts that card quite a bit as i was up for that. I'll definitely be going with Benn/Algieri tonight now.

• Paid Members

Crikey, Benn sent Chris Algieri to the land of wind & ghosts last night. Heck of a performance and a hell of a finish.

I dont know if Benn can win at elite world level but im excited to see him get in there and try, most exciting fighter in British boxing for me. Thought DAZN oversold the threat of Algieri a little, as his best days are behind him but Connor dealt with him in style.

The Katie Taylor before was a tough watch. Something just doesn't seem the same with Taylor these days, just doesn't seem the same force as she once was and all her fights just bumble along to a decision. She needs a big fight.