This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

9 hours ago, David said:

Well, what do you expect him to say? I honestly believe Williams thought everything he said was true. You don't get to the level of the sport he has by admitting defeat before you even lace up the gloves. 

Someone has to win, and someone has to lose. It's how it goes, but it doesn't mean that a fighter who believed he was capable of beating his opponent in all areas has "made a twat of himself." He was soundly beaten on the night, but it won't be long before he convinces himself that it was an off-night for him, or that something wasn't done correctly in his training or so forth. That's why so many fighters change trainers after a loss. They either believe it's something they did in preparation that cost them the fight, but that can be fixed, or they admit they're just not up to it and lost because they aren't as good as they think they are.

One of those options isn't conducive to continuing with a successful career.

These Gloves Are Off and other face to face hype shows would be really fucking dull if it was just both guys saying "yeah, I'll give it my best shot, but he's a great fighter so it could go either way. May the best man win." It's worth remembering that those shows are entirely geared towards ensuring as many eyeballs are watching Sky Sports on the night of the fight as possible. 

I expected it to be an entertaining conversation between the pair. I didn't realise Liam Williams' personality was so horrible & he was so full of shit. His arrogant attitude towards Eubank, giving him no credit. Saying he wanted to kill him. (which the BBBoC are now investigating) Williams' even told Eubank he couldn't punch. This is a guy who almost killed Nick Blackwell from hitting him too hard.

Yes you need massive self-belief and massive balls to be a boxer. I have massive respect for every boxer who steps in the ring. But you also have to respect your opponent and Williams gave none to Eubank, and the reasons why were so feeble.

There is also a level of reality you need too. Liam William's said he could beat Chris Eubank any way. But Liam Williams doesn't possess those skills, not many fighters are the complete package. That's the realistic side of it. That's why he's stepped up 4 times now and lost everytime. Being at the level of British champion is nothing to sniff at.

And he didn't make a twat out of himself because he lost. It was the way he conducted himself afterwards. No post fight hand shake, no post fight interviews, thanking his home fans for supporting him. No praising Eubank for being the better man/fighter. He promised so much and delivered so little. Whereas the stigma with Eubank is, he's so flash, he's so arrogant. In this fight and build-up he's only come across quiet & humble.

• Paid Members

i think you are reading abit too much into it Rossman. A bit of genuine needle and dislike between fighters happens, its part of the game. The majority of the time fans complain that the build up is manufactured and don't like the fact that fighters are cordial after a fight, you can't please everybody 😄

As for the fight, Williams might not have backed up his claims but he certainly didn't disgrace himself, you couldn't fault the effort. 

He posted this to Instagram on Monday:

Screenshot_20220209-235401_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1a204008a6c1f67a3b620fd46c7f6e66.jpg

• Paid Members

Jacobs/Ryder tonight from Ally Pally...

20220212_135002.thumb.jpg.a2bb30f9024e324b8c2f446b5f803487.jpg

Its not a great card on paper, its one ive warmed too through the week. 

Ryder/Jacobs is an excellent main event. Its a big fight John Ryder deserves after getting robbed of a World Title against Callum Smith. Jacobs the favorite but there's lot of questions of what he has left. Good fight.

Johnny Fisher in action again. Hes massively favoured but apparently sold 2000 tickets himself for this, so expect a rowdy atmosphere.

Also up for that Cash/Madiev fight. Cash is one of the most underrated fighters in the country, and Madiev is a 15-0 Russian. Theres talk that the bookies have this all wrong and that Madiev is very much in this. Could be a good one.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:56 PM, Egg Shen said:

As for the fight, Williams might not have backed up his claims but he certainly didn't disgrace himself, you couldn't fault the effort. 

He got battered, Ebb, I know you’re rooting for him but he made himself look daft. You can’t fault the effort but you say that about practically every fighter. You can certainly fault everything else. 

• Paid Members

I dont think he did. Forget the pre-fight patter, in the ring he got off to the worst start you could possibly have without getting stopped and came back to win a fair portion of the rest of the fight, no shame in that 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Paid Members

A bit of a headscratcher last night. I had Jacobs winning comfortably 117-111. For six rounds it was a bit of a dud, Jacobs comfortably won the opening 6 and Ryder wasn't in it. The fight came to life in round 7 and i had him winning that round along with 8 & 9. Then Jacobs winning the last 3. Happy for Ryder, but this was abit of a robbery for me.

Cash/Madiev fight which was quality. As suspected, Madiev was better than the bookies believed and he gave Felix a couple of torrid rounds. The Russian will be kicking himself for not putting his foot down in the middle rounds.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

From one big all-domestic fight to another. On Sky this weekend is Josh Taylor/Jack Catterall.

220226_TaylorCatteral_KeyArt_1920.thumb.jpg.05a40bac2e1e7bf178295373d65f805e.jpg

I'm not giving Catterall much of a shot here as its hard to see a path of victory for him. This is all about Josh Taylor getting a Sky main event homecoming in Scotland. Hopefully this captures the imagination and starts to propel Taylor to the popularity he deserves, and who knows, maybe this thing ignites the start of a new unlikely rivalry.

They did a Gloves Are Off...

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Taylor vs. Catterall - Feb 26th)
  • Paid Members

Is there a more volatile boxer around that Josh Taylor during fight week, the mans coiled ready to explode. Really up for the fight with Catterall tomorrow. There doesn't seem to be any need for needle there but Taylor gets angry at everyone he fights.

Note* The show is on Sky Showcase again, so no Sports package needed.

20220225_182649.thumb.jpg.f1ca34b8a99ae84358b3748dbf95223f.jpg

• Paid Members

I don't think i've ever felt this angry after a decision, what has just happened.

114-111 Catterall for me. Props to Ben Shalom saying it like it is. 

It's a tough sport to love sometimes.

The compubox numbers:

20220226_231745.thumb.jpg.716a394bf6b35b09811511c45b53f605.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah absolute bollocks that was. I hate calling fights a robbery because I think ‘robbery’ is one of the most overused words in combat sports but this was an outright robbery for me. It’s sad though that even in the later rounds when it was looking like Caterall should’ve been well on his way to the win, you almost expected some fishy judging if it went to the cards. My best mate/brother in law was round watching it and we were saying ‘watch them rob him now’ before the decision was read. Half joking, half genuine pessimism. And like Gooner said, as soon as the first card was read you knew the game was up.