This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

sheeeeit, Crawford/Porter was intense. It was one of those where i was going back and forth on the scorecards but i had Porter ahead slightly going into the 10th before Bud turned it on and got rid of him. Was quite surprised Kenny Porter pulled his son out because Shawn looked more pissed off than hurt getting up from the second knockdown. High drama. 

Oh, Demetrious Andrade finally turned on the style on Friday night. Dusted Jason Quigley in 2 rounds and looked awesome in doing so.

• Paid Members

Yeah I felt bad for Porter. He fought so well and I think I had him a round up myself. Goes to show how good Crawford is though because as soon as he saw an opening he was like a sniper. 

7860E11F-3E72-46F7-9EB9-9031A1C1B756.gif

Porter announced his retirement as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I think given the context of the impending retirement (which I presume Kenny knew about) I think it half makes sense.

Porter’s been doing TV punditry and other gigs, on top of training. I had him a round up, but maybe Kenny saw a Shawn Porter at 100% of his abilities in 2021 and the minute Bud stepped it up He just didn’t think Shawn could match him.

If you think your sons got one foot out the door and you don’t think he can increase the level in the later rounds, I think calling it quits makes sense. No one wanted to see Porter taken out on a stretcher and retire a week later on social media.

He got to stand on his own two feet and say goodbye and go home to his family. I get it.

Kenny phrased it poorly, but I think the stoppage was fine.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Lopez vs. Kamobos Jr. - Nov. 27th)
  • Paid Members

anyone up for Lopez/Kambosos?

lopez.thumb.jpg.d15df45cf4f10c44e563b27d2d9f2118.jpg

One of the most mental saga's of the year finally gets settled on Saturday night. This thing was originally seen as a stroke of genius from Lopez who got Triller to bid $6 million to host the fight. Triller shit the bed on numerous occasions and refused to put it on. Matchroom rescued it and here we are months later.

The fight itself was seen a routine defence for Lopez originally, but its turned into a huge grudge match and Kambosos ridiculous confidence and self belief has got people thinking this may be more competitive than anyone first imagined. I cant wait for it.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:11 PM, Egg Shen said:

anyone up for Lopez/Kambosos?

lopez.thumb.jpg.d15df45cf4f10c44e563b27d2d9f2118.jpg

One of the most mental saga's of the year finally gets settled on Saturday night. This thing was originally seen as a stroke of genius from Lopez who got Triller to bid $6 million to host the fight. Triller shit the bed on numerous occasions and refused to put it on. Matchroom rescued it and here we are months later.

The fight itself was seen a routine defence for Lopez originally, but its turned into a huge grudge match and Kambosos ridiculous confidence and self belief has got people thinking this may be more competitive than anyone first imagined. I cant wait for it.

Well, it didn’t disappoint.

That was incredible.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was mad. I’ll have to rewatch it in the week (any excuse) but I had Kambosos winning by a few rounds myself. I don’t know if that’s more because he was doing so much better than expected that it made me more generous scoring him rounds though. Was happy to see him get the decision. Great fight.

No rematch clause either apparently, so Kambosos is free to go whatever route he wants. In this case though I would love to see a rematch. 

Fantastic fight, I had Kambosos winning by few rounds too, I thought he did enough to take the belts. I have no idea why Lopez with defending all the belts, didn't have a rematch clause in the contract for in case he lost, unless him and his team generally believed Kambosos had no hope in winning which from everything said in the build up to this fight I can believe, but just like Lopez wouldn't give Lomachenko a rematch, Kambosos may well give him a taste of his own medicine. A lot of good fights to be made at 135lbs.

• Paid Members

Unbelievable! there is nothing like boxing when its great. 

20211129_202242.thumb.jpg.325ad604cfea57a79e773192cb973f04.jpg

There was just a feeling all week that Kambosos had something up his sleeve, you could just sense it from the way he was acting. Add that with Lopez sounding like his career is falling apart around him business wise and with all the bullshit that went along with the fight being and this just felt like there could be a huge shock. Kambosos was awesome, what a warrior. Probably my favorite fight of the year.

Bit of a shame Lopez went out like he did, he didnt do his reputation much good claiming he thinks he won it 10 rounds to 2. I had it 115-111 Kambosos. Lopez father did his son no favours in the corner.

"you need to move up, cause you're delusional" George Kambosos.

20211129_201739.thumb.jpg.2a98bf03632e2e911ed24f9fb336ac3d.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 11/28/2021 at 2:40 PM, Gooner said:

I have no idea why Lopez with defending all the belts, didn't have a rematch clause in the contract for in case he lost

I might be wrong, but i think in the case of a mandatory defence a rematch clause can't be written into the contract.

24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I might be wrong, but i think in the case of a mandatory defence a rematch clause can't be written into the contract.

It can when you decide to defend all the other belts. If he defends just the mandatory belt, he keeps the others if he loses. Same thing with Joshua and Usyk, rematch clause put in because Usyk was fighting for all the belts and not just the WBO belt that he was mandated for. He was stupid for not having it in, arrogance personified.

Just now, Egg Shen said:

a boxer cant decide to just defend one title if he holds more than one though? can he/she?

They can to a certain extent based on the time involved. It's why you can manipulate the rematch if you only mandated to defend one title. You usually have rematch clauses as someone who has say 3 belts, wants to defend them all and the person challenging the champion wants to fight for all the belts they have, rather then just the one  they have been mandated for, We usually see rematches when a champion has more then one belt. It's different when you are unifying with another champion, rematch clause works for both, it's why Lomachenko didn't want one in his fight with Lopez, as the clause would work for both and because he thought he would win, he didn't want to be forced to fight him again next.