Glasgow

tiger_rick

Looking at the clips on twitter right now. 

I live in Glasgow and (pre-lockdown) I would travel through that exact area every single day on my way to and from the office. Overwhelmingly real when you see blood on the streets, armed police etc. in an area you know so well.

Absolutely terrible stuff and I am fearing the fallout could be quite nasty based on the race / police issues going on at the moment.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Looking at the clips on twitter right now. 

I live in Glasgow and (pre-lockdown) I would travel through that exact area every single day on my way to and from the office. Overwhelmingly real when you see blood on the streets, armed police etc. in an area you know so well.

Absolutely terrible stuff and I am fearing the fallout could be quite nasty based on the race / police issues going on at the moment.

Had people in the office along the road so it was absolute carnage trying to reach them and make sure everyone was alright. 

I am not worried about any fall out, we have shown before our resolve in the face of such tragedies (2007 Glasgow Airport attack, 2014 Bin Lorry Crash) and for the most part the Police Scotland are fantastic at managing the public through these. If Police had tried to empty Bournemouth beach the way Kelvingrove Park was cleared last night there'd have been a massive public order disturbance.

Glasgow is more tolerant than many areas of the UK (first hand experience) so the fact someone has been shot dead isn't likely to cause issues along race lines - I'd be stunned if it did.

Most hotels in that part of town have been housing homeless individuals some with varying degrees of mental health issues according to people I know in the NHS/council so that may be a contributing factor.

Fingers crossed everyone stays safe and vigilant.

1 hour ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Had people in the office along the road so it was absolute carnage trying to reach them and make sure everyone was alright. 

I am not worried about any fall out, we have shown before our resolve in the face of such tragedies (2007 Glasgow Airport attack, 2014 Bin Lorry Crash) and for the most part the Police Scotland are fantastic at managing the public through these. If Police had tried to empty Bournemouth beach the way Kelvingrove Park was cleared last night there'd have been a massive public order disturbance.

Glasgow is more tolerant than many areas of the UK (first hand experience) so the fact someone has been shot dead isn't likely to cause issues along race lines - I'd be stunned if it did.

Most hotels in that part of town have been housing homeless individuals some with varying degrees of mental health issues according to people I know in the NHS/council so that may be a contributing factor.

Fingers crossed everyone stays safe and vigilant.

Did you see the attacks on groups of Refugee & BLM protests earlier this month? Shit's brewing up there with the NDL right now.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I didn't say it was perfect or condone any attacks but it was nothing like what's been replicated elsewhere either a few weeks ago or historically. 

Today's incident is unlikely (in my opinion) to cause problems along race lines as was implied in a previous post. In my opinion, Glasgow is more tolerant. I have lived around the world and that is my experience. 

15 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I didn't say it was perfect or condone any attacks but it was nothing like what's been replicated elsewhere either a few weeks ago or historically. 

Today's incident is unlikely (in my opinion) to cause problems along race lines as was implied in a previous post. In my opinion, Glasgow is more tolerant. I have lived around the world and that is my experience. 

No, it was exactly like what has been happening elsewhere even down to how the police handled it by pushing aganst and kettling the antifascists while they were being attacked by nazi thugs.

I'll take your word for it that it was a more tolerant city but it's not currently looking that way.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Suplex Sinner that’s a bit like saying racism exists because I’ve never experienced it myself.

I'm sorry if that's how it comes across as that is genuinely not my intention, nor do I particularly want to be tarnished with that brush. 

My point, apparently poorly made, is that today's incident involving an individual with alleged mental health issues is unlikely to cause scenes the like of which we've seen on TV from across the US and UK in recent weeks.

My secondary point is that the city comes together and has an excellent track record of doing so after tragedies, not tearing itself apart, as happens so often elsewhere. That's why I'd be stunned if it degenerated into any form of unrest. That is all. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

No, it was exactly like what has been happening elsewhere even down to how the police handled it by pushing aganst and kettling the antifascists while they were being attacked by nazi thugs. I should also say that this group seems to be linked to the terrorist group National Action.

I'll take your word for it that it was a more tolerant city but it's not currently looking that way.

I appreciate that, I can only offer my opinion on what I have seen (in person and on social media) and did not intend to deny anything that had happened. The city isn't on a knife edge nor has it been in my living memory. My point, as intended, was that after major instances like this the city pulls closer together, not degenerate into violence and I would expect the same again.

I don't want to derail this thread so I am open to chatting separately if necessary.

EDIT: 

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Update

2 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Oh, come on now. I know there's a smug superiority that us Scots feel when we compare ourselves to the nasty, racist English down the road. Turning our noses up at the English who "voted for Boris," while we're so progressive. It's bollocks.

Make no mistake about it, if this incident is eventually reported as a refugee or asylum seeker losing the plot and stabbing innocent people there'll be right-wing factions all over it like white on rice.

Glasgow is fuck all more tolerant than other areas of the UK. I live in Merchant City, a stones throw from George Square where right-wing thugs have been kicking up fuck about refugees for weeks now. I've seen and heard the Chinese students here put up with absolute nonsense due to the coronavirus, and I've seen Asians treated terribly by locals.

I have a friend born in Scotland of parents from China who regularly gets shit in pubs when we're out at the weekend. Dude has lived here all his life, with as Scottish an accent as me or anyone I know, but still gets the "Aye, you're living here now, but where are you really from?" and because he has a western name he gets the old "Aye, but what's your Chinese name or wherever the fuck you're from?"

People get quite fucking angry when he won't admit to being Chinese or pretend that he has a foreign sounding name. 

We're certainly no worse than anywhere else, but let's not perpetuate the shit that the SNP peddle about Scotland being "one country, many cultures."

We've long had the stain of sectarianism on our streets, where our politicians actively grant licenses for marches that promote divisiveness and bigotry. "Marching season" usually means a plethora of stabbings, slashings, and beatings dished out from both sides of the religious divide.

Glasgow is no different to Manchester, London, or Liverpool. We all have our issues, and to hear Scots smugly claim we're better than our southern neighbours isn't just irritating, it only provides a misplaced complacency that we're "not as bad" as other UK cities.

If this does turn out to be the actions of a refugee or asylum seeker suffering from mental health issues then we'll need to be vigilant, because the right-wing trash will be looking to whip up a frenzy, just as they would anywhere else.