The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not seen much talk on Drew/Punk. Did they have a showdown or a VT or something? I assume they must have as they have a match Saturday.

They had a security barriered promo inside of the Cell, Punk was dressed super casual in his own merch while Drew, naturally, was dressed in his best funeral suit. I hope they won’t, but I’d imagine they’ll have Drew show up at NXT tonight as it’s in Chicago and Punk’s refereeing the NXT title match, in similar fashion to when Pete Dunne jumped Trick Williams after he’d reffed the Page/Hendry match at the last NXT special

1 hour ago, Duke said:

I mean, they've already started teasing Gunther's next, or next big at least, opponent in Bron. 

I do think they recognise Sami's value, I just don't think he's a priority right now. He's just turned 40 and whole I doubt he's leaving, I'm not too surprised he's not high on the priority list, especially if the bloodline feud is coming. 

I’m not sure what you mean by him not being a ‘priority’, but he’s consistently booked as one of the top stars in the company, he’s been involved in the high profile Bloodline story, main event re Wrestlemania and ended Gunther’s historic IC title run. For me, he’s been booked in a way that suggests they view him as one of their most important wrestlers. If he loses next week and goes on to be part of a reformed original Bloodline, I see that as a continuation of his push, not as him being relegated to being a bit part player. Whatever happens, I do believe he’ll win a World title in WWE, and it’ll be presented as a huge moment when he does. The near misses will make his eventual success all the sweeter.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I’m not sure what you mean by him not being a ‘priority’, but he’s consistently booked as one of the top stars in the company, he’s been involved in the high profile Bloodline story, main event re Wrestlemania and ended Gunther’s historic IC title run. For me, he’s been booked in a way that suggests they view him as one of their most important wrestlers. If he loses next week and goes on to be part of a reformed original Bloodline, I see that as a continuation of his push, not as him being relegated to being a bit part player. Whatever happens, I do believe he’ll win a World title in WWE, and it’ll be presented as a huge moment when he does. The near misses will make his eventual success all the sweeter.

Sure, and since Bron beat him he's been a fair bit colder. By priority I'm saying he's not one of the top 3 babyfaces on Raw right now (Punk, Priest and Jey, if you're asking, not necessarily in that order, and Seth's just come back and Bron is rising up the charts.) I'm not criticising, especially, you have to cycle guys in and out a bit, and it does feel like he's in a bit of a holding pattern until the bloodline thing kicks off more. The Gunther match will, inevitably, be really good, and I'm not suggesting he's being buried or anything, but you just need to look at how this feud is vs how the IC feud less than 6 months ago to see the difference. It seems really clear to me that he's being fed to the guy. This match is set up to be a good match that no one expects him to win, Gunther can get his win back and then crack on with being a dominant champion for a while. That's perfectly reasonable booking, in fact it's probably better in the big picture for Raw, and not a problem for Sami as he's likely to move over to do some bloodline things soonish, where hopefully he'll heat up again. What he does after *that* will be the trick. 

Zayn may or may not win a world title soon. I don't think he especially needs to, but would be thrilled if he did. If I were planning, I'd have him take it off Bron after Bron beats Gunther, as that underdog story is already there. But that's the nub, I suppose. I can't think of many good ideas of things for Sami to do now, rather than in the future assuming certain things happen. That said, I can't say I thought of joining the bloodline before he did it, so maybe they have something in mind for him.

Bron should be kept well away from Gunther at the minute.

Gunther's challengers through to Mania should really be set.

vs Zayn on Raw, then maybe a rematch in Saudi. Punk at SS, Rollins at RR, and maybe Cena at Mania.

I'd be looking at keeping Bron busy for the next 18 months with the IC title then giving him the World Title push come Mania 42.

13 minutes ago, Duke said:

Sure, and since Bron beat him he's been a fair bit colder. By priority I'm saying he's not one of the top 3 babyfaces on Raw right now (Punk, Priest and Jey, if you're asking, not necessarily in that order, and Seth's just come back and Bron is rising up the charts.) I'm not criticising, especially, you have to cycle guys in and out a bit, and it does feel like he's in a bit of a holding pattern until the bloodline thing kicks off more. The Gunther match will, inevitably, be really good, and I'm not suggesting he's being buried or anything, but you just need to look at how this feud is vs how the IC feud less than 6 months ago to see the difference. It seems really clear to me that he's being fed to the guy. This match is set up to be a good match that no one expects him to win, Gunther can get his win back and then crack on with being a dominant champion for a while. That's perfectly reasonable booking, in fact it's probably better in the big picture for Raw, and not a problem for Sami as he's likely to move over to do some bloodline things soonish, where hopefully he'll heat up again. What he does after *that* will be the trick. 

This may come back to haunt me, but I don’t think he’s being fed to Gunther here - I think the match will have wider purpose in Sami’s ongoing quest for gold. I don’t disagree that Sami has cooled off, but so has Cody - my point here being that you need a hot opponent/storyline to feel like there’s a clear direction. Punk has McIntyre, Priest has the Judgement Day story, Jey has just won the IC belt. But I’d say there’s parity in status with Sami and most of the above. Regardless, I’m buzzing for next week’s show, and Bad Blood for that matter.

• Paid Members

I think any criticisms of WWE sticking to THE PLAN have got to go in the bin now that Jey Uso beat Bron Breakker for the Intercontinental Title out of nowhere.

It was such a clever thing to do, having a huge shock title switch like that, because now you can’t be so sure it won’t happen again. Previously, you knew all of Hunter’s main singles champions were going to have a long reign and likely lose at a big pay per view. But now? I’ll be cheering on Sami next week. With enough support, maybe he’ll do it. Love that guy.

Also, I hate to be the one to admit it, but Bloodline Civil War just isn’t happening at Survivor Series, is it? You can see a mile off where the direction is now going for War Games. Solo, Jacob, Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa vs. Cody, Roman, Randy Orton and Kevin Owens in the ultimate Can-They-Co-Exist match. It’s not even a particularly bad match or direction. There’s been some great drama between Cody, Kevin and Randy, and you assume it’ll lead to the big heel turn at the end, but man. Sure would be good to see The Dawgs back together. Maybe they can save it for some mad 8-man tag early next year. Get The Rock involved. Bin off Solo.

It was a good show. Last Monster Standing delivered in spades, even if it became more and more obvious that Strowman was legitimately injured. Lad looked absolutely knackered limping through all those spots. Fair play to him carrying on with what’s reported to be a torn groin. And yeah, Seth looked good in returning. Maybe even cool. But will it last? Of course it fucking won’t! See you next Monday for the return of The Cackling Peacock Dickhead.

The Ring Exploding was the weakest it’s ever looked, but it still had me grinning from ear to ear. Always enjoy stuff like that. Love that it’s now became tradition that the ref goes flying to the outside, too. Would love to be there live to try and figure out how they do it. On that note, when was the last time someone went through the ring canvas, Bam Bam style? Someone needs to bring that back!

Shockingly bad promo from Jey Uso. Absolutely shat the bed. Did he forget his lines or something? Time seemed to stand still for what felt like forever, with him just mumbling and repeating himself. On the plus side, the new belt looks class.

I continue to enjoy the New Day stuff. Really fresh take to have someone teasing a heel turn, but you’re rooting for them to just get it together and have a happy ending. Save us, Big E! They’re being too sour!

On that subject though, Miz turning on Truth? A tag team or faction having problems, bickering or splitting up?! On a Triple H-produced broadcast? Never!

Still can’t understand how Rey Mysterio is moving so well. I know it’s stem cells or something, but still. It boggles my mind. He looks like he’s in his twenties! Someone give Kota Ibushi Rey’s number!

New commentator continues to deliver. Great voice. Authentic enthusiasm. I almost think they haven’t clued him in yet that it’s a work. Guy seems equally amazed and appalled at everything!

Really good promo from Drew and Punk. They’ve half salvaged this. What a tease from Punk though! Coming out in white T-shirt and white trousers, I was convinced we were getting a heavy blood angle. Guess we’ll have to wait for Saturday. Weird bit of symmetry that CM Punk was on both the first and last three-hour episode of Raw. Something you never could have predicted a few years ago.

Hoping that when they move to Netflix they can stop this awful attempt at censoring the, “Holy Shit!” chants. They never time it right, it just sounds like your signal is broken. If you must keep your finger on the censor button, save it for the really bad chants, like, “You Deserve It!”

When’s Cena coming back? I see no better time than next week. He should open the show.

“We have caught…and compromised to a permanent end…the third hour of Raw!”

Pop of the century. Babies thrown in the air. We made it!

IMG_9720.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I’m starting to fear we might not see it happen until Wrestlemania, with Rock/Roman failing to take place until ‘Mania 2026. I hope I’m wrong, though.

We're definitely getting Rock v Cody at Mania this year, right? They called that shot straight after Mania this year. 

14 minutes ago, Duke said:

We're definitely getting Rock v Cody at Mania this year, right? They called that shot straight after Mania this year. 

I was hoping Rock/Cody at the Rumble with Roman interfering to set up Rock/Roman for Mania.

Do we really need to wait another year for that match?

I think Cody may be parked entirely, and they just do Rock/Roman.

They kept Cody close throughout the Mania build as fan reaction to him potentially being shunted out the picture was so bad, but I suspect now they'll feel more comfortable moving him away to do something with Orton or even someone like Punk.

The Rock is 52 and entirely synthetic, why take the risk he'll still be able to do this in two years time; if Rock/Roman is the dream, just do it whilst you can. I doubt they'd have the same issue with 'Cody Crybabies' now.

36 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'd be shocked if they didn't go with Cody/Rock AND Roman/Rock. That's two big money matches instead of one. They had a great reaction around the Mania time and it wouldn't take long to reignite that. They're leaving money on the table if they don't and none of the guys involved seem like the type to do that.

They could well do both, but I'm not sure there's any sense doing Cody first. You've got a 52 year old megastar built by science and a generational talent in Roman Reigns with both a history of serious health issues and a desire to not work very much, if that's THE match you want to define the era, you do that first.

If Rock's body holds up and if Cody is still the blue-eyed boy after that, do it then. But the idea of keeping Roman and Rock on the slow cooker whilst you do Rock/Cody makes no sense to me.

3 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They could well do both, but I'm not sure there's any sense doing Cody first. You've got a 52 year old megastar built by science and a generational talent in Roman Reigns with both a history of serious health issues and a desire to not work very much, if that's THE match you want to define the era, you do that first.

If Rock's body holds up and if Cody is still the blue-eyed boy after that, do it then. But the idea of keeping Roman and Rock on the slow cooker whilst you do Rock/Cody makes no sense to me.

Yeah the only real reason for perhaps not doing it is the question of whether the Rock could cope with two high profile matches I'd say. Ideally I'd probably go with Cody/Rock at the Rumble and then Rock/Roman at Mania, as I don't think waiting a year in between them is a good idea.