The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, air_raid said:

On the one hand, they could do with investing time and energy in a new top heel. Drews contract is up, Romans slowing down to virtually nothing with each passing year, Raw will look very babyface heavy if Cody and Punk (when he comes back) stay on the show.

On the other hand….. no.

I have to imagine they feel he's going to stay given all the Punk-baiting and the renewed focus, wouldn't be shocked if he's already signed. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, mim731 said:

I have to imagine they feel he's going to stay given all the Punk-baiting and the renewed focus, wouldn't be shocked if he's already signed. 

The Punk-baiting has been so good that for a few minutes last Saturday I actually wondered if his prognosis wasn’t as bad as reported and that he’d actually be back for Mania to fight McIntyre. Then I remembered that would leave Seth scratching his arse.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

The Punk-baiting has been so good that for a few minutes last Saturday I actually wondered if his prognosis wasn’t as bad as reported and that he’d actually be back for Mania to fight McIntyre. Then I remembered that would leave Seth scratching his arse.

Nah, Seth is costing Cody the WWE title. Big role.

A lot of people I know think this is Drew's best work. I think heel candour Drew, works wonders, rather than "cool" tiger king quoting 6'5 baby face, drew. Always felt really inauthentic and clunky to me, and I don't know why. 

It's not "constantly cries" passionate liv Morgan, but it wasn't great either. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SwayWays said:

A lot of people I know think this is Drew's best work. I think heel candour Drew, works wonders, rather than "cool" tiger king quoting 6'5 baby face, drew. Always felt really inauthentic and clunky to me, and I don't know why. 

People come across their most authentic in character when they are being truest to their authentic self. So if Drew comes across the most believable when he's a prick... well, I guess you know why.

He's definitely found some truth, and believability in what he's saying, even if it's just channeling his gripes over being Mr thunder dome era champion. Like all the best villains, you can understand or at least appreciate his resentment. 

Edited by SwayWays

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, air_raid said:

On the one hand, they could do with investing time and energy in a new top heel. Drews contract is up, Romans slowing down to virtually nothing with each passing year, Raw will look very babyface heavy if Cody and Punk (when he comes back) stay on the show.

On the other hand….. no.

It's like 1990 all over again. Except back then, you'd had your run and if they had nothing fresh, they were fucked. Now, they just put lipstick on the pig and people go "Ooh, I like that shade of lipstick, can't wait to see what this pig does next".

Was thinking this about Drew McIntyre yesterday so the above posts are pretty timely. From what I've picked up on podcasts, Drew has lost every big match for a couple of years. Lost to Roman, to Gunther and to Rollins, pretty comprehensively, as a face and a newly turned heel. Not dunking on the guy because I like him a lot, but in any other time before the merry-go-round era of the last decade, he's absolutely done. No-one even cares about six weeks ago now.

Supes had a good post about AEW being great news because it offers fresh opportunities and that's true of plenty, like Cody, Jade, Joe and Christian but not of most NXT bores. While it is true and is best for a lot of guys, I'm not sure how necessary it is. People just seem so willing to accept The Miz or Rey Mysterio having their 87th go around the horn. Different times.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's like 1990 all over again. Except back then, you'd had your run and if they had nothing fresh, they were fucked. Now, they just put lipstick on the pig and people go "Ooh, I like that shade of lipstick, can't wait to see what this pig does next".

Puts me most in mind of Honky in 1988, being told he'll get repackaged after he loses to Randy Savage on The Main Event. He considered that once he's been pinned on the biggest TV audience of all time, he's done and that the exit sign would be blinking brightly at him. That's not after considerable time with his value being eroded, that's after one loss. Can you imagine? I mean, they didn't completely job him out but he sure spent a year losing to Warrior, Bret and Superfly on the road only beating scrubs like Red Rooster before Rhythm & Blues gave him another year of going nowhere before he decided to pack it in.

16 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

People just seem so willing to accept The Miz or Rey Mysterio having their 87th go around the horn. Different times.

You know who the best one of all time (by which I mean, the Gratitude Era) was?

2011 : Ziggler briefly feuds with Edge, gets a three minute title reign on an oddly-stipped retrospective Dusty finish, gets immediately slapped back down to midcard.

2012 : Ziggler feuds with Punk for the WWE title, his fans go mental that FINALLY they're taking Ziggler seriously. Shortly after, gets slapped back down to midcard.

2013 : Ziggler wins the Big Gold, loses it back to Del Rio in a double turn. His fans go mental that FINALLY Ziggler's an established main eventer. Shortly after, gets slapped back down to midcard.

2014 : Ziggler wins main event of Survivors that had both champ Rollins and John Cena in it. His fans go mental that FINALLY they're taking Ziggler seriously. Shortly after, gets slapped back down to midcard.

2016 : After a draft, Ziggler is positioned as a genuine threat to WWE Champ Ambrose. His fans go mental that FINALLY they're taking Ziggler seriously. Shortly after, gets slapped back down to midcard.

2017 into 18 : Ziggler decides he's too good for the US title, "quits WWE" and comes back as though he's a big deal in the Rumble and is inserted back in the WWE title picture again. His fans go mental that FINALLY they're taking Ziggler seriously. Shortly after, gets slapped back down to midcard.

There were probably more instances, that's just the ones I remember.

• Paid Members

@air_raid Ziggler returned again in 2019 targeting Kofi Kingston* for the WWE Championship, doing the 'it should've been me!' deal. Feuded with Kofi for about 3 months iirc in which he lost all big matches then got slapped back down to midcard.

*not sure if they'd ever wrestled before this...

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

People just seem so willing to accept The Miz or Rey Mysterio having their 87th go around the horn. Different times.

Outside of the rare big match I haven't watched WWE for years so I'm always amazed/confused when I see people getting excited about the product and being like "looks like we're getting Orton vs McIntyre", "can't wait for Owens vs Reigns", "Sheamus is having a great run" or "great build to Rollins vs Balor!" and it sounds identical to what I remember watching from what felt like forever ago. Looking from the outside in it seems like the same few blokes just rotating around each other for years and years now.

I've always felt like outside of a few guys rosters should change pretty drastically every 5 years or so. I suppose it's a symptom of bringing guys in through a development system at a young age so that they will basically end up spending a decade plus in WWE now and that's considered normal and the shows start feeling pretty stagnant as a result. Seth Rollins has been stinking up WWE for almost 12 years and may still have another 10 left in him. Imagine that! A wrestler having a run longer than 5 years in a company should be the exception not the norm in my book. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Ziggler returned again in 2019 targeting Kofi Kingston* for the WWE Championship, doing the 'it should've been me!' deal. Feuded with Kofi for about 3 months iirc in which he lost all big matches then got slapped back down to midcard.

That's perfect, isn't it? Nothing screams "Save us, Brock!!!!" like Kofi vs Ziggler for the big belt.

8 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

*not sure if they'd ever wrestled before this...

Happy Steve Austin GIF by USA Network

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

That's perfect, isn't it? Nothing screams "Save us, Brock!!!!" like Kofi vs Ziggler for the big belt.

Even moreso when you consider the other big title feud at the time was Seth and Becky vs Corbin and Lacey Evans...

I think this was roughly the same time WWE was doing the weird '2 out of 3 falls' stuff too. WWE was the fucking pits in 2019, I don't think AEW could've picked a better time to come along.

4 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Even moreso when you consider the other big title feud at the time was Seth and Becky vs Corbin and Lacey Evans...

I think this was roughly the same time WWE was doing the weird '2 out of 3 falls' stuff too. WWE was the fucking pits in 2019, I don't think AEW could've picked a better time to come along.

Don't forget the wild card era or whatever that was. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I've always felt like outside of a few guys rosters should change pretty drastically every 5 years or so.

This feels about right. Hogan era of 89 was wildly different to when he ascended in 84. Likewise, by 94 there are very few of the class of 89 left apart from Bret and Shawn who had undergone tremendous growth/change. 1999 might as well be 15 years different in comparison, 2004 feels different again. It's only thereafter where you find more and more of the same guys are still there at five year intervals, and to complete the circular discussion back to the benefit of having AEW and another viable "place to work" - 04-09 being the first full five year markers between which, there was no serious competition.