VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I had a mate who was obsessed with it, and would put it on whenever we went around. I've conservatively seen it about 25 times. I loathe it, but Dyer is the bright spot. The worst bit is obviously the national anthem scene. 

Edited by gmoney

13 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I had a mate who was obsessed with it, and would put it on whenever we went around. I've conservatively seen it about 25 times. I loathe it, but Dyer is the bright spot. The worst bit is obviously the national anthem scene. 

I wasn't obsessed with it, but we would put it on a lot when stoned.

Me and a mate still use the phrase "Who the hell you been ringing in Taiwan boy?" to each other.

45 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I saw the film a few times as I was clubber and in college/Uni in the late 90's. I remember thinking it was fun at the time but I couldn't remember much.

I could barely even make it through the trailer after seeing it mentioned here, I was cringing so much. Fucking hell at that national anthem scene.  @SuperBacon you are a cracking poster but " it hasn't aged terribly" vs the below evidence. Hmm. 

• Paid Members

I was in the mood for something low-brow and amusing, and so gave this a try.

undefined

How could you not love that artwork?

Unfortunately, that's the only good point. It's low budget, but so are other far better films. This is mostly people sat around talking about nothing in particular until one of them decides to go into the house, where they get murdered by the local alternative to Michael Myers. There's not even much humour to make up for it.

Avoid.

Artwork reminds me of point horror / fear street book covers from back in the day.

And yeah i never got Human Traffic despite being very much of that world. Raving is like masturbation, great fun but i'm not that fussed about watching other people do it nor witter on about how cool they are for doing it.

I genuinely was hoping something bad would befall Danny Dyer's character as at least it would give the film a point (albeit a trite "drugs are bad" point). Instead they smirk and say something about "when you've done too much it's time to chill out" and then the film just carries on thinking it's the coolest fucking thing in the world.

There's a couple amusing observations (the Howard Marks bit, the comedown bit) but yeah it's just all so bloody self satisfied. Also far too many normal people for underground dance music

Edited by organizedkaos

To say something more positive - I would thoroughly recommend Eden (the Mia Hansen-Løve one not the human trafficing one) which slaps my Rave/Masturbation analogy in the face for being a dickhead

Felt it really captures rave/club culture and it's based on the writer/director's brothers actual experiences in the Paris music scene in the 90s. Which means you get some nice hopefully true moments like a pair of teenagers turning up at a house party with their first pressed record and being desperate to put it on. They do, and you watch a house party full of people start to listen to "Da Funk" for the first time (Daft Punk are sort of Jay and Silent Bob in the film)

It also gets into the darker side of that scene pretty well. The whole film basically comes up them comes down

Edited by organizedkaos