Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Good and fair points. In my opinion anything like this for Britwres needs to be led by women. Ultimately itā€™s up to the promoters to decide what threshold there is. Usually targeting a loss of money by a campaign of information to the consumers is the way to go but this being wrestling, profit isnā€™t always an attainable goal for promoters.Ā 

Using a targeting campaign could also lead to a venue stonewalling any future promotions wanting to run shows there. Ā 
Ā 

To a lot of people ā€œwrestling is wrestlingā€ and whereas a new ā€˜cleanā€™ promotion may want to run a venue that previously intended to have an abuser on the show but got blackballed by such a campaign, that venueā€™s owners may then associate wrestling with dodgy characters and subsequently pull the shutters down on any shows wanting to run there.

I donā€™t know what the answer is but I wish someone could come up with one soon.

15 minutes ago, AntiDote said:

Using a targeting campaign could also lead to a venue stonewalling any future promotions wanting to run shows there. Ā 

All the more reason for promoters to get and keep their house in order.Ā 

46 minutes ago, AntiDote said:

Possibly but how much weight would it carry if there haven been no convictions/prosecutions?

I suggest you read the article about the Casualties that was conveniently linked to in my original post. Jorge Herrera hasn't been prosecuted or convicted, yet action was taken by multiple venues as a result of the grass-roots activism. Is the government going to take action? It's hard to imagine a group of MPs deciding to ban El Ligero from wrestling isn't it? Are promotions going to take action? Some have and should be applauded for that, but others are going to take no action and hide their inaction behind a DBS check fig-leaf. So who else is left? I don't see writing a letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen changing much, so it's up to the wrestlers and/or fans to make their voices heard.

10 minutes ago, Tamura said:

I suggest you read the article about the Casualties that was conveniently linked to in my original post. Jorge Herrera hasn't been prosecuted or convicted, yet action was taken by multiple venues as a result of the grass-roots activism. Is the government going to take action? It's hard to imagine a group of MPs deciding to ban El Ligero from wrestling isn't it? Are promotions going to take action? Some have and should be applauded for that, but others are going to take no action and hide their inaction behind a DBS check fig-leaf. So who else is left? I don't see writing a letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen changing much, so it's up to the wrestlers and/or fans to make their voices heard.

I take on what you say, I honestly do. I just think music performers (and the industry itself) are generally taken more seriously than wrestlers. Thereā€™s just more legitimacy about it that makes me feel such a campaign wouldnā€™t be effective in the long term.
Ā 

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, perhaps your suggestion is the way but I'm just not feeling it.

Edited by AntiDote

1 hour ago, AntiDote said:

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, perhaps your suggestion is the way but I'm just not feeling it.

What I'm saying isn't a finished propsal, it isn't even a first draft. But what I do know is that if the government and the promotions aren't going to take action, simply sitting around complaining about it isn't going to change anything.

Edited by Tamura

31 minutes ago, Tamura said:

What I'm not saying it's a finished propsal, it isn't even a first draft. But what I do know is that if the government and the promotions aren't going to take action, simply sitting around complaining about it isn't going to change anything.

Absolutely šŸ‘šŸ»

In other news, a few weeks after ROH Champion Bandido issued an apology for having Travis Banks on his show in Mexico, he posts a picture of him at his training school.

He was known as a ego tistical brown nose before the allegations, this kind of confirms it.

Ā 

sigh.

Ā 

EDIT: It appears banks new trainee gf actually confirmed he's been training students over there for a month, she'sĀ  bright 'un with a great future no doubt....

Edited by theringmaster

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, theringmaster said:

In other news, a few weeks after ROH Champion Bandido issued an apology for having Travis Banks on his show in Mexico, he posts a picture of him at his training school.

He was known as a ego tistical brown nose before the allegations, this kind of confirms it.

Ā 

sigh.

Ā 

EDIT: It appears banks new trainee gf actually confirmed he's been training students over there for a month, she'sĀ  bright 'un with a great future no doubt....

So he got called out for abusing his position of trust as a trainer by entering a (by all accounts, manipulative) relationship with a trainee. So, instead of learning and thinking, ā€œThat was probably a bad thingā€ heā€™s instead jetted off to another country and done the exact same thing?

47 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

So he got called out for abusing his position of trust as a trainer by entering a (by all accounts, manipulative) relationship with a trainee. So, instead of learning and thinking, ā€œThat was probably a bad thingā€ heā€™s instead jetted off to another country and done the exact same thing?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

You have to give him credit for publicly demonstrating how to be a complete f***wit.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, AntiDote said:

You have to give him credit for publicly demonstrating how to be a complete f***wit.

I think the guy needs help if his response to being exposed for being a predator and conducting an inappropriate relationship is to just move to another country and repeat the exact same behaviour.

Ā