Mad Max: Fury Road

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I saw it at the BFI IMAX and when I came out my legs were shaking for about half an hour I was buzzing so much. Never experienced that from a film before and doubt I will again.

This and Blade Runner 2049 are two films I could and should easily have gone and seen in IMAX, didn't, and have regretted it enormously ever since.

• Moderators

The Tina Turner song is great though, if just for the fact that hearing it on the radio 30 years out of context is hilarious when she's belting out a pop anthem about 'life beyond the thunder dome' as if that should mean anything to anyone.

I heard it on the radio not too long ago and just thought that the lyrics must be so nonsensical and meaningless to anyone paying attention to them.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

They're all enjoyable movies. It's always interesting to see how much Max becomes more and more a passenger. It's his name on the poster, but it's rarely his movie. He's always just swept along in it all and a bit part player in the bigger picture. Some of the set pieces in Fury Road were spectacular, and hardly anybody was doing things like that with practical effects. 

I think Fury Road is the best action movie ever made and my favourite film of the last decade. I think it would make my all time top ten. I hardly ever go to the cinema but really glad I made the effort for it. Still holds up on the small screen and had stood up to multiple viewings too. I fucking loves it.

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members
22 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Can't say I'm interested by a Furiosa film starring someone else...but that's also what people said about a Mad Max film without Gibson. But still, why the fuck didn't they just go with Theron? 

That someone else is arguably the best actor on the planet right now though, in fairness.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Can't say I'm interested by a Furiosa film starring someone else...but that's also what people said about a Mad Max film without Gibson. But still, why the fuck didn't they just go with Theron? 

Too old, apparently. They're telling her story from before she met Max. Seems fair enough. I'd rather this than bullshit CGI de-ageing.

• Paid Members

Didn't Theron have a nightmare of a time on Fury Road so she wouldn't be an option? It's possible I'm imagining it but I have a vague memory of it.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, DEF said:

Didn't Theron have a nightmare of a time on Fury Road so she wouldn't be an option? It's possible I'm imagining it but I have a vague memory of it.

I think the worst part for her was having to work with Tom Hardy who she hated.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think the worst part for her was having to work with Tom Hardy who she hated.

Ahh right that'll be it. It is a shame if she's up for it. But I guess if Miller has a proper vision for a prequel then it's the way it has to go.