Dream matches, but not as you’d like them.

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Bit of a twist on the @GeronimoJacksBeard thread. ‘Dream’ matches that actually happened, but maybe one guy was just a rookie or whatever. I’m guessing WCW will have thrown a bunch of these on random Nitros and Thunders in the late 90s. So that might be a good source of ideas. Post the videos where possible.

I’ll kick it off with this;

Bret Hart vs The Rock. But not quite Bret Hart vs The Rock. It’s Rocky Maivia in the ‘Die Rocky Die’ days. Wasn’t what it could’ve been on a big PPV 18 months later if circumstances were different but it’s pretty cool that it happened at all.

Go. 

• Paid Members

Sting worked Mean Mark as well

hqdefault.jpg

This thread reminds me of in early 1996, after the BIllionaire Ted skits, WCW decided to dig into their vault and play "Where the Big Boys Play" vignettes of current WCW wrestlers twatting WWF guys. Hogan vs Vader, Sullivan vs Cactus Jack, Marc Mero got a good hiding if I recall. It was a smart response.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell that’s really random.

Here’s another one, Curt Hennig vs Chris Jericho on Nitro in 1997;

Nothing match really but worth a look all the same. It’s most notable for Hennig pretty much saving Jericho from a potential broken neck off a cocked up Lionsault. 

A9466AC4-164B-4F41-937A-AB707B2B5315.gif

It's funny, I was actually thinking of this in a way when I was racking my brains thinking of potential matches in the other "dream matches" topic. Like, did that happen? Yeah, it did, but it was a random episode of Raw, not built up, the two guys weren't in THE spots that would have made it such a dream match.

One for me is AJ Styles vs. Rey Mysterio. Rey beat him for the US Championship, he says as he looks up the match to get the details right. Always imagined it as some big PPV match, to me it's something that could easily be a featured bout at Wrestlemania. But they had the match on Raw, they didn't really go ALL OUT, and ultimately the match was secondary to an Orton/AJ feud, and the finish was super rushed as it was at the time when WWE weren't allowed any overrun at all from USA Network, so it all felt like a non-event.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Sting vs Kane on an episode of WCW Saturday Night back in 1993.  Sorry, Sting vs Bruiser Mastino

Why was Kane Bruiser Mastino, when Mike Hallick was doing the name for years at the same time? Always confused me. 

• Paid Members
Just now, PowerButchi said:

Why was Kane Bruiser Mastino, when Mike Hallick was doing the name for years at the same time? Always confused me. 

"Just call him Mr JL" logic I imagine. Jerry Lynn didnt have a name 30 seconds before his first WCW appearance so he said "just call him Mr JL" and he went through the curtain. They were probably stuck for a name and just went "give him Hallick's gimmick."

He refers to it in his Broken Skull Sessions interview

In another time and place, had things gone somewhat differently of course, this could have been something.

Had this occurred once Jeff hit puberty could have been interesting too

That match will lead you to Jeff vs 123 Kid too, which i din't know happened. Doesn't really count and i'm sure they met a few times later on. More of a hidden gem though, fun little match. Jeff working heel, Gorilla and Lawler on commentary.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Jushin Liger vs Brad Armstrong. Its proper gravy. 

Always meant to get around to watching that and never did. Thought it was just a one-off match in 92 but just noticed there’s a couple of their matches on YouTube. 

Saturday Night, July 1992;

Worldwide, May 1996;

Speaking of Brad Armstrong, his 2/3 Falls match with Great Muta from 92...