Dream matches, but not as you’d like them.

wandshogun09

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Always meant to get around to watching that and never did. Thought it was just a one-off match in 92 but just noticed there’s a couple of their matches on YouTube. 

Saturday Night, July 1992;

Worldwide, May 1996;

Speaking of Brad Armstrong, his 2/3 Falls match with Great Muta from 92...

Highlight being BA winning clean with a Russian legsweep. Come on Brad!!!!! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Jericho's heading for a wheelchair there. What an absolute pro Hennig is.

I've watched that a clip a thousand times, and I still can't get my head around how quick Hennig's thought process has to be - to recognise there's something wrong, figure out how to prevent it, and act on it, all in a second or two.

1 hour ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

One for me is AJ Styles vs. Rey Mysterio.

Not only that, but it happened in Five Star Wrestling too!

• Paid Members

Look at this for a lineup. Hulk Hogan & Bret Hart vs Ultimate Warrior & Sting from a 1998 episode of Nitro...

That’s a proper Hasbro fed match from when you were 7.

Actually, the Hogan vs Bret match from Nitro around that same timeframe is probably the Daddy of this thread. First time ever televised match between the two and it was thrown away on Nitro in a clusterfucky, non-finish having mess that led nowhere after. 

• Paid Members

Speaking of Terry Funk, they never actually had a ‘match’ but that brawl he had with Austin in the early days of Shotgun Saturday Night made me wish they had a proper match in 97.

Bret Hart vs Ken Shamrock happened on Raw just a couple of weeks before the Montreal Screwjob as well...

I could see them wrestling on a PPV or two in 98 if Bret had stayed. Maybe instead of the Shamrock vs Owen stuff. Bret always liked Ken and it seemed a natural fit to pair them up given the backstory of their submission styles and their face off at the end of Bret’s match with Austin at WrestleMania 13. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, pitseleh said:

Terry Funk facing a very young Eddie Guerrero in 1989 always comes to mind. 

It's an absolute belter of a match, too, I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I had remembered it as a squash, and it basically is, but Terry is generous enough to give Eddie some really nice flashy spots, so he still comes out of it looking like one to watch. Some of the spots are real Guerrero brother signatures, so I wonder to what extent it was Funk wanting to help the kid out because he liked the family.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:50 PM, Merzbow said:

CM Punk vs Eddie Guerrero kind of happened, it was a triple threat in IWA-Mid South with an unmasked Rey Jr.

The pair could have has an excellent fued, you would have had Eddie's past for Punk to play off.

Kind of happened? They had a singles match the night after, at IWA Mid-South's Morris Mayhem 2002, I know I've seen it.

One match that really stands out to me is Chris Benoit versus Toshiaki Kawada. There was a blink-and-you-missed-it clip of the match on Dark Side of the Ring (can't remember if the version I have is in full, or whether it's highlights and/or joined in progress), it's from 1986 in Stampede and really early in both of their careers, Kawada was wrestling as Black Mephisto. 

Edited by Tamura