Rush’s Neil Peart RIP

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Neil Peart has died from brain cancer at 67. He had apparently been suffering from it for the last three years.

I’m kind of gutted about this one. Saw Rush live in 2010. Even in his late 50s, Peart was phenomenal with his 360 degree drums. You only have to listen to ‘2112’ to hear his immense skill. RIP to one of the great drummers.

He’s certainly worthy of his own thread.

He was best known for his appearances on Trailer Park Boys and he could drum a bit.  

Sae a documentary on Rush and he went off to learn a Jazz style of drumming, loved how his band mates couldn’t really notice a difference but it gave him a whole new perspective. Real interesting stuff. 

Damn. They were my favourite band as a teenager. I saw them live in 2003 and it was like a religious experience. I missed the last train home and had to walk 5 miles at 1am but I didn't care, it felt like I floated back and I really felt a huge part of my life was completed because I'd seen them live and I could never lose that. An amazing drummer and lyricist. RIP. 😭

• Paid Members

When I was in college a guy in the year above me had a Rush bootleg or live album, and there's a massive drum solo partway through which has all kinds of effects and triggers on the kit. It's really special. I've never been able to find it again. I knew some of their stuff, but really should listen to more. It's a huge loss. 

Absolutely devastated by this news. Neil was the man. Got to see Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour and I will be forever grateful that I did given they split not long after that. Me and my dad were only discussing the other night about the possibility of him coming out of retirement and them doing a few more shows. Fuck, how far off where we?! 

• Paid Members

I'd be lying if I said Rush are a band I've ever been massively into, but as a fan of rock music in general you've got to love and respect Peart for the incredible drummer he was.

I did fall in love with with this particular song when it came out though, and this live version is a great performance from Peart and also features by far the best/most appropriate use of pyrotechnics I've ever seen in live music:

https://youtu.be/9OlU0JbOALU