UFC 245: Usman vs Covington - Dec 14 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

For a very long show, the card really delivered. Impressive performances early on from Cooper, Aldana, Brown and especially Geoff Neal, meant that the prelims were a breeze. Geoff Neal is legitimately on his way. He's knocked it out of the park every time out. Beating Perry is a good name to have on your record, but not unique. Perry is going to suffer double digit losses by the time he is done. But beating him like that? Very few people will probably ever do that to Perry, just blowing him away like that. 

Faber was competitive for the first round, but it felt like that was probably only because Yan was stalking his prey. Once Yan let go, it was only ever heading one way for the California Man. By the end he was brutalised. Faber can definitely still hang with some current guys, he's in great shape and is still incredibly fast for someone as old in a light weight class, but as was the case when he first retired, I can't see how he beats the tippity top of the division any longer. 

I wouldn't complain about the Aldo/Moraes decision. It was a very close fight and one that I can see how Moraes got the nod, even though I gave it to Aldo. To me, Aldo clearly won the second, was ahead in the third until the last 90 seconds/two minutes. In between the opening headkicks and the great throw at the end of the first, I thought Aldo was doing good work. Unfortunately for Aldo, the headkicks and throw in the first round were the biggest moments of the round and in the third round Moraes shined at the back end of it which is bound to help leave a good impression in the judges eyes. 

Aldo impressed me with his performance at the weight, but Rogan was absolutely off his trolley if he thinks Aldo didn't look depleted. He looked like Gilbert Melendez or Anthony Pettis at 145 - his physical appearance was that of a shell of himself, even if the performance wasn't. 

Nunes Vs GDR was more entertaining and competitive than I expected, but I felt it was done as a contest by the end of the third. I don't know what you do with Nunes now as she's cleared out everybody, and the two divisions she fights at aren't exactly talent stacked. Fair play to De Randamie for giving Nunes a hell of a lot to handle here and making it more competitive that it was expected.

I was absolutely gutted for Holloway. I really didn't want him to lose the title, and I'm not overly fussed on Volkanovski, despite him clearly being an incredible fighter. This was an open and shut win though. Max only got the fifth round for me, I don't even think it was close. An entertaining fight for sure, but it wasn't one that I felt unsure about what was going to come out of Buffer's mouth at the end.

Volkanovski was always in with a very good chance of winning this fight. I never expected he'd make it look as easy to take a decision over Max though. If you told me he would win by catching Max early, or he would impose his wrestling game to a decision, or just edge a close fight, then I could have bought any of that. This was different though. He outstruck Max consistently over the course of five rounds. A fantastic performance. I don't want to see an immediate rematch as I don't like the idea of them unless there was some controversy, but I can understand giving him one if Holloway pushes for it. I'd prefer both to take a different fight in the meantime, as they'll surely meet again somehow, somewhere. 

The main event was delightful. If you'd have told me beforehand that this would be the best fight on the card then I'd have told you that you have a drug problem. It was glorious though. Colby won the first and Usman the third. Other than that, I had no idea how to score rounds two and four. I didn't know what to expect if it had hit the cards. Then Usman just took Colby's soul at the end with all those flush shots to Covington's already knackered face. Fair play to Colby, we all knew he was good, and now we know he's just as tough as he is good. Usman though put down the marker that he's the man, and if anyone wants the belt from him they are going to have to pry it from his cold, dead hands. Usman Vs Jorge next? Or is Jorge waiting for the McGregor payday?

• Paid Members

I’ve got a feeling Jorge isn’t going to fancy that Usman fight. Not that I expect him to duck it but I reckon he’ll campaign for the McGregor fight as his first choice. That’s a much better fight for him style-wise, exposure-wise and financially. Plus McGregor is fighting Cerrone at 170 anyway so maybe McGregor is thinking the same. I get the feeling that, despite their bravado, deep down they both know they’re better off facing each other than the more difficult fights that await them in their respective divisions - the champs, Usman and Khabib. 

All depends what happens. Dana’s on about doing Khabib vs McGregor 2 if Khabib beats Ferguson and McGregor bests Cowboy. Lot of ifs though. And Khabib isn’t playing ball and, at least for now, is flat out refusing to accept that Conor would deserve the shot. 

There’s a bunch of ways it could go. If Usman doesn’t end up fighting Masvidal then maybe they do Usman vs Leon Edwards 2. Usman already said prior to this show that Edwards is the most deserving contender. Maybe we get Usman vs Edwards 2, Masvidal vs McGregor and the Khabib/Ferguson winner defending against Justin Gaethje. So many different possibilities in that 155-170 weight range. Then there’s the Diaz brothers. Does Nate push for the Masvidal rematch? Does big bro Nick come back? Is GSP vs Khabib on the cards for 2020? So much going on. For now I’ll just be happy if we actually, finally get to see Khabib vs Ferguson. 

15 hours ago, Tamura said:

He was even worse at the end of Holloway/Volkanovski. After DC had just said he had no idea who won the fight, Rogan leaps in with "I think he did enough, the question is whether or not the judges score it correctly". Obviously "score it correctly" has to be translated as "agree with Joe Rogan"...

Rogan was right about Holloway vs. Volkanovski though. It was DC that wasn't seeing it right, Cormier is mates with Holloway and couldn't see (or maybe admit out loud) that he lost that fight. Volkanovski put on a masterclass and picked Max apart, you've got this long reigning champion who normally pressures with high volume striking, struggling to land with consistency while getting his legs chewed up for 25 minutes. It was fascinating to watch someone totally shut down Holloway like that.

3 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Rogan was right about Holloway vs. Volkanovski though. It was DC that wasn't seeing it right, Cormier is mates with Holloway and couldn't see (or maybe admit out loud) that he lost that fight. Volkanovski put on a masterclass and picked Max apart, you've got this long reigning champion who normally pressures with high volume striking, struggling to land with consistency while getting his legs chewed up for 25 minutes. It was fascinating to watch someone totally shut down Holloway like that.

It's not a case of whether he was right or wrong on this occasion though. It's the sheer arrogance of the man appointing himself as the sole arbiter of who won a fight, saying if the judges don't agree it's because they got it wrong. Judges are human and make mistakes but also judge things differently from each other, which is why we don't see three identical scorecards every time a fight does go to the judges. But if judges are human and aren't always right, then the same applies to Joe Rogan.

• Paid Members

what a fucking show it was, couple of decent prelims then an epic main card, 3 title fights going the lonh but they all delivered in their own way.

Covington/Usman was incredible FOTY candidate. I had Colby 3-1 going into the 5th, his performancd in the 4th round after realising his jaw was broken was just mindblowing. The great thing about it is, this wasnt a rivalry anyone was really into but a great fight probably mean this'll end up being the start of a legendary trilogy.

Aldo did enough to make me wanna see him at 135lb again and looked good but i had Moraes winning 29-28, thought Rogan was at his worst here, i think he was that shocked that Aldo looked good that he must got a boner for him and discredited alot of what Moraes was doing. The blinkers were on.

Thought Volkanovski just out-hustled Holloway. I had it a shutout, Volkanovksi just masterfully picked his shots and stayed out of Holloways range despite being the much shorter man. Amazing performance, thats gonna be a tough man to beat.

Petr Yan is scary as fuck. The evil glee plastered across his face as he took Faber apart was some cold shit. Faber didnt need to return for that.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Aldo did enough to make me wanna see him at 135lb again and looked good but i had Moraes winning 29-28, thought Rogan was at his worst here, i think he was that shocked that Aldo looked good that he must got a boner for him and discredited alot of what Moraes was doing. The blinkers were on.

The mad thing is it seems like the UFC are just going to act like Aldo won. Like it was some terrible robbery rather than the close fight it actually was. The truth is, 29-28 either way would’ve been a completely fair scorecard to have. I had Moraes edging it but wouldn’t have had a problem with Aldo getting the nod. Yet it seems like they’re going to go ahead and treat it as if Aldo won. I get why Cejudo is singing that tune. A title fight with Aldo is more appealing for him than a title fight with a dangerous but less sellable opponent like Petr Yan. But Dana backed him up at the press conference as well, saying they might do Cejudo vs Aldo. It’s bollocks. What’s the point even having contender fights if we’re just going to ignore the official decision? 

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing Aldo vs Moraes 2 as a headliner in Brazil or something. Settle it over 5 rounds. And I’d have Cejudo defend the Flyweight strap next against Benavidez while Aldo/Moraes works itself out. In January it’ll be a whole year since the Flyweight belt was last defended, which is ridiculous. And maybe do Yan vs Sterling or something. I mean, Cejudo vs Aldo could be a fantastic fight. I’d love to see it down the line. But I’m not down with just pretending he got the win on Saturday night. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, do it again over 5. Moraes said straight after he'd go for the rematch.

I never get to pissed off at matchmaking, for example the UFC does Conor/Khabib 2 (wins depending) over a Khabib/Gaethje fight i could understand it, theres no way they can have a guy lose, then have the loser leapfrog the guy whos just beaten him, that cant happen.

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh, do it again over 5. Moraes said straight after he'd go for the rematch.

I never get to pissed off at matchmaking, for example the UFC does Conor/Khabib 2 (wins depending) over a Khabib/Gaethje fight i could understand it, theres no way they can have a guy lose, then have the loser leapfrog the guy whos just beaten him, that cant happen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgHnIxKP9nBWqGfyT9iYt

Shitposting aside, according to MMAdecisions 9 media members scored the fight to Aldo and 9 media members scored the fight to Moraes. It really came down to what you liked. And aye, Rogan was a nuisance on commentary. 

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

How the hell did you remember that 😂

How could one forget such legends as Kevin Jordan and Gilbert Aldana? As I said, it was a golden era for the UFC heavyweight division.

Seriously though, I've been reading up a bit on that era recently. Shits and giggles. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

How could one forget such legends as Kevin Jordan and Gilbert Aldana? As I said, it was a golden era for the UFC heavyweight division.

Seriously though, I've been reading up a bit on that era recently. Shits and giggles. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, I remember that time fondly, I don't remember Eilers leapfrogging Buentello, I was probably fuming at the time though, big Buentello fan.