UFC 245: Usman vs Covington - Dec 14 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The build up for this show hasn't been what you would normally expect from the UFC. You can tell they are very much going off the fact that every fight on the main card could be a main event and that is a huge selling point.

I'm also surprised that we haven't yet had a press conference for connor's comeback fight you would have thought they would be so eager to get that done

Fuck me sideways.

You know whenever there's a scary weight cut, and everyone bangs on about how action needs to be taken before someone takes it too far and ends up doing some serious damage to themselves? I've never seen a bigger red flag than this. He genuinely looks skeletal.

20 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

7E87400C-18A1-4A23-8F64-AF58E39A1A68.jpeg

Say what you will about Colby, but I was at that fan Q&A, and the guy has an aura about him. He's easily the biggest star on the card. Swaggering around with his belt, throwing Trump hats into the crowd (I never got one, but I'll likely buy one later), looking like "someone."

He's still reading that fucking book though it seems. Been at it for months now.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Is he? How many PPVs has he headlined and what's the buy rate on them? What are his TV ratings like on ESPN?

Fuck knows, I'm simply going on the reaction of the actual crowd and who most of them were there to see. In fact, a decent chunk of the audience proceeded to fuck off when Colby had done his segment and left. 

The dude was the centre of attention. He's obviously not on prime McGregor levels or anything, but he came swaggering out with his loud suit, his collection of Trump merch, his snowflakes book and the old belt over his shoulder as if he owned the building. His short, sharp answers were the ones that got most reaction. 

Him being able to transmit that aura to the television screen is a different matter altogether. I've never really thought much of him, but seeing him in person do his thing was something else.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Is he? How many PPVs has he headlined and what's the buy rate on them? What are his TV ratings like on ESPN?

fucking hell😄 i was listening to Luke Thomas earlier on Submission Radio and he said that as soon as someone outs Colby as a star you get a response from people questioning his numbers. Marshmallow just did exactly that.

Predictions post for tomorrow:

I'm going with Usman by decision in the main event. There's really nothing behind this in terms of his skills being massively superior to Colby, because stylistically they're almost identical, with their most impressive performances coming against pretty much the same people. It's an absolute bastard to justify, because you try and say "look at how well Usman beat Maia!" and then realise that Colby did the exact fucking same. I'm just going with this based on his last performance, and how every time he's been given a new spotlight, or challenge, he's risen massively to the occasion. Plus, he wins my vote by proxy on the account of not being a massive twat. Usman by decision.

I'll have Holloway in the co-main. I've really warmed to Volkanovski over the course of this media week, he's come off pretty well in everything I've seen from him, but I think there's a lot of questions that Max is going to ask of him that might end up being too overwhelming. How is he going to cope with the pace and variety that Max strikes with? If, like Edgar, he can't sustain his wrestling game, will he be able to adjust to a new gameplan? How is the fact it's a 5-rounder going to impact him? Holloway by 5th round TKO.

I can't find a way to choose against Nunes. No matter what improvements GDR may have made coming off the first fight. I think coming up against such an experienced striker will force Amanda into a more patient mindset, but I still can't see De Randamie avoiding being cracked. I'll say Nunes in the 4th.

I honestly just hope that Moraes vs Aldo ends quickly. I realise I could look like a right fucking berk writing off Aldo so lazily, but everything from him in the build to this has served up a massive red flag. The weird choice of dropping to 135lbs, the absolutely terrifying gauntness he's been parading around for the whole week, the fact that he's going into this fight with his cheekbones nearly sticking out of his face against a fighter in Moraes who can fucking throw. I just have a morbid feeling about this one. Moraes by 1st round KO.

Although they aren't morbid feelings, I really don't think I'd like to be Urijah Faber tomorrow evening. I completely agreed with his decision to retire. He'd gone as far as he was going to go, and his skill-set was nowhere near that of the elite guys in that division like Cejudo, Dillashaw, Moraes etc. I think that Simon victory earlier in the year has really flattered to deceive. I mean...who the fuck gets knocked out by Urijah Faber? If he was going to come back, bounce around in a few fun, winnable fights and then dash off back to Alpha Male, I'd be really chuffed for him. However it seems like he's properly intent on making a run back up the rankings. Fuck it, if he wins this, I could see them doing Cejudo/Faber for the belt next. Is anyone going to fork out for UFC 251: Cejudo vs Sterling? I don't think Yan is going to have any of that though. He's a little pitbull. And obviously, he's got the physical advantages of being the younger, quicker, maybe even stronger guy. I think Faber's just bitten off a lot more than he can chew with this one. Yan in the 2nd.

For the rest of the card, I'll go with Neal, Vieira, Heinisch and Brown.

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

fucking hell😄 i was listening to Luke Thomas earlier on Submission Radio and he said that as soon as someone outs Colby as a star you get a response from people questioning his numbers. Marshmallow just did exactly that.

That is the definition of a star. The "MMA Media" is an echo chamber of about 15 people who would cover a Bellator card in Thackerville. 

We need to define "star" before we say "fair play, he did a racism and people are talking!!!!"

36 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That is the definition of a star. The "MMA Media" is an echo chamber of about 15 people who would cover a Bellator card in Thackerville. 

We need to define "star" before we say "fair play, he did a racism and people are talking!!!!"

He is a star in MMA terms, regardless of your like or dislike of his Trump schtick. One thing I have noticed is that the majority realise it's exactly that, a gimmick. People are laughing along with him and having fun with it when he does his thing. There were two guys wearing t-shirts with "I'm a nerd virgin snowflake" on them.

When he saw them on his way out of the stage area he smiled and winked at them with a thumbs up. 

He's entertaining as all hell, and carries himself like a star. I'd actually be interested in seeing how he did in pro wrestling. He'd certainly be better than Cain Velasquez. 

Todays weigh-ins were a fucking nightmare. I felt like I was in an arena with the entirety of the Sherdog forums.

Covington has made a decent name for himself inside MMA circles. That's about it. He may command more attention from fans at this stage of his career than say Aldo, Usman and Holloway, but he isn't any more well known to the wider audience than them or many other fighters. And I don't think he ever will be. 

Of course, he somewhat plays up to the gimmick. And whether you are entertained by his shtick or not is subjective. Personally, I think it's naff and it actually does more to turn me off MMA than otherwise. However, it's not like the man behind the gimmick is anything to celebrate. The Matt Hughes comments, the incident with Miocic wife, the comments about Usman's ex-trainer, etc. 

But what really bugs me about him is when he sticks his tongue out. He looks like a right tit when he does that. 

Edited by jimufctna24