Playground Synchronicities

Merzbow

There may be a slight bit of " 'Ey, D'ya remember?" to this thread but bear with me.

I love how ideas would seemingly pop up at schools all over the country at the same time, you'd have a phrase you're dead certain was made up by a friend only to find out later some school miles away would say the exact same thing.

The one that popped up and gave me the idea for this thread was a reworking of The Sign by Ace of Base with the lyrics now about the proverbial Your Mum, her opening up her legs and it being outstanding shagging on the landing.

If you wanna go all Carl Jung and Alan Moore then these pre-internet memes are all thought up in some collective unconscious or some shit but how do you think a lot of them are passed about and what are some favs?

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I was last told that Kel from Kenen and Kel was dead by someone in 2011 and I first heard it in about 1997. Remarkable that that one managed to last well into the internet age. 

Was going to mention this one.

Also that 'Super' S that everyone used to draw. Vice did an article about how its origins appear to be untraceable: link.

Purple Aki possibly belongs in this thread too. Not an exaggeration to say he's one of the most famous people in Liverpool and the surrounding areas and has been since the 80s, despite him very very rarely being acknowledged in print media and there initially being no internet via which to spread the tale.

• Paid Members

Kenen dying and that are bang on. They were both widespread and I went to several schools growing up.

Who invented the whole thing where you tried to get people to look at your hand, and you hit them if they did? That was everywhere, as was the traditionally painful (and occasionally violent) game of 'Claps'.

• Paid Members

Also holding your hand over an oblivious classmates head and silently counting up until they noticed, to calculate how many boyfriends they had. Progressive. 

Do you remember Spangles? Etc. 

5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Also holding your hand over an oblivious classmates head and silently counting up until they noticed, to calculate how many boyfriends they had. Progressive. 

Do you remember Spangles? Etc. 

You dropped your gay card.

• Paid Members

Im 37 now, and we all sung the alternate Ace of Base and used to "tag" our stuff with the "S" in Barnsley, and I know they did the same down Suffolk way as my cousins did the same...

I notice a lot of prison letters i deliver are tagged withnthe word "Bounce" with a weird zig zag arrow drawn on it. What were all that about eh?

Also, did Purple Aki really do a murder? I've never heard that one and he prowls round here sometimes.

• Paid Members

He apparently caused the death of someone by shitting them up so much they ran on the train track and were either hit by a train or touched the electrified rail, not sure which. Or if it's even true. 

43 minutes ago, gmoney said:

He apparently caused the death of someone by shitting them up so much they ran on the train track and were either hit by a train or touched the electrified rail, not sure which. Or if it's even true. 

Lads name was Gary Kelly and was 16 at the time. He died at New Brighton train station running away from Aki in 1986. 

Very long but very good article on Purple Aki here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-6d083913-0bfb-4988-8cd8-d126fa6dcff1

Archived