NostalgiaMania - A card of 80's and 90's wrestlers

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Inspired by the Saudi thread, it got me thinking what former WWF wrestlers could still feasibly work a match in 2019 that are still active in the ring to any sort of degree.

The criteria I used is that they made an in-ring appearance over the past few years, although I'm sure that I've missed out loads. As expected, there are very few 80's wrestlers still capable in this day and age. 

Obviously we're not talking about any mat classics, but for ease of use I went back through old Wrestlemania cards. I've put question marks near some iffy ones and used some creative licence to include Steve Austin who's said he could work a match but has shown no desire to.

Could you put together a half decent card using this lot or any other realistic (not dead) names from the era?

Main Eventers:

Stone Cold Steve Austin?

The Rock

Triple H

Shawn Michaels

Kevin Nash/Diesel

The Undertaker

Tag Teams:

APA?

Demolition?

New Age Outlaws

Headbangers

Steiner Bros?

Quebecers

Mid/Lower card:

Big Boss Man

Tito Santana

Greg Valentine

Barry Windham?

Cowboy Bob Orton?

Jake Roberts

Brutus Beefcake

Terry Funk

Koko B Ware

B Brian Blair

Jim Duggan

Brooklyn Brawler

Virgil

The Warlord

Tatanka

Jeff Jarrett

Savio Vega

Rikishi

D'lo Brown

Gangrel

Christian

Flash Funk/Scorpio

Taka Michinoku

Aguilla

Kane

Ken Shamrock

Big Show

Hardcore Holly

Goldust

Sid Justice?

X-Pac

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Taking that list as a base, but making a few tweaks - I'm assuming I don't have Austin or Rock available, and the majority of your question marks are unavailable, but adding one or two other somewhat viable names.

Main Event:
Shawn Michaels vs. Goldberg (this is my big Saudi Arabia "fuck it, throw some of the big names together" main event)

The Undertaker vs. The Great Muta (gimmicky, OTT, more about the entrances than the match but fuck it, I want this happening)

Street Fight:
Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk (because if anyone can make a smoke and mirrors match work with the help of some plunder, it's these two. Maybe throw in Kevin Sullivan as referee)

Jeff Jarrett vs. Triple H (no idea, I just want Jarrett in a match with someone still active enough that it feels more like a "proper" wrestling match and not a nostalgia love-in.)

Steiner Brothers vs. New Age Outlaws vs. The Outsiders vs. The Rock N Roll Express vs. Harlem Heat (big old tag team clusterfuck to determine "the greatest team in history" or whatever. Started out planning this as Steiners vs. Outlaws, and figured it gave me a spot for the rest)

Tatanka vs. Hardcore Holly (just too big lads who can chop fuck out of each other)

Demolition & Road Warrior Animal vs. Haku, The Warlord & The Barbarian (more big lads, filling the "lumbering big fuckers in facepaint" quotient) 

Marty Jannetty vs. 1-2-3 Kid vs. 2 Cold Scorpio vs. TAKA Michinoku vs Aguila (too many multi-man matches on the card, but fuck it, this'll do for a way to get these lads on the show as a celebration of Cruiserweight Pioneers or whatever)

Throw everyone else in a Battle Royal, which can involve PCO taking a bonkers bump, and an even older bloke doing an Iron Sheik to win the lot because he can't take a bump over the top. Let's say it's won by Mil Mascaras.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Main Eventers:

Stone Cold Steve Austin?

The Rock

Triple H

Shawn Michaels

Kevin Nash/Diesel

The Undertaker

These could only just scrape by in 2018 based on reviews and talk after the show, another 12 months isn't going to help. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

In 2016 with Barb, both looking like they'd still be able to kick the shit out of the entire WWE roster.

ThePowersofPain2016Cropped.png

Amazing. I'm actually astonished that the pair of them are still breathing, never mind still looking like two scary bastards. 

• Paid Members

"Guest Host" Hulk Hogan

Announcers: JIm Ross and Jesse The Body Ventura.

Backstage Interviewers: Tony Schiavone and Sean Mooney

Shawn Michaels + Triple H (W/ Ric Flair) v Austin + the Rock (w/ Bret Hart)

Semi main, casket match: Kane v The Undertaker

Big Show v Kevin Nash

New Age Outlaws vs Dudley Boys

Fatal 4-way tag: Headbangers vs APA vs Powers of Pain vs Quebecers

Jerry Lawler vs Goldberg 

Jeff Jarrett vs Ken Shamrock

Hardcore Tag Match: Terry Funk and Tommy Dreamer vs Raven and Rhino (Mick Foley referee) (Joey Styles on commentary)

Tatanka, Brutus Beefcake and Koko B Ware vs Greg Valentine, The Great Muta and Sid Justice 

Tito Santana and Jim Duggan (with Jake the Snake) vs Christian and Gangrel (with Edge)

Al Snow vs RVD

Taka Michinoku vs 1-2-3 Kid vs Aguilla vs Scorpio

Obviously a total shitshow of a card, full of smoke and mirrors. Bet the Saudi lads would love it though.

Edited by garynysmon

8 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Fatal 4-way tag: Headbangers vs APA vs Powers of Pain vs Quebecers

According to your own rules, you can have them, but it'd have to be under the Acolytes gimmick. They didn't start calling themselves the APA until at least 2000 IIRC. 

• Paid Members

I think I've worked out a way for this not to be completely shit.

Opener: X-Pac and Kane vs. The Outlaws

X-Pac vs. Jeff Jarrett

X-Pac vs. Jerry Lawler

X-Pac vs. Shawn Michaels

X-Pac vs. Triple H

X-Pac vs. The Rock

X-Pac vs. The Undertaker

Austin vs. Goldberg

• Paid Members

There's a CHIKARA tag gauntlet from 2012 where the final three teams are the Powers of Pain, followed by Demolition, followed by Marty Jannetty and the 1-2-3 Kid, and it's glorious. Warlord still looked an absolute monster. Demolition less so, but I'm pretty sure they still take bookings.