The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

This does have real potential to become an issue for WWE, as it seems to have lit a fire on the Internet. Whilst the Internet in general doesn't matter, if it becomes zeitgesty and cuts through they could be in trouble.

WWE have a terrible record of handling these things. For every hastily arranged triple threat, there's someone being absolutely buried in mud to try and stop the fans caring.

I don't want to use the obvious crass joke that I've seen online, but I do think there's something to the idea that this has got under people's skin more because of who The Rock is now and what he represents. Coupled with the Vince stuff, it *is* pretty insane that they've tried to create positive PR by allowing the perception that a WWE board member is wielding their power in a selfish way to the detriment of an employee. It just feels... a bit unfair. And I'm not sure anyone likes unfairness, even the new WWE audience.

It could all be fine and not a single soul of those online kicking up a stink could have a ticket to a show between now and Mania, but it would be great if they'd broken their audience. Considering some of the liberties they have taken in this era of audience positivity (Sami, Drew, Cody the first time), they can't say they don't deserve it.

*EDIT*

I smell a zeitgeist..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wwe/article-13043107/wwe-rock-wrestlemania-smackdown-roman-reigns-cody-rhodes.html

Who could have guessed that the man behind Black Adam might be out of step with what an audience might want. I am shocked.

Plus, if we're playing the PR game, a quick search of The Rock's name suggests things have turned a little sour.

VIVA LA REBELS!

My Cody Rhodes bed spread could be back out the bin before you know it. I won't sleep in it, it's been in the bin, but it'll be a moral victory at least.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Roman calling Seths title a losers bracket title or along those lines hasn't helped.

It just makes Cody as a character look like he's finding an easy out to win, though I guess they'll spin it as "I'll show you who's a loser" but still your main rival of the last two years has told you to not settle for second best and in response you've sent his older cousin to sort him out.

One would imagine Rollins can't be thrilled, either. He's already lost every match he's had with the man, including one where Cody had one arm and a swollen booby.

In the latest Daily Mail click bait piece there's a wonderful quote that just reads like it's come from Rollins...

"The Rock eroded his trust with the comic and superhero community, with the film community, maybe with the football community, and might do it with the one he has almost universal goodwill with. 

He's not a bad guy, don't mistake that or get me wrong – he's a great guy. However, bad timing and overexposure and fatigue will make fools of us all. You have to know when to take a back seat."

Yeah, chill out Seth. Mad they've also got a quote from a source saying it's the sort of decision Vince would have made. That can't be what they're after.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Looks like it’s starting. It’ll be a genuine shame if we go back to the dog shit days of Mania main events being boo-fests. Current WWE is far from perfect, but the sheer joy of watching a product in synergy with its audience has been incredible after what felt like decades of this type of antagonistic anti-booking.

The absolute worst in all of this are those, “CRY MORE 😂😂,” fans, looking down on people who’re disappointed the storyline and protagonist they followed and got invested in over a two year period has been rug-pulled. At least with Daniel Bryan leading into Wrestlemania 30, half of it existed in the fan’s heads. They loved him, he kept getting fucked over by The Authority, but they were never going to properly push him and gave no indication to suggest otherwise. Here, they’ve specifically told you for two years that this was the direction, this was the guy, gave every indication they were going to pay it off, had him win The Rumble and scream at Roman, only for none of that to matter five days later. It’s terrible storytelling. Like in the final act of Endgame, Tony Starks just goes, “actually, not that bothered about Thanos after all. Might just go home, lads.

If a backlash happens, the fans are the last people to blame. Even those “hijkack the show!” losers. They have a case here. They’ve done everything asked of them, played along perfectly, only to have all satisfaction and catharsis chucked in the bin for what sounds like a big political game backstage. Hunter and his long-term stories are out. Rocky and Brian Gewirtz are in to think of such bangers as, “bitch of the table.”

Also, God bless anyone still trying to fantasy book their way out of this. History has proven that the best way forward is to just let it go. Don’t make it even worse for yourself. Kurt Angle’s retirement is against Baron Corbin. Charlotte Flair is being crow-barred into the Rousey vs. Lynch match. Roman vs. Rock is happening. And Cody almost certainly is fighting Seth for the Knobhead Championship.

Edited by Supremo

Penny for Triple H's thoughts.

Another thing that bothers me (of many, I know) is that a big issue with Rock/Roman is it just doesn't matter. No matter what happens, the ending actually isn't that important as neither will be around the week after. The Rock isn't going to change the face of the industry, or have a meaningful impact on the business come May or July or November.

They actually have someone, a babyface, that people care about and who could make a real difference at the top of the card and they've just gone... nah mate.

I get the theory that the new eyes that Rock will hopefully bring with him are really important, but it's fucking soulless to realise that being a part of the 'WWE Universe' (ugh) in May or July or November is the thing that to the WWE really doesn't matter, whether you're a fan or talent. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

You missed out "attendance chat" dullest of all the chat. 

Now I’m sad. Pointing out that Punk did a better number at MSG in 2008 than any John, Dave or Randy since 1998 is sometimes all that gets me through the day!

Anyway, Cody. Maybe I could see the merit in what they did given they’d accidentally booked themselves into a corner with Cody winning the Rumble and plans having to change - which I don’t buy. I can almost excuse Cody thinking “I can hurt Reigns as much as possible by having him fight his monstrous fake cousin, who happens to be a 10 time former World Champion with a cracking record in big matches, AND I can still fight for a World title same time.” As character justifications go, IF you insist on the match being Cody’s choice and not a board-mandated one in the story, it’s not the worst. I can almost buy, in the big picture, the idea that the company fancies a sideways wink to the Reigns detractors. “Hey guys, we know you stopped giving a shit about the old title at some point over the last four years. That belt just keeps Roman coming back occasionally, we made a real title for the real champion. Now that’s Cody Rhodes, who you love!” But in terms of Cody’s choice, there are two major flaws in theory in execution.

In execution, Cody gave a lovely speech as to how we shouldn’t think of it as the “Hollywood title” … then immediately negated it by stepping aside for The Scorpion King/Dr Bravestone. As if having CM Punk back in the locker room wasn’t a jarring enough reminder that when it comes to the belt, maybe you shouldn’t treat your 300 nighters as also-rans. In theory… as if the Consolation belt wasn’t in a rough enough condition given that it exists because nobody had proven themselves capable of beating Roman Reigns for two years, and that it was first won by Seth Rollins, one of the men who had tried and failed to beat Reigns, now Cody Rhodes is going to decide to challenge for that belt instead of the belt because guess what? He couldn’t beat Roman Reigns either!! Silver medal, indeed.

Between Reigns vs Rock for the belt and Gunther essentially retiring the actual Intercontinental title (am I alone in thinking that has been boring as hell too?) it’s feeling a bit like Raw’s belt is firmly established as the secondary, “top of the midcard” belt. When Cody wins it, will have he actually progressed that far from when he was Cody Adequate Rhodes?

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Looks like it’s starting. It’ll be a genuine shame if we go back to the dog shit days of Mania main events being boo-fests. Current WWE is far from perfect, but the sheer joy of watching a product in synergy with its audience has been incredible after what felt like decades of this type of antagonistic anti-booking.

The absolute worst in all of this are those, “CRY MORE 😂😂,” fans, looking down on people who’re disappointed the storyline and protagonist they followed and got invested in over a two year period has been rug-pulled. At least with Daniel Bryan leading into Wrestlemania 30, half of it existed in the fan’s heads. They loved him, he kept getting fucked over by The Authority, but they were never going to properly push him and gave no indication to suggest otherwise. Here, they’ve specifically told you for two years that this was the direction, this was the guy, gave every indication they were going to pay it off, had him win The Rumble and scream at Roman, only for none of that to matter five days later. It’s terrible storytelling. Like in the final act of Endgame, Tony Starks just goes, “actually, not that bothered about Thanos after all. Might just go home, lads.

If a backlash happens, the fans are the last people to blame. Even those “hijkack the show!” losers. They have a case here. They’ve done everything asked of them, played along perfectly, only to have all satisfaction and catharsis chucked in the bin for what sounds like a big political game backstage. Hunter and his long-term stories are out. Rocky and Brian Gewirtz are in to think of such bangers as, “bitch of the table.”

Also, God bless anyone still trying to fantasy book their way out of this. History has proven that the best way forward is to just let it go. Don’t make it even worse for yourself. Kurt Angle’s retirement is against Baron Corbin. Charlotte Flair is being crow-barred into the Rousey vs. Lynch match. Roman vs. Rock is happening. And Cody almost certainly is fighting Seth for the Knobhead Championship.

Can’t remember who mentioned it, but I can see them reverting to a Cody/Rock/Reigns main event. Just replaying what happened on the way to Mania 30. I don’t for a second think of it does happen it was “always the plan” and it was to whip up more support for Cody, but if the crowds continue to turn I can see them doing it.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Can’t remember who mentioned it, but I can see them reverting to a Cody/Rock/Reigns main event. Just replaying what happened on the way to Mania 30. I don’t for a second think of it does happen it was “always the plan” and it was to whip up more support for Cody, but if the crowds continue to turn I can see them doing it.

I think The Rock is already on manoeuvres to stop this sort of thing happening.

'Ps, thick skin. Love your passion.'

Awful prick.

The Rock is far less fun as a roided up CEO. I hope this affair makes people appreciate Big Match John. He just came back and put Solo over.

• Paid Members

The backlash this has caused is crazy! Every single post by Rock, WWE, HHH etc on social media is bombarded by negative comments. Crowd reaction at Raw tomorrow night will be interesting

They really are in a corner now. I’m not sure I see a pivot to a three way. It’s possible but Rock vs Reigns is a bloodline feud not title feud

If they change anything I imagine it will be double duty for Roman. Drops the title to Cody on Night 1 and then has Rock on night two, that way if the match is shit they can play on the fact Roman is knackered from the previous night. 

Cody should tell them to fuck off if they try any funny business.

Roman pulling double duty is shit as either Cody gets a tired Roman or Rock faces someone who's already been beat. A triple threat is shit because they're always shit.

They've painted themselves into a corner, but it's their corner. Cody can't just come back like 'soz, changed my mind.'

The best thing for Cody is probably just to try and make this Rollins match mean something and then be there to mop up the mess once Mania season is out the way. The more he gets embroiled in the Rock/Roman drama, the stupider he looks.

Let The Rock and Triple H worry about what they've done.

• Paid Members

20 : “Why is HBK getting involved? They should let this be Benoits moment.”

30 : “Why did Batista win the Rumble? This should be Bryan’s moment.”

You can see where I’m going. Maybe a triple threat has legs. Certainly more chance than Reigns vs Cody vs Sami had last year. Seth vs McIntyre would be an obvious fallback for Raw’s title. Though it would feel very silver medal.

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

20 : “Why is HBK getting involved? They should let this be Benoits moment.”

30 : “Why did Batista win the Rumble? This should be Bryan’s moment.”

You can see where I’m going. Maybe a triple threat has legs. Certainly more chance than Reigns vs Cody vs Sami had last year. Seth vs McIntyre would be an obvious fallback for Raw’s title. Though it would feel very silver medal.

Seth's title might as well be painted grey and placed on a ribbon, it's already a silver medal.

I'm not sure there's ever been a less prestigious world championship reign or champion. You could make an argument for both Gunther and Logan Paul both meaning more in the current WWE.

11 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The Rock is far less fun as a roided up CEO. I hope this affair makes people appreciate Big Match John. He just came back and put Solo over.

I dunno. I've always preferred Rock when he was a heel. I just don't see him leaning into the old Corporate Champion/Hollywood Rock since he's off doing PR for the UFL and damage control for TKO.