The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah that one’s been in the works for a bit. Hopefully it actually happens. Gane’s spent the whole year having fights scheduled and then cancelled, and mostly cancelled on his opponent’s side. JDS is definitely a faded version of what he was but this is still a big step up for Gane. He’s skipping a couple of levels here considering he was originally being lined up to fight the likes of Abdurakhimov, Pavlovich and Delija this year. 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, WeeAl said:

I really hope Max can get back in the win column with this one. For someone of his level and ability, to go 1-4 in his last five just feels wrong. Fingers crossed this is the start of another winning run for him. 

The only thing that makes me hesitant to root for Max in this instance is the potential for the UFC throwing him in there again with Volkanovski. I don't think I want to see that again any time soon.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, David said:

The only thing that makes me hesitant to root for Max in this instance is the potential for the UFC throwing him in there again with Volkanovski. I don't think I want to see that again any time soon.

Yeah that's true, one win and they may rush to book him in another Volkanovski fight. Max being totally frozen out, if he suffered a third loss in title fights to the one person really would Rich Franklin him. 

However as good as Volkanovski is, he's not going to be Anderson Silva and hold the title for eight years. Featherweight is too deep. If Holloway was to put together a three fight streak before challenging for the title again, I don't think it'd be Volkanovski staring back accross the cage at him. A lot of these guys in that top seven are going to be fit to exchange wins with each other, and I'd include Volkanovski, Holloway, Ortega, Zabit, Yair, Kattar and Zombie in that elite mix. 

• Paid Members

Khabib’s shot down Dana’s claims that he’s going to fight again.

Of course, things can change and you always have to take MMA retirements with a bowl of salt. But right now, it appears he’s content with that being it for his fighting days.

I’m actually hoping he does stay retired now. Which is weird because I wouldn’t have entertained that pre-UFC 254. As soon as he retired though, I don’t know, something about the whole thing just feels right to me. He’s beat the game and got out with his health and financial security. That very rarely happens in combat sports. Plus the only fights left for him that were talked about and had people interested were Ferguson and GSP. But the Ferguson thing is cursed and it kind of feels like the moment where that was really special has kind of passed now anyway. And GSP is pushing 40 and, while it’d be cool to watch, the fight itself probably couldn’t live up to what people want from it and I’d rather they both just go out on top.

Dana’s obviously going to try to pressure him to come back by throwing out comments about him possibly coming back to tease it and drum up interest. But I honestly hope Khabib doesn’t bite. 

I definitely agree with you on the GSP fight. I don't see the appeal in a 39 year old guy who has fought once in 6 years fighting a guy who has been on a tear and looks unbeatable and is currently the 2nd best P4P guy around. It especially doesn't appeal to me as I'm sure it wouldn't even be at Welterweight which would put GSP at an even bigger disadvantage.

I'd have more interest in seeing if Khabib could become a double champion by stepping up a weight class to fight Usman. For all the talk of him being the GOAT and the P4P king, there's never been any noise about him going for another belt and it is something I'd actually quite like to see.

Seeing a legacy vs legacy fight where one guy is in way better condition and has a far superior advantage does not interest me.

• Paid Members

Jose Aldo vs Marlon Vera is back on. Being targeted for the Dec 19th card according to that Marcel Dorff fella on Twitter.

Made up with that. Fuck me though, they’re loading up that card big time. Looks stronger than a few of the PPVs we’ve had this year to me. Edwards vs Chimaev, Wonderboy vs Neal, Aldo vs Vera, Moraes vs Font, the UFC debuts of Manel Kape and Alexandr Shabliy. Jesus wept.

Edit - Also just seen that Ottman Azaitar vs Matt Frevola and Arman Tsarukyan vs Nasrat Haqparast have been added to UFC 257 in January (the McGregor vs Poirier 2 card). Both cracking fights and Azaitar and Tsarukyan have looked like two guys to really keep tabs on so far. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Tony Ferguson vs Charles Oliveira at UFC 256!!!

1EC007A8-A5E1-4541-9EE1-C0BE9FE6B60B.gif

Edit - by process of elimination I think this might mean Chandler vs Gaethje as well, which I’d be all over. Whacking that on 257 as co-main under McGregor vs Poirier 2 would do nicely. Bit of a mini tournament thing. Plus you’ve got options then when someone inevitably drops out. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I really wanted Ferguson vs Chandler.

I love both Chandler and Gaethje so it's going to be hard to root against one of them. It'll be great fight but sad to see one guy completely drop out of the title mix.

Ferguson vs Olveira is going to be great though. It's the step up DuBronx needs and a great style for Ferguson to do his usual whacky bits.

• Paid Members

I like this. I know Dana loves trotting out the old ‘as soon as you start talking about retirement you should retire’ line. Unless you’re Khabib then Dana won’t let you retire in peace. But this probably actually takes all the pressure off a guy like Overeem. He can go out there and fight without worrying about rankings and where he’ll be a year from now and so on. I guess he’s going to fight until he he either loses again or wins the belt. Whichever comes first. Wonder when Miocic vs Ngannou 2 will be. Overeem’s fighting Volkov in February. If Miocic vs Ngannou is around the same time it could line up nicely for Reem to get the winner about summertime if he beats Volkov. That’s if Jon Jones doesn’t swoop in and get the shot. 

• Paid Members

A while back some podcast or the other (maybe Co-main Event or Morning Kombat) were saying that they expect Miocic Vs Ngannou II to be in March. Fingers crossed 'Reem beats Volkov and then he would leave himself in a lovely spot, even to just sit and wait until they need a challenger, should Jones swoop in first. 

There's a story there to be told and to get to the bottom of with all of those opponents for 'Reem. Re-matches with Stipe, Francis and a fight with Jones are all fights I'd be really interested in after the fresh run that Overeem has managed to put together. 

• Paid Members

Yeah the Stipe and Francis rematches are obvious and would be great chances for redemption for him, as well as trying to win the belt. But even the Jones thing, they have history as teammates at Jackson’s for a spell. If Stipe vs Francis 2 is in March that would be perfect timing-wise with Reem fighting in February. Even if he just stays training, the way things are there’s always the chance Stipe or Francis drop out with injuries or COVID and Overeem could slip in the back door that way and nab the shot. Worked out for Bisping with the Rockhold fight. I’m sure Reem will be staying ready just incase. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I know it would throw the division into flux if he won, but could you imagine Overeem, after what would be ten years in the company, and 20 odd fights winning the title in his last ever fight?

I know he'd not retire then, of course, but if he did it would be awesome.

And to think he came in against Lesnar with a lot of hype and was largely written off after losing to Travis Browne, Bigfoot and Ben fucking Rothwell.

• Paid Members

It would be pretty incredible, The Reem is already a legend but thats some legendary, GOAT like shit. Has any other fighter every gone through adversity like Overeem but remained a top fighter for so long? The only person close is Arlovski but Overeem's achievments eclipse The Pitbulls by some distance.

• Paid Members

In terms of longevity at the highest level, I'm having trouble thinking of any other fighter that matches, let alone surpasses Overeem. GSP comes close in years, but not in number of matches.

Edited by Carbomb