The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeh, that's true. Bizarre to think that the HW title scene is actually quite deep in comparison to previous eras. Before he ever faces Blaydes (and if), Miocic has rematches with Overeem and Ngannou to get through, then definitely a defence against Jones.

(BTW was just looking at Walt Harris' record, and it's also odd that his last three fights have been against guys whose names are variations of "Alexander".)

• Paid Members

Blaydes is the boogeyman at heavyweight. He's clearly the no. 2 or 3 guy but as pointed out he's not really the kind of heavyweight that brings a huge amount of appeal. There's not many guys at heavyweight id pick to beat Stipe right, but Blaydes is one of them id quite fancy. 

• Paid Members

Anyone else not at all arsed about this?

I think this is an obvious tactic by Adesanya to draw Jon Jones back. That’s clearly the biggest fight out there for him right now and what better way to coax Jonny Bones back than by quickly going up to 205 and taking the belt he never lost?

I also get why Israel is looking outside the Middleweight division. It’s looking like a Whittaker rematch next at 185 and, while Whittaker has definitely earned another crack, I can see why Adesanya might be a bit disinterested. He smoked ol’ tit stars Bob just a year ago.

I’m not sure how to feel about this though. I’m not that fussed about a Jan vs Izzy fight. Rather see Jan defend against the Santos/Glover winner. But there isn’t a whole lot going on in either the 205 or 185 title pictures right now. I don’t know. If it was Jones vs Adesanya I’d be all over it. Blachowicz vs Adesanya not so much. 

Edited by wandshogun09

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m not that fussed about a Jan vs Izzy fight. Rather see Jan defend against the Santos/Glover winner.

I'd much rather see Jan vs Izzy personally. 

Jan, Santos and Glover do little for me, and it would be very interesting to see how Izzy would get on at 205lbs. 

6 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

DEFB35DB-2C11-4A20-B542-6436C8F41C5D.gif

Seriously, next you’ll be telling me ‘yeah, Christmas and little puppies do little for me.’ 

I'll happily watch them on the undercard and I like them all as people. 

But Izzy at 205lbs would really capture my imagination. 

• Paid Members

Plan is obviously to have Izzy win them have Jones' challenge sometime towards the end of year.

This could be the first time somene fights for belts in 3 divisions actually. If Jones does go heavyweight and beats Stipe they'd hot shot a 205lb Champ Izzy in for Heavyweight Title straight away.

• Paid Members

Wait a minute, Izzy at Heavyweight? That’s crazy talk. I can easily see him at 205 but there’s no way he’s going to Heavyweight surely. I mean, I’m sure he could technically weigh in as a HW if he went with the old BJ Penn method of eating himself silly but he shouldn’t be fighting at that weight. If Jones vs Adesanya is ever going to happen I think it’s got to be at 205.

Also, Jones beating Stipe is a pretty massive IF. There’s way too much going on. First we’ve got Miocic vs Ngannou 2 to get through. That’s looking like March. Now we’ve got Blachowicz vs Adesanya. I’m thinking Jones just hangs back and sees how those fights play out. If Adesanya loses to Jan then Jones is probably off to HW. If Adesanya wins though Jones can take his pick. But even then we’re probably looking at next summer at the earliest. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Wait a minute, Izzy at Heavyweight? That’s crazy talk. I can easily see him at 205 but there’s no way he’s going to Heavyweight surely. I mean, I’m sure he could technically weigh in as a HW if he went with the old BJ Penn method of eating himself silly but he shouldn’t be fighting at that weight. If Jones vs Adesanya is ever going to happen I think it’s got to be at 205.

Probably, but if it plays out to the point where Jones holds the heavyweight belt and Adesanya holds the 205lb belt they are gonna look to do it. Adesanya has spoken of going to heavyweight. He fought as high as 220lb in kickboxing. It sounds like silly talk and id never envisage him going in against monster heavyweights but i could see him fighting Jones.

Jones will likely sit out, but if he does he'll be looking at middle of next year until he fights. If Jones fights in the interim who does he fight? if he does goto heavyweight will he even entertain the idea of moving back to 205lb?

Edited by Egg Shen