The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

McGregor doesn’t deserve it anyway. Mr I’ve won one fight in the last 4 years and haven’t won a fight at Lightweight since 2016. Balls to him. I don’t care that he’s a draw. He should be behind Poirier, Oliveira, Chandler, Gaethje, Ferguson, Dariush, the lot.

Very true, but i think everybody had the idea in their head that the UFC was going to somehow wangle Conor into a title fight. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Very true, but i think everybody had the idea in their head that the UFC was going to somehow wangle Conor into a title fight. 

If he somehow beats Poirier in the 3rd fight, which isn't that much of a stretch, then he'll be next in line without a doubt.

• Paid Members

He will be. I don’t like it but I accept that’s the way it is. They’re going to do their best to get that belt back on him and now Khabib’s gone he’s actually got a chance. I hope he loses every fight from here on in though. In all the years I’ve been watching MMA, there’s been very few times I’ve found it more satisfying than when Poirier smacked his head in. I could take a dose of that every few months. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

If he somehow beats Poirier in the 3rd fight, which isn't that much of a stretch, then he'll be next in line without a doubt.

yeah, that's a nailed on number 1 contender fight now. 

• Paid Members

I think they’re all fairly winnable for the wanker now Khabib’s out of the mix. There are guys I could see beating him, obviously, but nobody who I couldn’t see McGregor possibly beating either. The Poirier rubber match could go either way, same with Diaz. Gaethje, fuck knows. Oliveira would tie him in knots on the ground but, while he’s good on the feet, he’s definitely beatable there. I could see Conor hurting him. Ferguson’s more winnable now than it would’ve been a couple of years back. I could see a lot of them going either way but there isn’t what I’d call a nightmare matchup for him there anymore now Dana’s been good enough to allow Khabib to retire. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I can see the title hot potatoing about big time over the next year or two. There’s nobody I see dominating head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Everyone seems to have a good style to beat someone, but then someone else has a good style to beat them. Whereas Khabib seemed to have enough of everything covered that, when added to his foundation of killer grappling, he was kyptonite for pretty much everyone. It’s going to be an interesting run of fights. 

• Paid Members

There's also a few of them that I would say could age out within that next 18 months. Take Chandler and Poirier for example. While Chandler could beat Oliveira, I would have a hard time seeing him being able to defend it once, never mind twice. He's just at that point in his career where (counting Bellator) I can't see him being able to win 5 in a row. The hot potatoing that you guys have mentioned definitely looks likely. 

Dustin is the best of the lot there at the moment for me but I have this expectation, whenever it happens to be and probably not all that far away, that he's going to age sharply over night. Kind of like Tony Ferguson did last year. Tyron Woodley not long before that. Whilst I'd bet Tony can still beat a lot of guys in the top ten, I don't expect he could win three in a row against them either. I'd love to see Dustin win the belt someday and hopefully he gets another title fight before his prime window closes out on him. 

If Islam Machachev can continue to get better and get fights though? God help the rest of them. If he gets the fight with RDA and wins it, the rest of the top of the division won't be able to keep him on ice for too long. 

• Paid Members

Ryan Hall’s got a fight and it’s a good one. 

Topuria is a bit of a beast from what I’ve seen so far. 10-0 with 9 finishes, a really good grappler (Greco Roman wrestler + BJJ black-belt) but has also shown some dangerous striking as seen in his last fight.

5B9FC711-39B3-428E-8360-8EB6DE46C341.gif

He’s one of the better prospects on the roster at the moment for me so it’ll be interesting to see how he tackles Hall’s wacky and wonderful style. Can’t imagine there’s many unbeaten prospects willing to jump in there with Ryan Hall so fair play to Topuria for taking the fight when nobody else seems to want it. 

Edited by wandshogun09