So, this Ronda Rousey carry-on then...

David

I know it was being discussed in the Raw thread, but fuck it, why not make a new thread dedicated to it? 

Anyway, despite the battering her antics are taking in some quarters, it's got non-wrestling media wondering what the fuck is going on by the looks of it. MMAFighting.com has even began to ask if she's maybe heading back to MMA if she's getting tired of her pro wrestling stint;

Anyone who has seen Furious 7 will tell you that Ronda Rousey is not the world’s greatest thespian. But either she’s getting better at acting, or she’s getting tired of her career in professional wrestling.

Recently, the WWE has been building toward a triple threat match for the Raw women’s title between Rousey, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch, likely as the main event of WrestleMania on April 7 at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. The match would be the first-ever women’s main event at a WrestleMania should this happen, but yesterday, Rousey broke the cardinal rule of professional wrestling, releasing a video on her personal Vlog where she angrily said that wrestling is scripted and she wasn’t playing by those rules anymore because at the end of the day, she could legitimately beat up every woman in the company.

“It wasn’t a promo they gave me other things to say I didn’t f*cking say it,” Rousey said. “It’s not a promo. It’s not an act. I’m not going out there and doing their f*cking act anymore. They can say it’s part of the act to try and save face but it’s not an act. I’m going out there and doing whatever the hell I want and they can explain it however they want, but f*ck ‘em. Everybody. WWE Universe included. I meant that I’m going to disrespect the sport that they all love so much. ‘Oh don’t break kayfabe, Ronda!’ Wrestling is scripted. It’s made up. It’s not real. None of those b*tches can f*cking touch me. The end.”

Now look, is this all part of the storyline the WWE is trying to build? Probably? It’s tough to say. While Rousey has historically been a company woman (at least as far as doing whatever the UFC wanted), she also has a history of reacting poorly to slights and insults and completely going off the rails when things do not go as planned. For instance, after getting knocked out by Holly Holm, Rousey retreated from the public eye for a year, and when she returned would no longer do media in advance of her fight with Amanda Nunes. Recently, Lynch has taken shots on Twitter at Rousey’ husband, Travis Browne, and it’s possible this actually set Rousey off. Rousey’s former rival Miesha Tate certainly thinks so.

“I know for a fact that burnt Ronda’s cookies,” Tate told SiriusXM’s Busted Open radio. “It got under her skin. I know about this. You don’t talk about her family, you don’t talk about this, even if it’s just a joke. She does not have a sense of humor, and therefore sh*t got real. . .

“No, Ronda’s pissed. Ronda’s not joking. She’s not playing games. She’s not used to having to play by rules. She never had to before. Why is she gonna now? She’s already broken the rule with the F-word, saying some things are ‘fake.’ She’s not a company woman. She never has been.”

Tate and Rousey had a storied rivalry throughout their MMA career and she could well be right about all of this. Or it could be an elaborate work. If it’s not though, Charlotte Flair probably also just put herself on Rousey’s sh*t list with her response to Rousey’s video.

Maybe this is just the in Cris Cyborg needs to make the jump to WWE.

Like it or not, it's got people talking, and the talk is moving beyond "Oh look, Ronda's found her smile again doing the fake WWE stuff! Good for her!"

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Imagine believing any of this is real....

Yeah I'm with you on this, and I also agree with your post in the other thread about whether this is tarnishing the business.

It's a very interesting set of affairs at the moment that's for sure. Is it tarnishing the business? I don't see how, everyone knows it's fake anyway and the hardcore fans that like to have a suspension of belief will still tune in anyway. What's more, they will also probably follow the Ronda/Lynch tweets more than ever. I think it could end up being a very useful way to build the match/event. The fact that it's got plenty of people talking and questioning whether she's shooting or not is having an effect, and I can see more positive than negative as it stands.

Becky is bringing the zingers, whilst Ronda is bringing the OMG tweets. It's drumming up a LOT of interest. Job done?

Honestly don’t know what to make of any of this. Like has been said it’s got people talking. Whether this stuff will bring in extra eyes to watch her do the fake pro wrestling I don’t know.

I’ll say it now though -there’s zero chance Rousey is taking the fall at Mania. We’re getting a glorious screwball fuck finish out if this.

Just now, PunkStep said:

Yeah I'm with you on this, and I also agree with your post in the other thread about whether this is tarnishing the business.

It's a very interesting set of affairs at the moment that's for sure. Is it tarnishing the business? I don't see how, everyone knows it's fake anyway and the hardcore fans that like to have a suspension of belief will still tune in anyway. What's more, they will also probably follow the Ronda/Lynch tweets more than ever. I think it could end up being a very useful way to build the match/event. The fact that it's got plenty of people talking and questioning whether she's shooting or not is having an effect, and I can see more positive than negative as it stands.

Becky is bringing the zingers, whilst Ronda is bringing the OMG tweets. It's drumming up a LOT of interest. Job done?

I find most of it very funny. Charlotte's last one about Ronda losing her last two fights was great. But if you think that Ronda didn't say she was OK to post it then you're mad. They're all friends.

I thought we were past the whole "wrestling is fake but this stuff...this stuff is real" business from fans who should know better. 

1 minute ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Honestly don’t know what to make of any of this. Like has been said it’s got people talking. Whether this stuff will bring in extra eyes to watch her do the fake pro wrestling I don’t know.

I’ll say it now though -there’s zero chance Rousey is taking the fall at Mania. We’re getting a glorious screwball fuck finish out if this.

If she's leaving after mania she's losing the fall. If she's not then she might keep the belt and lose at it the next show. She's definitely losing before she leaves though. They're all friends. 

20 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Imagine believing any of this is real....

I think the only reason anyone may believe there's something to it is because of her history reacting to people mentioning her family or anyone close to her. Let's face it, MMA "feuds," for as real as the violence is in the cage, are as much WWE-esque in their build as pro wrestling, which is why most fighters shake hands after the actual fight. She's refused to do that on numerous occasions, holding grudges for years because someone slagged off her head coach or some shit.

Plus, it's kind of generally accepted that she's not all that mentally stable. She had a bit of a fucked up childhood, and her reaction to losing her UFC title really was something to behold. If it emerged tomorrow that she'd taken the huff over something that was said to her and had walked out of WWE I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Also, for as much as I'm sure this is all scripted, I'm not sure I believe that they're "all friends" behind the scenes. Rousey was notorious during her MMA run as someone who was very moody, anti-social, and who wasn't exactly great to be around.

Not sure she's suddenly changed much in the past year or so.

She could do a Warrior and refuse to drop the belt before the show? It seems to me exactly how it was mentioned in the opening post - Becky doing that photoshop of her hubby has set her over the edge and she just doesn't care. Although she was still professional during the latest Raw, as far as I could tell. I don't really pay attention to most of the non-TV stuff though, just what gets picked up on here.

Just now, David said:

I think the only reason anyone may believe there's something to it is because of her history reacting to people mentioning her family or anyone close to her. Let's face it, MMA "feuds," for as real as the violence is in the cage, are as much WWE-esque in their build as pro wrestling, which is why most fighters shake hands after the actual fight. She's refused to do that on numerous occasions, holding grudges for years because someone slagged off her head coach or some shit.

Plus, it's kind of generally accepted that she's not all that mentally stable. She had a bit of a fucked up childhood, and her reaction to losing her UFC title really was something to behold. If it emerged tomorrow that she'd taken the huff over something that was said to her and had walked out of WWE I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Also, for as much as I'm sure this is all scripted, I'm not sure I believe that they're "all friends" behind the scenes. Rousey was notorious during her MMA run as someone who was very moody, anti-social, and who wasn't exactly great to be around.

Not sure she's suddenly changed much in the past year or so.

Do you think that any of these tweets and back And forths havent been pre planned between all of the performers playing these fake characters and other people in the company? Do you honestly think Becky took the piss out of her husband and Charlotte mocked her losses without Ronda telling them to? 

I'm sure some people believe it. And more power to those women if they've managed to work the fans. But it's all fake. Come on  

That Charlotte response is one of the best things she's ever done, in an already highly decorated run. 

The shoot stuff has been the absolute shits - mostly because Rousey just sort of seems like the person you don't want strong arming their way into a discussion of any great importance in the office - but that's sort of on me and I'm probably being worked a bit, too. She's getting heat, after all. 

I do think in general that the whole palaver over worked shoots gets blown way out of proportion by us lot. Nobody wants a Russo-esque Bash at the Beach 2000 repeat, but by the same token I was quite surprised when I came on here on Tuesday morning after what I thought was a pretty shit hot Triple H promo to see a bunch of people have a conniption because he drops lines like "this is not the character".

I thought in that case it was a pretty believable, entertaining manipulation of kayfabe. So has much of Lesnar's run lately. That stuff has a place, as long as it's not too bad. 

13 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Do you think that any of these tweets and back And forths havent been pre planned between all of the performers playing these fake characters and other people in the company? Do you honestly think Becky took the piss out of her husband and Charlotte mocked her losses without Ronda telling them to? 

I'm sure some people believe it. And more power to those women if they've managed to work the fans. But it's all fake. Come on  

No one is saying that the whole thing isn't scripted, but is it micro-planned to such a degree? Maybe not. 

Perhaps the idea was to throw back and forth some harsh Tweets, but I'm not sure they've all been sitting at a big dinner event, seeing as they're all friends and all that, discussing, word for word, what they're going to be posting on Twitter.

"Okay Charlotte, what to do is make mention of the fact that I got smacked about in my last few UFC fights and suffered to such an extent mentally that I disappeared from the spotlight for months because of it and ended up going off at the deep end completely! It'll be great! Hey, I'm headed to the kitchen, do you want another soda?"

It wasn't that long ago that Rousey said that after her first loss where she lost the title she was actually thinking about killing herself. 

Even if it has been staged to such a degree, I doubt many would be surprised if something Rousey said she was cool with one day, is something she's fucking furious about the next day when it happens. As I said, she has previous in MMA for being very unstable. Dana White was as big a cheerleader and apologist for her as you'll find (he even went to bat for her over the Sandyhook comments) and even he had trouble keeping her sweet.

Also, bear in mind that no one is thinking she's going to actually beat anyone up ~FOR REALZ~, but is she capable of being completely unreasonable and spitting out the dummy, making life hard for WWE in the build up to a huge show? Absolutely.

Of course it’s all planned. Vince would have marched them into his office for bollocking long before it got this much mainstream media coverage if it was a shoot of any kind. 

I could see Ronda taking the fall at Mania.  I don’t think she cares about that kind of stuff and just want the best for the match. And you remember what our old pal Road Dogg said...

14 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Of course it’s all planned. Vince would have marched them into his office for bollocking long before it got this much mainstream media coverage if it was a shoot of any kind. 

I could see Ronda taking the fall at Mania.  I don’t think she cares about that kind of stuff and just want the best for the match. And you remember what our old pal Road Dogg said...

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting Ronda cares about dropping a fall and is gonna start shooting. Her not taking the loss just seems like a Vince thing to do at this point.

Also, they ran at least three worked shooty moments on tv this week including the SNL guys and HHH, so there’s definitely some planning in this. It’s all quite intriguing, I’ll give them that.

Archived