So, this Ronda Rousey carry-on then...

David

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fair play to them. They've got a lot of people genuinely believing this and talking about it.

It's not my preference this sort of thing, but it's a clear direction Vince has suddenly decided to go down when you include Triple H's "it's the man and not the character" promo.

Trying to get people to believe in it again is admirable, but it does nowt for me because it's pretty clear what's up.

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Of course it’s all planned. Vince would have marched them into his office for bollocking long before it got this much mainstream media coverage if it was a shoot of any kind.

I've not been watching modern wrestling for years now, but the very notion of Vince, or anyone else for that matter marching Ronda Rousey into any office and administering a bollocking is absolutely hilarious. The red haired Irish girl? Fair enough, but Rousey is pretty huge star and if Dana White couldn't sit her down and tell her how it is I don't think Vince is going to.

I saw her saying not too long ago that she's at a stage in life where she can do whatever the fuck she wants, because she's way past rich enough, and way big enough as a star. She's with WWE because she thinks it's fun, not because she has to be. She could fuck the fake stuff off tomorrow and Dana White would roll out the red carpet for her over at the UFC without hesitation.

As I said, it's obviously a work, it's pro wrestling, and it's being done well enough for some people to believe it. I'm just pointing out the fact that Rousey has previous for going off the deep end. She's fallen out with people for stupid shit, so would it surprise me if she decided to take offence at something she was okay with previously? absolutely not. 

I know it's all smoke and mirrors, but fuck me this is absolutely last. Where do you go with this? if they decide this match headlines, is everybody on the undercard not going to look like utter dickheads after the main event talent has sold the show on being someone's da browsing through Sky in 1991? She's been giving it the 'it's all fake' for about a fortnight now, so how do you solve that? Are they going to go out there and do this under Pancrase rules or something? Absolute twattery.

7 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Fair play to them. They've got a lot of people genuinely believing this and talking about it.

It's not my preference this sort of thing, but it's a clear direction Vince has suddenly decided to go down when you include Triple H's "it's the man and not the character" promo.

Trying to get people to believe in it again is admirable, but it does nowt for me because it's pretty clear what's up.

I feel like this feud’s OMG SHOOT~ stuff would be more effective if HHH wasn’t doing the same thing in his Mania feud as well. At least in this Rousey one it plays into existing backstage rumours, but with Hunter/Batista it’s just so desperately an attempt at nu-kayfabe. Still, I’m well up for both matches!

• Paid Members

I agree to an extent. Also, this Rousey stuff would be a lot less obvious and different if Triple H didn't cut his shoot shoot promo on Raw. Personally, I don't think either story needs it, but it's undeniable they've created a bit of buzz with Ronda.

Worked-shoot can get in the bin. It gets used because it's supposed to be edgy and get that "ooooh" snap reaction, but it's just lazy and undermines any sense of escapism and suspension of disbelief. If a guy's onscreen character is designed to be a reflection of his actual personality, then fine. But when you've got onscreen characters actually calling out the fact that their wrestling persona is manufactured, it not only makes the angle LESS believable but also makes idiots of everyone else on the card maintaining the illusion. Fuck it, I can't wait for the next Ian Beale vs Phil Mitchell feud on 'Stenders and Beale to lose an argument, and after Phil clears off, have Woodyatt turn to the camera and yell about how' Steve''s always held him down because of his precious legacy with his fake brother and how he won't be bringing the chippy Ian or East End hobo to the Vic that Friday, but the Real Fucking Woodyatt. If Ronda wants to get shooty digs in, by all means, point out that Lynch goes on about fighting but never stepped in an Ultimate FIGHTING Championship cage. Not this ham-fisted shit.

Archived