So, this Ronda Rousey carry-on then...

David

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

for whats its worth, im someone who glances results and watches the odd youtube video but overall the WWE has bored me for years, it just aint for me anymore. That said, both the Ronda and HHH things have piqued my interest. I actually started to think i'd skip Mania this year since the first time since i was a kid but those two angles have dragged me back in. 

I do find it baffling that so many people complain about the creative and the lack of thought that goes into the shows, yet once the WWE goes outside the box and actually tries something different its caused uproar amongst the fanbase. Maybe the people complaining now are the weird type that actually still tunes in and enjoys that garbage every week?

• Paid Members
On 3/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, Egg Shen said:

I do find it baffling that so many people complain about the creative and the lack of thought that goes into the shows, yet once the WWE goes outside the box and actually tries something different its caused uproar amongst the fanbase. Maybe the people complaining now are the weird type that actually still tunes in and enjoys that garbage every week?

It's not different, though. Worked-shoot has been done loads of times over the years, and it's been shit every time. 

Plus "going outside the box" doesn't mean the only option is worked-shoot, does it? Plenty of other things they could do. I'd argue that going worked-shoot shows just how bereft of imagination they really are; it's one of the laziest things in wrestling.

• Paid Members

When was the last time something similar was attempted? Russo/Hogan in 2000? That was 20 years ago, the younger current fanbase wont know about any of that stuff unless they live in the wrestling bubble. It may not be to everyones tastes but at least its got some teeth behind it and breaks the current mould.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

When was the last time something similar was attempted? Russo/Hogan in 2000? That was 20 years ago, the younger current fanbase wont know about any of that stuff unless they live in the wrestling bubble. It may not be to everyones tastes but at least its got some teeth behind it and breaks the current mould.

To me, it just doesn't matter when it was last done, because every single time has been shit. I can't think of a single instance where worked-shoot has turned out well. Where's the drama and tension in it? Are we supposed to be on the edges of our seats, watching the back-and-forth, thinking: "God, I really want to find out whom the bookers decided would win?" 

Suspension of disbelief is long gone. Suspension of narrative, however, hasn't. If this storyline works out, fine - I don't watch WWE any more, but if this angle gets over, I'll take it as a sign that the mainstream American wrestling product has changed to a certain point and passed me by, and no longer has anything for me.

46 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

C.M. Punk in 2011.

Triple H and Kevin Nash in 2011.

Daniel Bryan from 2013-2014.

John Cena and The Rock from 2011 to 2013.

John Cena vs Anyone with Internet points in the last ten years - Punk, Bryan, Owens, AJ, etc.

Almost all of Brock Lesnar’s storylines since he turned Internet heel.

Dolph Ziggler whenever he does a “they’re holding me down for my workrates” promo.

I don't mind the shoot promos as its different at least in the women division but knowing Vince the match at Mania will end up with Vince/Stephanie coming down to ringside to ring the bell when Ronda is close to tapping out to try and recreate the 'You Screwed Bret' moment because its all 'shoot and real'. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

To me, it just doesn't matter when it was last done, because every single time has been shit. I can't think of a single instance where worked-shoot has turned out well. Where's the drama and tension in it? Are we supposed to be on the edges of our seats, watching the back-and-forth, thinking: "God, I really want to find out whom the bookers decided would win?" 

Suspension of disbelief is long gone.

so whats the point in watching at all?

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

so whats the point in watching at all?

Entertainment, what else? As I said, suspension of narrative hasn't gone. We can accept all sorts of things about wrestling that are completely unrealistic, because they at least keep within the terms of the story line they've presented to the audience. Mime walls, Santa fighting the Grinch, human ant colonies, dwarves under the ring, drones providing assistance during matches to "deletion" on someone's estate - we can accept these because they're saying to the audience "this is the story we're telling". With worked-shoot, that all goes to bollocks. What's the story they're telling there? Nobody really hates anyone, but Rousey hates Lynch, but not really, but really, and when the match comes around, it's all fixed, but she's going to fight like she hates her? Which parts are the audience expected to treat as shoot, and which as work? More importantly, what's fun about it? Fair play to you if you enjoy it, but I just think it's lazy and shit.

I could just about accept the CM Punk "pipebomb" and the Cena/"I'm a wrestler, not an entertainer" feuds because they could, with a bit of imagination, be compared to situations in which real-life fighters complain about not getting title shots because they're not preferred by the promoter, or because their fighting style isn't entertaining. Not ideal, but could be done. But when you're actually saying, directly, outright, with no room for interpretation that "this is fixed, none of it's real", there's no room for interpretation. You don't see the cameraman or director or other production people on-screen in a TV or movie, except for the odd surrealist gag in a comedy spoof, like Spaceballs or Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

Archived