Biggest Name To Never Work WWE

BomberPat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bill Dundee must be a shout for this, especially given hes so closely associated with Lawler who has been there 30 years. Too small for McMahon land but he did abit of booking and work in WCW in the early 90's.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Maverick said:

Bill Dundee must be a shout for this, especially given hes so closely associated with Lawler who has been there 30 years. Too small for McMahon land but he did abit of booking and work in WCW in the early 90's.

I was thinking about Dundee the other day as a possibility for this - the combination of his height and the world's weirdest accent probably held him back, but he has to be one of the bigger regional stars to never make it there. He's still wrestling though, there's still time!

WCW casting him as a posh butler was tremendous nonsense.

Just checked Cagematch, and apparently he worked a Battle Royal on a WWF/PPW/MCW cross-promotion in 2001 that appears to have been headlined by Too Cool vs. The Mean Street Posse. So he might be excluded on the "cross-promotion" rule, depending where we stand on that.

13 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Bobby Eaton?

This one genuinely surprised me! I was sure he must have had some random midcard match at some point, but seemingly not a thing. I don't know if he'd break my top ten, but he definitely stands out.

7 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Yeah, he worked Memphis, OVW and HWA when they were all developmental territories and was even a trainer in OVW for a short period but never actually wrestled a match in the WWF/E.

Also besides Jim Cornette, i don't believe a single member of The Midnight Express has worked The WWE. So that's Bobby Eaton, Norvell Austin, Dennis Condrey, Randy Rose and Stan Lane (Lane perhaps worked a show or two as a Heavenly Body?).

I have not included "The New Midnight Express" because i found the rehashing of the team quite offensive, not that i have an issue with Bob Holly or Bart Gunn.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Although not in a wrestling capacity, Stan Lane worked for WWE in the mid-90s right? Doing backstage interviews or something?

Did a ton of commentary on TV and Coliseum.

• Paid Members
On 1/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, JNLister said:

Long story short on the Inoki/WWF title deal:

WWF and New Japan agreed a title run for Inoki with him winning the title and then losing it back a few days later, both in Japan. The idea was for Tiger Jeet Singh to distract him and cost him the title when he lost it and set up a feud.

New Japan then tried a double-cross by claiming the second match was a no contest or an Inoki win because of the interference and didn't let Backlund take the belt back. That led to some very heated telegram exchanges.

The two promotions then worked out a deal where WWF would ignore the whole thing (which is why they never recognised the Inoki reign till years later) while New Japan's public story was that Inoki had voluntarily given up the title because of the controversial finish.

At the next MSG show they had Backlund come out without the belt and not announced as champion, and the belt was with Hisashi Shinma who worked for New Japan and was figurehead WWF President (a forerunner to Jack Tunney.) To the fans in the building, it was just a normal title defense which he won against Bobby Duncum Jr. For the Japanese media, it was Backlund vs Duncum for the vacant title.

Finally found a couple of the telegrams.

IMG-20190131-134303413.jpg

Not a wrestler but would Lance Russell qualify for this, arguably one of the best commentators of all time. I know he did a stint in NWA/WCW but cant find a record of him working in WWF/E. 

Russell with Jesse Ventura would have been a great duo.

Archived