Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

i hate to say it, but i agree with David.

You don't have to hate to say it, Ebb. Just enjoy the feeling of being right for a change 😉

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Smith pretty much stopped doing what he promised pre-fight that he was going too, his corner was just trying to make him have a little more belief in himself.

I don't think he stopped doing what he promised to do in fairness, I think he quickly realised that there's a reason why top fighter after top fighter hasn't managed to beat Jones, and it has nothing to do with them being beaten before they leave their changing room for the Octagon.

He went in with the intention of taking the fight to Jones, and came to understand that it's not quite as easy as that.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ya, with every passing round Smith did less of it because Jones shut him down, but his corner tried time and again. As I said in my original post, you need more than "square go, now" to get past a fighter as clever as Jones. Christ, we've seen in the past Jones isn't scared of a scrap. Smith isn't good enough for a dog fight with Jones because Jones is too smooth and clever for that.

I think Smith getting that shot is more a sign of the dearth of talent in the 205lbs division at the moment, coupled with the fact that Jones has beaten most of the top contenders already. Besides Walker, who may or may not have what it takes to even be competitive with Jones, who else is there?

Rockhold has been making a fair few waves about making the transition up to 205lbs hasn't he? With his name value, combined with a lack of credible contenders, he's only probably a win away from having his name tossed into the ring. Not that it's any given he gives Jones a tougher fight, but at least on paper he's got those past credentials of being a former champion, plus it would be another fight in the "Jones vs AKA" story to add some fuel to the fire.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

I think Smith getting that shot is more a sign of the dearth of talent in the 205lbs division at the moment, coupled with the fact that Jones has beaten most of the top contenders already. Besides Walker, who may or may not have what it takes to even be competitive with Jones, who else is there?

That was really highlighted when they brought up Smith beat Evans and old Shogun as part of his recent "impressive" victories.

Dana said Santos is next for Jones. I'm sure Jones handles him too. Be funny if ATT spend the rounds telling him to just come forward.

He's a back belt in BJJ and Muay Thai I think, so he should have some more avenues he can go down than Smith (who's also a BJJ black belt apparently, which shocked me when I found out). While Santos was fighting Gegard Mousasi at UFC 200 Anthony Smith was still working full-time as a construction worker from what I read a while back.

Again though, taking all of that into account I give Santos the same chance that Smith had, a punchers chance, and if he's doing well defensively but not coming forward I fully expect his team to just tell him to come forward and go for it.

• Paid Members

Rockhold needs to win a fight before he can be considered. I like 205lb at the moment though, the old guard is moving out and there's some fresh, exciting guys looking to challenge for the title. Its just an issue that the actual Champion is probably the GOAT and makes them all look pretty average.

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Rockhold needs to win a fight before he can be considered. I like 205lb at the moment though, the old guard is moving out and there's some fresh, exciting guys looking to challenge for the title. Its just an issue that the actual Champion is probably the GOAT and makes them all look pretty average.

Very true, but I could see them giving him an easy fight as a showcase to help propel him up the rankings. Probably be a good thing for him as well, there's at least 4/5 contenders ahead of him in the Middleweight rankings, and that cut down to 185lbs can't be enjoyable. Cormier's had a flawless transition since moving up in the weight class, that's got to provide some encouragement at the very least he could go and attempt to replicate his success.

I quite like the dynamic of Light Heavyweight at the moment to be honest. Yeah, it's not star-studded as it has been over the years, but the conception of all these new contenders squaring off to take on the big, final boss in Jones is pretty enjoyable. Much more appealing than "CHAMP CHAMP" fights or interim championships left, right and centre.

• Paid Members

I can’t stomach Jones but I’ll happily admit I’d cheer him on as he rags Rockhold about like a lion does an antelope’s neck. It’d be a weird but refreshing change watching a fight where Jones actually isn’t the smuggest cunt in the cage for once as well. Believe, conceive, achieve. Weak as piss. Kiss my arse. 

• Paid Members

Not a good look. 

From a fight perspective, the UFC have Usman/Colby, Usman/Askren on tap now. Dana said they'll go with Colby but they are both must be painful fights for Dana to make 😄 

12 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Hmmm, probably for the best that Dean stopped the fight after all. 

RightCreamyFugu.webp

Yeah, I did think that people saying "no way can you go out from a bulldog choke applied like that" was a bit off. We're not talking about some regular fighter who's grabbed the hold in an attempt to buy time, we're talking about an Olympic level grappler who, despite having a body that doesn't scream athlete at you, has a particular type of strength.

I don't care what Lawler says, his hand dropped and when Herb shook it, it didn't respond like the arm of a man who was fully awake. We've all seen guys go out then snap back quick when the ref steps in, and I think that's what happened here.

Lawler saying he was just resting there, waiting on Askren to blow his arms out? He'd have still been there right now if that was the tactic.

Archived