Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Absolutely. Jones is a smart customer, and I think he knows that Smith is sufficiently below him in terms of ability that he now has a singular opportunity to make the kind of statement that not only tells people he's back, but that he's out for the big matches and the big money he's missed out on. And Dana's made it clear from the way he's treated Woodley that he's only going to reward fighters who stand out and don't play it safe.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Upsets happen. I doubt Jones will go an entire career without getting something. However, pure skill v skill Jones gobbles up Smith and he becomes just another number to pad out the Jones GOAT record. At LHW I don't know how anyone competes unless they have some mad Rumble style attribute. We just saw how Jones handles Gus. Considering, he looked so scarily dominant.

• Paid Members

Seeing how Jones has handled both the wildmen and the calmer, skillful fighters, it's difficult to picture anyone current who might be able to take him on. I've said before that I think Jones might have the best fight IQ in the business; he's shown an ability to do damage or disrupt an opponent's game from almost any position, even ones that traditionally have been used by opponents to cause problems for fighters like him. Additionally, he's able to neutralise his opponent's most dangerous weapons, like he did with DC, and Rumble showed himself to be a powerful but very limited fighter - it seemed like if he couldn't bully his opponent, he couldn't summon any other resources mentally to win. He has a better puncher's chance than most, but Jones seems to be able to reduce that chance very quickly.

Is there anyone around who's good and has particularly unorthodox and awkward movement? Because it strikes me that that might be closest anyone comes to causing Jones problems, outside any element of surprise like Gus had for him the first time around.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Who could possibly fit that description? 

340C22CC-B764-40D0-878E-02BF56946934.gif

I was thinking him, but I think you said in a previous post you didn't think he'd be any trouble for Jones? Might have got that wrong though.

• Paid Members

Nah, I don’t think he’s got much for Jones. I don’t think anyone of the current crop at 205 does, as long as Jones keeps his current form. I’d like Walker’s chances better than Anthony Smith or Thiago Santos though. Or even up and comers who I rate like Dominick Reyes or Aleksandar Rakic, just because he’s so unpredictable and fearless in there. He’d still almost certainly get demolished by Jones but I think a guy like that has a bit of a higher probability of landing something in the chaos. I actually like both Reyes and Rakic to go further than Walker myself but as a matchup for Jones I think Walker probably has the best chance at throwing Jones off, if anyone’s going to. 

It’s all straw clutching though. The chance of Jones losing at 205 anytime soon is probably about as likely as...I don’t know, finding a single grain of salt in an Olympic sized swimming pool 😉

Oh and this is worth a look. Tyron Woodley and Ben Askren media scrum;

That’s your next Lethal Weapon film right there. 

A must watch just to hear Askren’s attempt at rapping. Seriously. ‘Hip Hop & Flip Flops’ needs to be a podcast with these two. Woodley is so much more likeable when he’s with Askren. Askren is such an odd and funny character that it seems to bring Woodley’s guard down and he comes off better for it. 

• Paid Members

I reckon the fighter who has Jones' number is probably someone who's just so out there, they most likely don't do all that well in general. Like that Michel Pereira guy. He's clearly not the best in the world with 9 losses, and would probably be small at 205, but as we often say, styles make fights, and I can't help wondering that, should the remote possibility even arise that he ever faces Jones, we could see on JJ's record "TKO by Moonsault" or something. 

• Paid Members

Man, Covington is such a little knob. He was never going to get answers from Dana on camera and although he might have a valid point that it should be him getting the Woodley fight, going out of your way to be annoying and adversarial to the people who pay you probably isn’t the smartest career move. Still, I have to admit I did chuckle when he came around the corner and you saw Dana’s face. It was that face you make when you see the twat at work coming your way and you can’t avoid them. Easily the most entertaining thing Colby has been involved in for me. Well, since Werdum lobbed a boomerang off his swede anyway.

Few more bits and bobs...

Jon Jones says ”I have no shame”...oh we know that, Jon. We know that;

Talks picograms again, Smith as a “refreshing” opponent and a “legitimate threat”, dealing with USADA and staying active. 

Anthony Smith; 

Talks Jon Jones, weight cutting, the title and Thiago Santos’ win last week. Seems a great guy. Love his whole attitude and approach to fighting, and this fight in particular. 

Well reknowned chatterbox Robbie Lawler;

Talks his training camp and the fight with Askren. ”It’s always the same gameplan for me, go out there and kick the guy’s ass”. Never change, Robert. This video contains zero fucks given. 

A dapper Johnny Walker, looking like he was lifted right off the top of a wedding cake;

Talks his style, Cirkunov and a potential fight with Jon Jones down the road.

The adorable Polyana Viana;

Talks beating up muggers and her fight on Saturday night. Seriously, I know it’s a bit shallow just talking about her looks but how pretty is she? 😍

And a nice little piece on Zabit Magomedsharipov; 

He’s not quite as pretty as Polyana Viana but he can fight a bit. And run up walls. 

23fucking5. 

I remember us all giving Holly no chance against Rousey, talking as if it was a foregone conclusion, and there was even doubt over if she should have been next in line as her performances up to that point hadn't been great.

Smith is far from the favourite, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did come in, get involved in a bit of a trading of blows and catch Jones behind the ear. It can happen to anyone.

Interesting that another fighter is repeatedly testing positive for steroid metabolites in a similar manner to Jones. The fighter has yet to be named. The UFC and USADA no longer announce potential violations and wait until the conclusion of the adjudication process.

• Paid Members

@David It can but you can say that about any underdog. It’s nothing to base any kind of prediction off really is it? It’s purely a puncher’s chance. It could happen and, like I said before, if there’s one thing I’ve really liked seeing from Smith during this buildup it’s how calm and unfazed he seems by the whole thing. Experience is big and for a young man Smith has a lot of experience. He’s fought a lot, in a lot of places and seen pretty much every style. He’s had the highs and lows. He’s probably getting his arse kicked but that’s clearly something he doesn’t have any fear of. But nobody, outside of Smith’s family and camp, is calling a Smith win here with a straight face and really believing it. I’m not having it. 

And yeah @jimufctna24 Jones mentioned that in the scrum I posted. Wonder who it is. 

• Paid Members

This is fucking phenomenal. 

Zabit, The Master & The Shaolin of Dagestan; 

20 minute documentary on Zabit and his background. Really digs into the region of Dagestan and makes it even more clear why so many beasts come out of that part of the world. The bit near the end is especially great as you see the comparisons of Zabit’s fighting style and the kids in Russia training those very same techniques. To us Zabit’s style is weird and unorthodox but watching this you can see exactly where it came from. To hear guys like Frankie Edgar and Marlon Moraes speak so highly of Zabit as well, you really get the sense he’s a special fighter. 

20 minutes well spent. Watch it. It’s as educational as it is entertaining and the guy narrating it sounding like something out of Goodfellas makes it even better. 

”He may not look like much, but he will Za-Beat your ass all ovah the fuckin’ place!”

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

I remember us all giving Holly no chance against Rousey, talking as if it was a foregone conclusion, and there was even doubt over if she should have been next in line as her performances up to that point hadn't been great.

Smith is far from the favourite, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did come in, get involved in a bit of a trading of blows and catch Jones behind the ear. It can happen to anyone.

The difference was, everyone knew Holly had a chance if it played out on the feet. Smith doesn't really have any clear path to victory outside of landing a pot shot. It can 100% happen but im putting this in Serra/GSP territory. 

Jon Jones is one of the few modern day fighters who just seems to eliminate any kind of threat against him, he beats really good fighters with such ease. 

Im fully behing Smith though for the underdog factor, i think hes played his part brilliantly going in too.

Archived