Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I’d absolutely give Walker a title shot next Dave, but it sounds like it’s going to be Jones vs Santos next and I don’t think Walker is going to wait. He might, maybe the title shot carrot will be enough to convince him to just wait a few months but he seems like a guy who wants to stay active. Providing his shoulder is OK, I can see him back in there again soon. Possibly on that 237 card in Brazil in May. I’d rather he wait for the Jones vs Santos winner because, as you say, 205 isn’t heaving with contenders for Jones and Walker is a rare interesting and marketable one that’s fallen right in the UFC’s lap at the perfect time. 

But I reckon he’ll be back in there before we know it. My guess is we get Walker vs someone in May, and Jones vs Santos on the big July PPV. Then we just have to hope that Walker comes through with another win and we get Jones vs Walker later in the year. 

Just imagine though, Walker wins another fight in May, challenges Jones for the strap in say November at MSG. And pulls it off. I know it’s a crazy thought but how mad would it be? Walker only debuted in November just gone. Imagine a scenario where he goes from total unknown to 5-0 in the UFC, UFC champ and the Jon Jones slayer within one calendar year?! Would be absolutely bonkers. 

FA46B238-C7EB-402B-9BE6-3527A38113A9.gif

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

They just repeated the same nothing advice after every round that changed nothing, which maybe exposes his coaches - it's fairly common knowledge there are a lot of coaches out there that shout out that stuff because they're frauds. At least offering something technical or change it up when it's clear nowt it happening. "Get after it" x 4 is such bollocks, it's no wonder someone as switched on as Jones made it through so easy. 

Again, what could they say? He's in against probably the greatest to ever do it, so I don't think any number of tactical tweaks are going to make much difference. Smith could only do what he could do, and if that doesn't work then that's how it goes. The coaching staff were actually right in telling him to move forward and at least try to get something done offensively. He was coping well defensively, but just needed that extra bit of belief to try and make something happen.

Personally, I think after the first round he had set himself a goal of going the distance and not losing by KO or submission. I think he saw that as a victory of sorts.

4 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Huh? That wasn't necessarily my point. I'm purely on about a good fight with some buzz, which makes it a no-brainer. I typed that knowing what Dana is about Davo, doesn't mean it's not a good match up despite Dana being a cock. The Marty from Nebraska stuff is some of Askern's best stuff. As I mentioned, Colby is next, sadly.

I'm actually one of the few who thinks Covington, for all his forced "persona" nonsense is actually due a shot. He's 9-1 in the UFC, on a six fight streak that's seen him beat RDA, Maia, Dong Hyun Kim and some others. His record is pretty similar to that of Usman. He's the interim title holder (despite Dana taking it off him, he still won the fucking thing) and deserves a crack at the championship.

• Paid Members

I don’t think you’re one of few Dave. As much as I can’t stand Covington I think pretty much everyone accepts that he earned his shot when he beat Dos Anjos and became interim champion. 

Whether Dana screwed him over or Colby was offered Woodley and turned it down, it looks like Colby is getting his shot next so we can finally start getting some answers on who the best welterweight in the world is. I thought it was Woodley but Usman’s performance last night was one of those that makes you have to sit back and reassess everything. It sounds harsh on Woodley because he’s been a great champion but Usman vs Covington with the winner facing Askren is the route I’d like to see this thing take now. But Lawler could well throw a spanner in the works and maybe Woodley gets back in there. 

170 is on fire at the moment. Really has become one of my favourite divisions. 

• Paid Members

A prime GSP in that mix would’ve been fascinating. Him vs any of them would be really interesting matchups style-wise for different reasons but also that one common thing they all have - really high level wrestling. GSP beat some quality wrestlers in the heyday like Hughes, Trigg, Koscheck and Fitch but I think Usman, Woodley, Askren and Covington are a more advanced version of that. Shame we don’t have a time machine. 

Some info regarding payouts, if you're into that sort of thing. Doesn't include sponsorship cash;

Jon Jones: $500,000 (no win bonus)
Anthony Smith ($350,000)

Kamaru Usman: $350,000 (no win bonus)
Tyron Woodley: $500,000

Ben Askren: $350,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus)
Robbie Lawler: $200,000

Weili Zhang: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus)
Tecia Torres: $36,000

Pedro Munhoz: $96,000 (includes $48,000 win bonus)
Cody Garbrandt: $130,000

Zabit Magomedsharipov: $110,000 (includes $55,000 win bonus)
Jeremy Stephens: $67,000

Johnny Walker: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus)
Misha Cirkunov: $45,000

Cody Stamann: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus)
Alejandro Perez: $42,000

Diego Sanchez: $198,000 (includes $99,000 win bonus)
Mickey Gall: $30,000

Edmen Shahbazyan: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus)
Charles Byrd: $12,000

Macy Chiasson: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
Gina Mazany: $14,000

Hannah Cifers: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
Polyana Viana: $12,000

• Paid Members

See, David the move forward advice may have been right but it didn't matter because their fighter never done it. I imagine partly because they had no ideas on how to get him forward without Jones doing the work, which is my point. Jones is the better fighter, no doubt. Early on you saw Smith try timing the right hand after faking the left but Jones saw it coming all night and was having some success with the leg kicks, but seemed to abandon that.

I was into Colby before it was cool. Fuck y'all.

4 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

See, David the move forward advice may have been right but it didn't matter because their fighter never done it.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was bad advice. There wasn't really much else they could tell him I don't think. Despite Smith talking a good fight, he came in with a punchers chance, and the only way a punchers chance can work is by actually punching. 

It wasn't great advice, but i don't think there' much else that they could say. Smith is a limited fighter, isn't he? This isn't AKA working the corner with DC we're talking about. Smith doesn't have many wrinkles to his game, he's a standup guy who can take a punch and who's durable.

If he had a ground game they could maybe have advised on that, or if he had fast hands, or outstanding footwork, something. He doesn't though, he hits hard, he's reasonably tall, can take a punch, and is willing to trade if the chance arises.

As a fan I don't think there's anything else they could tell him. He was kind of performing to his best. He wasn't getting caught much, he wasn't being taken down, but at the same time he simply wasn't good enough to make his offence count.

The only other thing his corner could have said was "well Tony, you gave it your best but unless you catch him with a shot you ain't gonna win. At best you're gonna survive all five frames and walk away with some dignity," which is what they did tell him in a roundabout, less deflating way.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

The only other thing his corner could have said was "well Tony, you gave it your best but unless you catch him with a shot you ain't gonna win. At best you're gonna survive all five frames and walk away with some dignity," which is what they did tell him in a roundabout, less deflating way.

"Fancy a pint later, mate" would have been just as good. 

3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

"Fancy a pint later, mate" would have been just as good.

It seriously would have. You could have stuck Javier Mendez, Rafael Cordeiro, and Andre Pederneiras in Smith's corner and their advice would have probably amounted to the same as he was being told by his coaching team.

He came in with limited ability, and fought to the best of it. Simple as that.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, David said:

You could have stuck Javier Mendez, Rafael Cordeiro, and Andre Pederneiras in Smith's corner and their advice would have probably amounted to the same as he was being told by his coaching team.

That's an agree to disagree. Factory X gym is hardly renowned for it's excellence. Maybe the elite coaches would have just told him "best of luck, ya tit", but maybe they would have also reminded him about the leg kicks or that right hand set up he abandoned. Maybe.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was bad advice. There wasn't really much else they could tell him I don't think. Despite Smith talking a good fight, he came in with a punchers chance, and the only way a punchers chance can work is by actually punching. 

i hate to say it, but i agree with David.

Smith's corner were literally just trying to fire their guy up and get him to turn it into a dog fight. No amount of technical advice was gonna help him, he was outclassed. Smith pretty much stopped doing what he promised pre-fight that he was going too, his corner was just trying to make him have a little more belief in himself.

Archived