Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Mark Coleman, looking like a white Bill Cosby, talks Askren vs Lawler and the finish;

I love Coleman but he doesn’t sound right here to me. Anyone know what’s up? I know he’s had a hard old career but he looks and sounds proper knackered for 54.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I love Coleman but he doesn’t sound right here to me. Anyone know what’s up? I know he’s had a hard old career but he looks and sounds proper knackered for 54.

I have a sad feeling that we'll see more fighters end up like Coleman as they age, after putting their bodies through a lifetime of amateur wrestling and then MMA. 

Amateur wrestling takes its toll for sure, it's a pretty brutal enterprise. There's a new documentary about it that has flown under the radar, but sounds great. Review here:

https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review-wrestles-triumph-is-its-unmistakable-humanity/

Coleman didn't sound that bad to me, considering, but who does his voice remind me of? He sounds just like a wrestler that I can't put my finger on...

We need a sitcom between Woodley's mum and Weidman's dad. Lawler is as chill a guy as they come, and Garbrandt's meathead corner screaming bloody murder at him is hilarious.

Woodley is a completely different story though, he looks absolutely crushed. Soundly beaten at his own game and it shows how hard a defeat that was to take in this video. I wonder if he takes some time off before his next fight to get his head back in the right place.

• Paid Members

those Thrill & The Agony pieces are brilliant, i forget to watch them sometimes but they are always great viewing.

(the above video is just a preview by the way, the full version goes to Fight Pass).

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Woodley is a completely different story though, he looks absolutely crushed. Soundly beaten at his own game and it shows how hard a defeat that was to take in this video. I wonder if he takes some time off before his next fight to get his head back in the right place.

What do you reckon as to Askren's assertion that it would've been a different story if Woodley had just pulled the trigger with his striking? Is he just being a good team-mate, or does he have a point?

Personally, whilst I don't really dislike Woodley, I'm always glad to see non-Americans, particularly those from Africa, Asia and South America, win belts in the UFC.

• Paid Members

Askren is obviously speaking from a biased view though. As well as being teammates, Woodley’s a longtime friend of Askren’s. Plus Askren went so far out pre-fight in predicting that Usman had nothing for Woodley, he couldn’t bring himself to give Marty his props. Not knocking Askren, I’d probably be biased as fuck if it was one of my best friends. But while it’s probably true that if Woodley pulled the trigger more he’d have done better, it’s easier said than done as Usman wasn’t allowing him to pull the trigger. He wasn’t letting Woodley set to strike or wrestle and was constantly disrupting his timing and switching up his own attacks. 

44 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

What do you reckon as to Askren's assertion that it would've been a different story if Woodley had just pulled the trigger with his striking? Is he just being a good team-mate, or does he have a point?

Personally, whilst I don't really dislike Woodley, I'm always glad to see non-Americans, particularly those from Africa, Asia and South America, win belts in the UFC.

Basically just echoing what Wand said. I'm sure it would've been different if Woodley pulled the trigger, because he hits like a truck. But then again, if he's out there head-hunting he's making himself more vulnerable to the takedown. Regardless, Usman fought almost the perfect fight to nullify any threat of that happening. Instead of being patient and trying to pick Woodley off bit by bit (Wonderboy x2, Till) - Usman took the fight to him from the first second and didn't let up the entire time. His pressure and smothering meant he didn't have to worry about getting cracked because he literally never presented any opportunity to get hit. He was smart as well in targeting the body, meaning that even if Woodley did land, how much pop would he have left in his arms?

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Racism against African Americans, eh? A career as a cop in the US awaits you, lad.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

Racism against African Americans, eh? A career as a cop in the US awaits you, lad.

Quiet, porridge wog.

• Paid Members

Woodley has been guilty of going into his shell several times in his career. He even did in title fights he won, like the Wonderboy fights. There were long stalemates in those fights because Wonderboy feared what may come back at him but Woodley was just as reluctant to throw. people have long said that Woodley fought reserved in his fights because of issues with his gas tank earlier in his career, so maybe his reluctance to let his hands go still relates back to that. Maybe its because he simply doesnt like getting into striking exchanges. You could sense the frustration and disappointment in his coaches voice in that video too. Its like sending someone into a gun fight with the biggest weapon only for them not to use it.

Archived