Jose Lothario RIP

seph

• Paid Members

Oh I get to do it this time!

I was only listening to The Lapsed Fan Podcast on WCCW yesterday and they were saying he was still going and they always think he's dead.

I only know him really from being with HBK at Wrestlemania 12 but I hear he was a pretty big star. 

• Paid Members

I wonder if anyone remembers him for anything other than that run with HBK in 1996? He was just one of those baffling characters to me. I used to dip in and out back then (not by choice) so I just had no idea who he was or where he came from. Got to be a candidate for the most pointless manager ever with HBK always looking like he wanted to be anywhere else.

Highlight was when Lawler called his son "Hose B".

The weird thing about Lothario is how he was so incongruent with Michaels trying to attract a new, young audience. This fairly doddery old man strolling to the ring was the antithesis of Michaels at the time and didn't do much for his credibility. I can see McMahon was going for a Rocky style underdog helped by his aging mentor but it just looked lame. Cornette said he was disgusted at how Michaels would talk to and about Jose in 1996-7. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

The weird thing about Lothario is how he was so incongruent with Michaels trying to attract a new, young audience. This fairly doddery old man strolling to the ring was the antithesis of Michaels at the time and didn't do much for his credibility. I can see McMahon was going for a Rocky style underdog helped by his aging mentor but it just looked lame. Cornette said he was disgusted at how Michaels would talk to and about Jose in 1996-7. 

TBH I bought it as a 12 year old at the time.

Jose was one of the few likeable things about Michaels' character back then, although looking back I agree that HBK just thought he was getting in the way.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I was only listening to The Lapsed Fan Podcast on WCCW yesterday and they were saying he was still going and they always think he's dead.

Sign me up for this, Fucker looked 500 years old in the mid 90's and he spent forever in a business with an attrition rate like day one of the Somme. 

• Paid Members

Jose walking himself to the ring and climbing the ropes to Sexy Boy ostensibly making his entrance for the main event of Mania 12 is fucking hilarious watching it back. But yeah, he was both "Who? Why do I care?" and incongruous during that run. Although Sid got good heat powerbombing Pete.

I loved Sid.

11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I wonder if anyone remembers him for anything other than that run with HBK in 1996? He was just one of those baffling characters to me. I used to dip in and out back then (not by choice) so I just had no idea who he was or where he came from. Got to be a candidate for the most pointless manager ever with HBK always looking like he wanted to be anywhere else.

Highlight was when Lawler called his son "Hose B".

Luna Vachon as Shawns valet runs Jose close for most questionable seconding. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, JudyBagwell said:

Luna Vachon as Shawns valet runs Jose close for most questionable seconding. 

f6627b6cbd7322b3c5524a50a19ae6bb--luna-v

An attempt to portray Shawn as more "raw" - less lace, more leather - orrrr.... were we supposed to think he'd traded up from Sherri to a younger, kinkier model?? Were we supposed to believe HBK found Luna attractive? Were WE supposed to find Luna attractive? Or was she just coming for Sherri and Shawn was a means to an end? Don't recall anything about it in Shawn's book so... ideas?

• Paid Members

It made perfect sense to me at the time. Shawn was a coward, and he was terrified of Sherri so he hooked up with Luna for protection.

Off screen, I don’t think they thought Shawn was big enough to be a credible heel on his own at that time. Putting him with Luna feels like an attempt to give his act a bit more of an edge.

Sort of like they did later with HHH and Chyna.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

It made perfect sense to me at the time.

Once you got past "Who the fuck is this then?"

2 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Sort of like they did later with HHH and Chyna.

Hunter needed a heater. He had a great character but I'm not sure any of us really hated him until the Perfect stuff, then later "his woman beats his opponent up" heat.

Does Mr Hughes with Hunter count as an 8 on the Shawn/Luna scale?

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, air_raid said:

Once you got past "Who the fuck is this then?"

Hunter needed a heater. He had a great character but I'm not sure any of us really hated him until the Perfect stuff, then later "his woman beats his opponent up" heat.

Does Mr Hughes with Hunter count as an 8 on the Shawn/Luna scale?

Probably more “WHAT the fuck is that?” to be fair. Luna was quite a shock to my 11 year old self.

Aye. I hated HHH back then but more in a “he’s boring” kind of way (though I did like Terra Ryzing for some reason). I didn’t see him as a threat to....anyone until Chyna gave his act some teeth. Looking back, she’s absolutely the star of their partnership at first.

Hughes is an odd one. His character fit the gimmick far better than Chyna did but he was even more boring than Hunter.

This is all making me realise what a mad decision it was to put Jose with Shawn at that point. He added nothing but detracted from the “cool” factor a fair bit. 

Archived