VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

58 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Same could be said of telling people who work in the meat industry that they can simply get a new job.

Well they can. A lot of slaughterhouse workers have depression and PTSD from the conditions they work in. I personally know a guy who quit because of the the things I was saying but mostly due to getting his daughter to go vegan. Now he is a long distance lorry driver and considerably happier. 

Why wouldn’t you want someone to find another job that doesn’t mentally damage them? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well they can. A lot of slaughterhouse workers have depression and PTSD from the conditions they work in. I personally know a guy who quit because of the the things I was saying but mostly due to getting his daughter to go vegan. Now he is a long distance lorry driver and considerably happier. 

Why wouldn’t you want someone to find another job that doesn’t mentally damage them? 

I think you might have got a lot less grief earlier, if you'd put it like that. At the time, it just came across as callous and uncaring. I say this as someone who's actually enjoyed the photos of the food and the less sharp points of the debate that you've posted.

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

You're making the presumption that everyone in the meat industry is being damaged by their job.  You've also claimed that 50% of the NFL are vegan.  So, with respect, I don't think everyone in the meat industry (which isn't limited to slaughterhouses) is being mentally damaged by it.

That's great that the guy is now happier.  However, did he just get that job overnight?  Or did he have to train for it?  Whilst training, who provided for his family?  And isn't he polluting the environment with his new job? (That last one is snide, isn't it)

I'm all for people wanting to be not so much happy, but not damaged by their job.  And it's all well and good saying they can get another job but there are so many factors to take into consideration, such as location, hours, wages, a saturated market, availability, self confidence, lack of relevant skills, no confidence at interviews that one could say suggesting to simply get a new job is extremely rude, dismissive and stupid

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I know a Nurse who left due to stress. CLOSE ALL THE HOSPITALS.

Well the difference is that job is pretty essential, where as eating meat isn’t. Bout as relevant as comparing it to closing coal mines.

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You're making the presumption that everyone in the meat industry is being damaged by their job.  You've also claimed that 50% of the NFL are vegan.  So, with respect, I don't think everyone in the meat industry (which isn't limited to slaughterhouses) is being mentally damaged by it.

That's great that the guy is now happier.  However, did he just get that job overnight?  Or did he have to train for it?  Whilst training, who provided for his family?  And isn't he polluting the environment with his new job? (That last one is snide, isn't it)

I'm all for people wanting to be not so much happy, but not damaged by their job.  And it's all well and good saying they can get another job but there are so many factors to take into consideration, such as location, hours, wages, a saturated market, availability, self confidence, lack of relevant skills, no confidence at interviews that one could say suggesting to simply get a new job is extremely rude, dismissive and stupid

It’s nice that you have one fact you can keep bringing up to try and discredit me. Logically, how would people not be damaged by slaughtering truck loads of animals at once? Most people acknowledge they couldn’t do it themselves. How do you think people will react to having to do it every day for years? 

Ive already said I’ve attended plenty of vigils, I’ve met slaughterhouse workers. Lost of them. Occasionally we meet one who seems alright, but usually they are not right. You can see clearly it has effected them. 

I don’t know the details of how he went about getting a new job, but I’m pretty sure it is quite common for people to eat new jobs. Are we all supposed to do the same job we picked right after coming out of school for the rest of our lives? Has no one here ever gotten a new job? 

I keep having to mention that jobs have been coming and going for years. Times change, that’s a fact. 

Its a total bullshit argument anyway because no one is eating meat so slaughterhouse workers have a job.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

No, it's still a bullshit stupid thing to say, and I'm pretty sure he would have still, rightfully, got grief for it.

My bad - I was referring more to his mode of expression rather than the content. But yeah, you're right.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Ive already said I’ve attended plenty of vigils, I’ve met slaughterhouse workers. Lost of them. Occasionally we meet one who seems alright, but usually they are not right. You can see clearly it has effected them.

Are they wearing t-shirts with what they eat written on it? 

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

No, it's still a bullshit stupid thing to say, and I'm pretty sure he would have still, rightfully, got grief for it.

I’ll get grief for pointing out any common sense. People will always need to eat, very few jobs will become totally obsolete.  

Have you worked in more than one profession since leaving school or have you just kept the same job you had since 18?

2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

It’s nice that you have one fact you can keep bringing up to try and discredit me

I'm not trying to discredit you, I'm saying that telling people to change jobs is totally reductive.  My point about becoming a HGV driver is you can't just become one, it takes training and costs.

The reason I initially mentioned coal mines all those pages ago was because of the effect closing them had on communities who relied on them.  You suddenly had swathes of people out of work from places that relied on them FOR work.  Now you have those people competing for what little work there was in the area.  You mention slaughterhouses as if they're the only places involved in the meat industry.  And yes I agree, how could you work in one and not be affected by what you see.

My parents home town had huge unemployment for young people.  A meat packing firm opened a premises on the outskirts of town and now employs a huge amount of people from the town and impact on the towns economy is night and day.  That's due to the meat industry and they don't kill any animal in that warehouse, they deal with their carcasses.  The people who work there can't simply get a new job because there aren't the jobs to get.

That's the point I'm trying to make but as you said, you couldn't care as it's their choice to work in that industry and I think that's fair enough as it's consistent with your ethics.

The demand for food won’t go away though, people are still going to eat. A meat packing firm would be replaced with another place that makes food. 

The pie and mash guy is a perfect example of this. People didn’t stop eating, they just started eating somewhere else that also employs people 

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The demand for food won’t go away though, people are still going to eat. A meat packing firm would be replaced with another place that makes food. 

The pie and mash guy is a perfect example of this. People didn’t stop eating, they just started eating somewhere else that also employs people 

But would it?  There wasn't a place before they arrived and there's no guarantee one would replace them.

But this goes back to what we were saying earlier.  It's societal norms and habits, and even fragile masculinity.  These are what need to be changed but people are selfish and don't want to change their habits.  We can see that with all aspects of life, such as climate change and recycling.  It doesn't mean that good folk shouldn't stop trying to change those norms though, change can happen and I hope it does.

People may moan about nanny state and all that but it can help.  Look at the plastic bag charge as an example, it took something as basic as 5p to make people rethink something as obvious as bringing your own bags to the supermarket.