Classic Eastenders

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Obsessed with it. Its on Drama every day. The acting is shocking. "Stupid Turk" Ali (Nick Cotton's words, not mine) doesnt just set the bar, he is the bar. Fucking dreadful. Mary the Punk is hilarious, though. She moans about everything. Lou Beale hates blacks, Asians, gays, you name it. Its a cast of amazing characters. You cant keep your eyes off them. Arthur Fowler cant find a job, but also cant be arsed to look for one.

There's a pair of Asians (cant act to save their lives), who got "go home wogs" sprayed all over their shop. Quite a major storyline, you'd think. A horrible hate crime, targetting this couple. It was all forgotten about 10 minutes later. The wife went to see Pauline and they had a cuppa. All was right with the world.

The best character in it by far is Rolly the Dog. The producers let him run free. They'll be doing their lines, and Rolly will jump on the bar and put his face into Lofty's trying to steal the scene.

As a man who doesnt sleep well ive started watching a few at 1am, as a kid i loved it, it doesnt do it for me like the old corries or neighbours or home and aways. It’s to grim. It got in its groove a couple years after it started but still its to grim. 

As for hate crimes, Alf Garnett was still calling his lodger a Coon or is it Koon? Till 1989. On bbc1 on a thursday night.

Edited by Porkchopcash

2 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Alf Garnett was still calling his lodger a Coon

But it affected Marigold so much that he ended up going to the US, renouncing his bentness, and radicalising people for Islam before being sent to prison where he was head of the muslims inside.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Best storyline ever.

I could be getting the timeline all wrong, but I'm certain during the build to this episode, Nigel is put in hospital with a suspected heart attack and they Doctor reveals its actually wind, brought on by stressing out over the team selection. Which adds more evidence this should have been a 90 minute spin off.

• Paid Members

If you look at the background in the Queen Vic pub (on the wall) during those shows shown on the Drama channel, a lot of shit is blurred out. Very odd, but it's probably Page 3, but they never had that many on the wall.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Robbie trying to order weed in an Amsterdam coffee shop, winking and saying "I'll have a black coffee"

Nigel, Phil and GrAnt being stranded in "France"..."ow far???"**

Jack Branning forgetting his fucking lines on the live episode*

*RIP Bradley, you're with the angles now, just want to run to you @   

**I've misremembered it, but it's still gold 

Edited by SuperBacon
RICKAAAAAAAY

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

As a man who doesnt sleep well ive started watching a few at 1am, as a kid i loved it, it doesnt do it for me like the old corries or neighbours or home and aways. It’s to grim. It got in its groove a couple years after it started but still its to grim.

It gets really grim once a gay guy comes in and Mark Fowler has AIDS. Both of which unrelated. I imagine they'll skip over a few episodes.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/15/2018 at 6:19 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

If you look at the background in the Queen Vic pub (on the wall) during those shows shown on the Drama channel, a lot of shit is blurred out. Very odd, but it's probably Page 3, but they never had that many on the wall.

This is the same with any London type 80s shit. Only Fools and Horses is the same. There's always a woman with her tits out on the wall, which I suppose you could get away with pre-watershred in the 80s.

31 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

This is the same with any London type 80s shit. Only Fools and Horses is the same. There's always a woman with her tits out on the wall, which I suppose you could get away with pre-watershred in the 80s.

Wasn't a lot of that the old peanuts boards?  The more bags that got sold the more got revealed like a dry roasted Catchphrase.